Single folder disappeared from desktop!

TeamReg

Single folder disappeared from desktop!

Hi guys,

Im new to the forums, Ive browsed here before & think its great!

I would really appreciate some help with a problem I have... Yesterday
a folder on my desktop completely vanished, it contained some important
photos, and after trying quite a few different ways of locating it Ive
had no luck as of yet...

The folder on my desktop was called 'Mannequin', containing about 30
photos. Yesterday I copied some more photos from my camera, around 180,
copying them into the 'Mannequin' folder, everything copied OK, and I
edited a couple of the photos.

Went back to the computer about 2-3 hours later, to find it was still
turned on, but the screen was black showing 'no signal'. Eventually I
had to force quit the machine and restart it. When it had restarted,
everything was fine & in order, except just ONE folder on my desktop was
missing, the 'Mannequin' one had totally vanished?

So I used start > search to try & find it, including non-indexed,
system files etc, which does bring up some past results but nothing from
yesterday apart from 'Recent items' which says it 'refers to a shortcut
which has been deleted'.

Ive tried the recycle bin, tried showing hidden-files, does anyone have
any suggestions? Ive been told 'system restore', but the only problem is
the photos I just copied over are very unlikely to be on that, and they
are now removed from the camera memory card to make way for more.

Please any suggestions would be massively appreciated!

Many thanks

--
TeamReg

Re: Single folder disappeared from desktop!
From Help

What are previous versions?
Previous versions are either backup copiesócopies of files and folders that
you back up by using the Back Up Files wizard, or shadow copiesócopies of
files and folders that Windows automatically saves as part of a restore
point. (Shadow copies can be copies of files on your computer or shared
files on a computer on a network.) You can use previous versions of files to
restore files that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were
damaged. Depending on the type of file or folder, you can open, save to a
different location, or restore a previous version

--
..
--
"TeamReg" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi guys,
>
> Im new to the forums, Ive browsed here before & think its great!
>
> I would really appreciate some help with a problem I have... Yesterday
> a folder on my desktop completely vanished, it contained some important
> photos, and after trying quite a few different ways of locating it Ive
> had no luck as of yet...
>
> The folder on my desktop was called 'Mannequin', containing about 30
> photos. Yesterday I copied some more photos from my camera, around 180,
> copying them into the 'Mannequin' folder, everything copied OK, and I
> edited a couple of the photos.
>
> Went back to the computer about 2-3 hours later, to find it was still
> turned on, but the screen was black showing 'no signal'. Eventually I
> had to force quit the machine and restart it. When it had restarted,
> everything was fine & in order, except just ONE folder on my desktop was
> missing, the 'Mannequin' one had totally vanished?
>
> So I used start > search to try & find it, including non-indexed,
> system files etc, which does bring up some past results but nothing from
> yesterday apart from 'Recent items' which says it 'refers to a shortcut
> which has been deleted'.
>
> Ive tried the recycle bin, tried showing hidden-files, does anyone have
> any suggestions? Ive been told 'system restore', but the only problem is
> the photos I just copied over are very unlikely to be on that, and they
> are now removed from the camera memory card to make way for more.
>
> Please any suggestions would be massively appreciated!
>
> Many thanks
>

> --
> TeamReg

Re: Single folder disappeared from desktop!
From Help

What are previous versions?
Previous versions are either backup copiesócopies of files and folders that
you back up by using the Back Up Files wizard, or shadow copiesócopies of
files and folders that Windows automatically saves as part of a restore
point. (Shadow copies can be copies of files on your computer or shared
files on a computer on a network.) You can use previous versions of files to
restore files that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were
damaged. Depending on the type of file or folder, you can open, save to a
different location, or restore a previous version

