Win7: Cannot delete a file

Jeffrey Kaplan

Win7: Cannot delete a file
If there is a Windows 7 newsgroup, I cannot find it.

In one of my directories is a file that cannot be deleted. It is zero
bytes big, and when I try to delete it, Windows 7 (Home Premium x64)
tells me that it cannot because it's not found. The error dialog is
titled "Item not found" and the error message is:

Could not find this item
This is no longer located in {name of directory}. Verify the item's
location and try again

This is followed by the name of the file and base properties (type,
size, and date modified). There is no file extension, but there is the
dot-separator that goes between the name and the extension.

If I try to rename it, I get the same error.

I had scheduled and run a full boot-time scandisk, and no errors were
found. My system is kept reasonably defragmented with automatic
defragging when idle, and no viruses or other malware are found by my
security program, Kaspersky Internet Security v9, which keeps itself up
to date.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

"Take my advice and go back to the time you came from. The future
isn't what it used to be." (Amb. G'Kar, B5 "The Long Dark")
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Win7: Cannot delete a file
On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 14:22:59 +0000, Jeffrey Kaplan <nomail@gordol.org>
wrote:

> If there is a Windows 7 newsgroup, I cannot find it.

Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that there will be any Microsoft
Windows 7 newsgroups. Apparently Microsoft has decided that web-based
forums are better than newsgroups and they are putting their efforts
there. I'm personally sorry that's the case, but it's their decision,
not mine.

However there is at least one non-Microsoft Windows 7 newsgroup:
alt-windows7.general. Not all servers carry it (at least not yet), but
here's one free news server that does: aioe.org

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Jeffrey Kaplan

Re: Win7: Cannot delete a file
Previously on microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management, Ken
Blake, MVP said:

> On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 14:22:59 +0000, Jeffrey Kaplan <nomail@gordol.org>
> wrote:
>
> > If there is a Windows 7 newsgroup, I cannot find it.

> Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that there will be any Microsoft
> Windows 7 newsgroups. Apparently Microsoft has decided that web-based

Correction: I cannot find an +English+ Windows 7 group. There is a
"microsoft.public.it.windows7" accessible via albasini.com.

> However there is at least one non-Microsoft Windows 7 newsgroup:
> alt-windows7.general. Not all servers carry it (at least not yet), but
> here's one free news server that does: aioe.org

Ok, thanks.

I take it that either you have no input to my issue or aren't answer it
because this is a Vista group.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

"If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #75. No robots serving with me
will be permitted to have emotion chips.

Re: Cannot delete a file
"Jeffrey Kaplan" <nomail@gordol.org> wrote in message
news:0rnsh5tb30idlofnehi3if5dl0h511gk71@gordol.org ...
> If there is a Windows 7 newsgroup, I cannot find it.
>
> Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

I've seen alt.windows7.general and a few in other languages,
but not on the Microsoft news server.

Microsoft seems to be moving in the direction of less
newsgroups support for newer software, and switching to
website support instead.

However, they don't seem to be making any effort toward
telling those of us who don't have Windows 7 yet which
websites. Maybe they want to restrict our information on
whether Windows 7 has any problems until after we pay
for it.

Robert Miles