File Encrytion

Gene L.

File Encrytion
Is there a way to encrypt all the files on my hard drive? I know my word
processing and spreadsheet files have a Microsoft Office option but how
about e-mails and other non-Microsoft applications? If not, what is the best
way to wipe my hard drive completely clean?
Many thanks for your suggestions.
Gene L.

Gene L.

Re: File Encrytion
Sorry for my poor spelling, I meant "Encryption"- Thanks
"Gene L." <elieve@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to encrypt all the files on my hard drive? I know my word
> processing and spreadsheet files have a Microsoft Office option but how
> about e-mails and other non-Microsoft applications? If not, what is the
> best way to wipe my hard drive completely clean?
> Many thanks for your suggestions.
> Gene L.

Tom Ferguson

Re: File Encrytion
There are different methods/techniques available. Deciding which is the best
depends greatly on the purpose and ease of use needed.

Windows 2000 Professional, Server, Advanced Server and Datacenter editions
Windows XP Professional, Tablet PC Edition, Media Center Edition,
Professional x64 Edition
Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2, in both x86 and x64 editions
Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions[3]
Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate editions
Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

can all use the Encrypted File System. It is provided as part of those
systems but is not turned on by default. You can use the help system, BING
to Google to get information on it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ile-System-EFS

For file archives, you can use a simple file compressor option that includes
password protection. It is not the same as encryption/decryption, of course
but it might serve the intended purpose.

http://techblissonline.com/password-...windows-vista/

Note: the references are intended as examples and are by no means exhaustive
let alone complete.

Tom

"Gene L." <elieve@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to encrypt all the files on my hard drive? I know my word
> processing and spreadsheet files have a Microsoft Office option but how
> about e-mails and other non-Microsoft applications? If not, what is the
> best way to wipe my hard drive completely clean?
> Many thanks for your suggestions.
> Gene L.

Bob

Re: File Encrytion
Do you plan on ever using the files?

If you aren't you can use the File Menu Tools Shredder utility.

http://www.lopesoft.com/en/index.html

> Sorry for my poor spelling, I meant "Encryption"- Thanks
> "Gene L." <elieve@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way to encrypt all the files on my hard drive? I know my word
>> processing and spreadsheet files have a Microsoft Office option but how
>> about e-mails and other non-Microsoft applications? If not, what is the
>> best way to wipe my hard drive completely clean?
>> Many thanks for your suggestions.
>> Gene L.

Parrott

Re: File Encrytion

God by definition is the uncreated creator of the universe
"Gene L." <elieve@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:eQACNo2cKHA.4780@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Is there a way to encrypt all the files on my hard drive? I know my word
> processing and spreadsheet files have a Microsoft Office option but how
> about e-mails and other non-Microsoft applications? If not, what is the best
> way to wipe my hard drive completely clean?
> Many thanks for your suggestions.
> Gene L.

Why do you want to encrypt your files for?
I read the following from somewhere:

2. Reformat the Hard Drive and Re-install the Operating System
Reformatting a disk prepares it to accept a new operating system. It also wipes out everything on the hard drive. That's your goal.

Past versions of Windows (through Windows ME) allow you to create a start-up disk. You'll need one to reformat your hard drive. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel. Double-click Add/Remove Programs. Click Start-up Disk. Click Create Disk.

On Windows XP, you'll need to download the disk information. Go to BootDisk.com and click "DOS - Windows 9X/NT4/2000/XP Excellent Bootdisks." Download the Windows XP Custom Install Disk and save it to a floppy.

On all systems, shut down all open programs. Restart the computer with the floppy in the A: drive. At the A: prompt, type Format: C. Answer "yes" to the warning; you want to wipe out all the data. When the reformat finishes, put the Windows installation CD in the CD drive and remove the floppy. Restart and re-install Windows.

Reformatting will keep most people out of your old files. But spe******ed shareware exists to reclaim files after reformatting. If you do not know who will get the computer - or you do know and you don't trust them - stronger measures are required.

3. Buy Software and Overwrite the Disk, Again and Again and Again
If you don't know much about computers, this might be easier than Step 2. There are several programs that write gibberish to the hard drive. They promise that nobody will be able to find your files after the software is utilised.

Norton's SystemWorks includes an application called Wipe Info. OnTrack's DataEraser offers a similar feature, as does Jetico's BCWipe. There are more such applications on the Internet.

