It is all gone!!!

mrskrabitz

It is all gone!!!

Please tell me I can find my files... PLEASE...

So I went to bed last night and Microsoft sent an update. I woke this
morning, logged in and my desktop appeared to have been reset. Upon
further investigation, I find that all my files are GONE... music,
photos, outlook .pst..... everything.... it's like Vista has been
recently loaded onto my computer... gone gone gone... everything. I did
a search for windows.old, nothing. Can I roll back the update? Will that
do anything? PLEASE HELP!

Thank you so much in advance!

Susan

--
mrskrabitz
whs

Re: It is all gone!!!

Before updates are done, Vista writes a restore point. Roll the system
back to that restore point.

--
whs
Peter Foldes

Re: It is all gone!!!
Which Update are you talking about

--
Peter

"mrskrabitz" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Please tell me I can find my files... PLEASE...
>
> So I went to bed last night and Microsoft sent an update. I woke this
> morning, logged in and my desktop appeared to have been reset. Upon
> further investigation, I find that all my files are GONE... music,
> photos, outlook .pst..... everything.... it's like Vista has been
> recently loaded onto my computer... gone gone gone... everything. I did
> a search for windows.old, nothing. Can I roll back the update? Will that
> do anything? PLEASE HELP!
>
> Thank you so much in advance!
>
> Susan
>

> --
> mrskrabitz

mrskrabitz

Re: It is all gone!!!

unfortuntatly, I have never had system restore work successfullly... I
have in the past gone to run system restore (in xp and vista) selected a
date, and run it only to say it cannot do that. So I don't trust system
restore.

I don't know what happened, but when I went to the C drive and checked
under user, my files and documents were all there. I have since backed
up everything on my external hard drive... such fun!!!

Thank you so much for the help!

--
mrskrabitz
f/fgeorge

Re: It is all gone!!!
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:34:55 -0600, mrskrabitz
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>unfortuntatly, I have never had system restore work successfullly... I
>have in the past gone to run system restore (in xp and vista) selected a
>date, and run it only to say it cannot do that. So I don't trust system
>restore.
>
>I don't know what happened, but when I went to the C drive and checked
>under user, my files and documents were all there. I have since backed
>up everything on my external hard drive... such fun!!!
>
>Thank you so much for the help!

One Touch external hard drives are great for backups as are programs
like Acronis. Manually restoring is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE B??T!!
mrskrabitz

Re: It is all gone!!!

:Peter,

The updates that installed that night are as follows:

UPDATE FOR WINDOWS VISTA (KB973687)
UPDATE FOR WINDOWS VISTA (KB976098)
UPDATE FOR WINDOWS VISTA (KB976470)
UPDATE FOR MICROSOFT XML CORE SERVICES 4.0 SERVICE PACK 2 (KB973688)

I started the install before going to bed and when I woke the next
morning and logged on, it was as if I had just load Vista over xp, bad
bad bad... and very scary...

Happy Holidays!
Susan

--
mrskrabitz
mrskrabitz

Re: It is all gone!!!

Perhaps, but I am so glad to have all my files... SO GLAD!!!

f/fgeorge;1195103 Wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:34:55 -0600, mrskrabitz
> <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote:
> > > >

> > >unfortuntatly, I have never had system restore work successfullly... I
> > >have in the past gone to run system restore (in xp and vista) selected

> > >date, and run it only to say it cannot do that. So I don't trust

> > system
> > >restore.
> > >
> > >I don't know what happened, but when I went to the C drive and checked
> > >under user, my files and documents were all there. I have since backed
> > >up everything on my external hard drive... such fun!!!
> > >
> > >Thank you so much for the help! > >

> One Touch external hard drives are great for backups as are programs
> like Acronis. Manually restoring is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE B??T!!

--
mrskrabitz
wangdong

Re: It is all gone!!!
A third part repair tool called Advanced Outlook Repair may be
helpful. It can recover your outlook pst. You can download a free demo
version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe . I think it is a
useful repair tool for you. It is easy to recover your PST file by
using its wizard. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders
and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST
files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

Wangdong