--
..
--
"TeamReg" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi guys,
>
> Im new to the forums, Ive browsed here before & think its great!
>
> I would really appreciate some help with a problem I have... Yesterday
> a folder on my desktop completely vanished, it contained some important
> photos, and after trying quite a few different ways of locating it Ive
> had no luck as of yet...
>
> The folder on my desktop was called 'Mannequin', containing about 30
> photos. Yesterday I copied some more photos from my camera, around 180,
> copying them into the 'Mannequin' folder, everything copied OK, and I
> edited a couple of the photos.
>
> Went back to the computer about 2-3 hours later, to find it was still
> turned on, but the screen was black showing 'no signal'. Eventually I
> had to force quit the machine and restart it. When it had restarted,
> everything was fine & in order, except just ONE folder on my desktop was
> missing, the 'Mannequin' one had totally vanished?
>
> So I used start > search to try & find it, including non-indexed,
> system files etc, which does bring up some past results but nothing from
> yesterday apart from 'Recent items' which says it 'refers to a shortcut
> which has been deleted'.
>
> Ive tried the recycle bin, tried showing hidden-files, does anyone have
> any suggestions? Ive been told 'system restore', but the only problem is
> the photos I just copied over are very unlikely to be on that, and they
> are now removed from the camera memory card to make way for more.
>
> Please any suggestions would be massively appreciated!
>
> Many thanks
>

> --
> TeamReg

TeamReg

Re: Single folder disappeared from desktop!

So can anyone help me? Pleeease would be hugely appreaciated!

--
TeamReg

Re: Single folder disappeared from desktop!
Well did you try it.

--
..
--

> So can anyone help me? Pleeease would be hugely appreaciated!
>

> --
> TeamReg

TeamReg

Re: Single folder disappeared from desktop!

Yes, Ive tried it but still could not retrieve the files/folder..

There were no 'back-up copies' obviously, but tried the system restore
in 3 different restore points, and the closest I got was getting the
'mannequin' folder back but empty with no files inside...

Thats pretty strange, it wouldnt show the new 180 photo files it
copied, but also had no trace of the 30 that were already in there, and
had been for some time?

On the system restore log, the event that coincides perfectly with my
computer crashing when I lost the folder is:

System: Scheduled checkpoint

Any new ideas?

Thanks

--
TeamReg

Re: Single folder disappeared from desktop!
No. No new ideas. Youcould try file recovery programs.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...ta= &aq=f&oq=
--
..
--

> Yes, Ive tried it but still could not retrieve the files/folder..
>
> There were no 'back-up copies' obviously, but tried the system restore
> in 3 different restore points, and the closest I got was getting the
> 'mannequin' folder back but empty with no files inside...
>
> Thats pretty strange, it wouldnt show the new 180 photo files it
> copied, but also had no trace of the 30 that were already in there, and
> had been for some time?
>
> On the system restore log, the event that coincides perfectly with my
> computer crashing when I lost the folder is:
>
> System: Scheduled checkpoint
>
> Any new ideas?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> TeamReg

Re: Single folder disappeared from desktop!
"TeamReg" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Yes, Ive tried it but still could not retrieve the files/folder..
>
> There were no 'back-up copies' obviously, but tried the system restore
> in 3 different restore points, and the closest I got was getting the
> 'mannequin' folder back but empty with no files inside...
>
> Thats pretty strange, it wouldnt show the new 180 photo files it
> copied, but also had no trace of the 30 that were already in there, and
> had been for some time?
>
> On the system restore log, the event that coincides perfectly with my
> computer crashing when I lost the folder is:
>
> System: Scheduled checkpoint
>
> Any new ideas?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> TeamReg

If your still have your older backups, try restoring that folder from
the next older one. That's likely to restore all the files that were there
before that backup, if it was done in a way to make it include that
folder.

Robert Miles

Re: Single folder disappeared from desktop!
"TeamReg" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Yes, Ive tried it but still could not retrieve the files/folder..
>
> There were no 'back-up copies' obviously, but tried the system restore
> in 3 different restore points, and the closest I got was getting the
> 'mannequin' folder back but empty with no files inside...

Note - if the system crash wiped out the backup program's list of
older backups, expect the have to tell the restore program that
you are restoring from a backup made on a different computer, so
that it will ignore the absence of that backup on the list of previous
backups.

If the folder never got onto any backups, you'll need to determine
a string of bytes in one of the missing files, then search the entire disk
(not just the portions currently marked as parts of files) for that
string.
The word "mannequin" MIGHT be a suitable string. The hard drive
may need to be mounted into a computer that has been told not to
write anything to it for this to succeed.

If you have enough money, you can arrange a search of the entire
with special equipment to look for information that has been
overwritten, but not enough times to totally destroy it.

Robert Miles