You can leave the operating system and other files on the hard disk, if you want. These programs can be set to overwrite only the unoccupied areas. The process can be slow, because they write to the disk repeatedly. You might want to run it overnight.

4. You're Totally Paranoid, so Get Out the Acetylene Torch
I'm not kidding. The only absolute and assured way of protecting your data is to destroy the hard drive. To do that, you need to remove it from the computer. If you want to save the rest of the computer, touch the machine's metal frame before reaching in. Static electricity can wreck the circuitry.

Unplug the wires on the hard drive and remove the mounting screws. The hard drive slides out from the back of its holder.

The Pentagon shreds its hard drives. That should work, assuming you can find a hard-drive shredder. I've never seen one.

You need to destroy the platters inside. Try smashing them with a hammer. Destroying them with a torch should work.

Step 4 seems excessive to me. But you're right to be paranoid about this. Identity theft has become overwhelming. Personally, I would use Step 3. I believe in being careful, no matter who gets the computer.

God Bless...

Gene L.

Re: File Encrytion
"Parrott" <heaven@heaven.heaven> wrote in message

> [...]

I'm not kidding. The only absolute and assured way of protecting your data
is to destroy the hard drive. To do that, you need to remove it from the
computer. If you want to save the rest of the computer, touch the machine's
metal frame before reaching in. Static electricity can wreck the circuitry.

Unplug the wires on the hard drive and remove the mounting screws. The hard
drive slides out from the back of its holder.

The Pentagon shreds its hard drives. That should work, assuming you can find
a hard-drive shredder. I've never seen one.

You need to destroy the platters inside. Try smashing them with a hammer.
Destroying them with a torch should work.

Step 4 seems excessive to me. But you're right to be paranoid about this.
Identity theft has become overwhelming. Personally, I would use Step 3. I
believe in being careful, no matter who gets the computer.

Thanks for taking the time to write. I have been slow in reading the replies
but yours is very detailed and makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your
expertise.

I do not wish to appear mysterious because I am just an average old-timer
who is considering the purchase of a new lap top. I would like to donate my
present desk computer to the local school system but I do not want to have
some personal information "pop up" accidentally. It would be just
embarrassing - not criminal.

With appreciation:

Gene L.

Kerry Brown

Re: File Encrytion

> I do not wish to appear mysterious because I am just an average old-timer
> who is considering the purchase of a new lap top. I would like to donate
> my present desk computer to the local school system but I do not want to
> have some personal information "pop up" accidentally. It would be just
> embarrassing - not criminal.

Does the desktop have a procedure to restore it to the factory setup? If it
does this will effectively erase everything on it and return it to the state
it came from the factory. It is possible that a determined hacker could
recover some information after this but it's unlikely someone would try.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Gene L.

Re: File Encrytion

>> I do not wish to appear mysterious because I am just an average old-timer
>> who is considering the purchase of a new lap top. I would like to donate
>> my present desk computer to the local school system but I do not want to
>> have some personal information "pop up" accidentally. It would be just
>> embarrassing - not criminal.
>>

> Does the desktop have a procedure to restore it to the factory setup? If
> it does this will effectively erase everything on it and return it to the
> state it came from the factory. It is possible that a determined hacker
> could recover some information after this but it's unlikely someone would
> try.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Sounds like a good option. My computer is a Dell E521 with Windows Vista
Home Premium, 32 bit.. I do not see any system tool to restore the machine
to the factory shipped condition. Can you suggest where I might look. My
warrant with Dell has expired so their technical support is no longer
available to me.
Thanks again.
Gene L.

Kerry Brown

Re: File Encrytion

>>> I do not wish to appear mysterious because I am just an average
>>> old-timer who is considering the purchase of a new lap top. I would like
>>> to donate my present desk computer to the local school system but I do
>>> not want to have some personal information "pop up" accidentally. It
>>> would be just embarrassing - not criminal.
>>>

>> Does the desktop have a procedure to restore it to the factory setup? If
>> it does this will effectively erase everything on it and return it to the
>> state it came from the factory. It is possible that a determined hacker
>> could recover some information after this but it's unlikely someone would
>> try.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>>

> Sounds like a good option. My computer is a Dell E521 with Windows Vista
> Home Premium, 32 bit.. I do not see any system tool to restore the machine
> to the factory shipped condition. Can you suggest where I might look. My
> warrant with Dell has expired so their technical support is no longer
> available to me.
> Thanks again.
> Gene L.

There are instructions here: