Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

System Restore 12 mins to load

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-23-2009
MPS
 

Posts: n/a
System Restore 12 mins to load
Hi all,

one of our Vista Home Premium SP1 4GB, lots of disc, repeatedly takes 12
minutes to load System Restore.

Once loaded all functions behave allright.
Max. size is limited to 15GB using cmd > vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage
/On=[drive]: /For=[drive]: /Maxsize=[size]

Is it normal to load that long?
Users get impatient and laod again and get warning messages etc.

It used to be snappier.
How to shorten this time?

BTW Why does it use three discs? Overflow?
Curious,
Maria


vssadmin List ShadowStorage:

Microsoft Windows [versie 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. Alle rechten voorbehouden.

C:\Users\Junior2>vssadmin List ShadowStorage
vssadmin 1.1 - Opdrachtregelbeheerprogramma voor Volume Shadow Copy-service
(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Opslagkoppeling voor schaduwkopieën
Voor volume: (C\\?\Volume{d7ea5167-94a2-11de-a142-806e6f6e6963}\
Opslagvolume voor schaduwkopieën:
(C\\?\Volume{d7ea5167-94a2-11de-a142-806e
6f6e6963}\
Gebruikte opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 11.255 GB
Toegewezen opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 11.723 GB
Maximale opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 15 GB

Opslagkoppeling voor schaduwkopieën
Voor volume: (I\\?\Volume{9fb10e45-94e5-11de-9f0f-806e6f6e6963}\
Opslagvolume voor schaduwkopieën:
(I\\?\Volume{9fb10e45-94e5-11de-9f0f-806e
6f6e6963}\
Gebruikte opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 12.065 GB
Toegewezen opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 12.487 GB
Maximale opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 15 GB

Opslagkoppeling voor schaduwkopieën
Voor volume: (J\\?\Volume{687294ae-9ecf-11de-a2c2-806e6f6e6963}\
Opslagvolume voor schaduwkopieën:
(J\\?\Volume{687294ae-9ecf-11de-a2c2-806e
6f6e6963}\
Gebruikte opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 4.594 GB
Toegewezen opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 4.871 GB
Maximale opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 15 GB


C:\Users\

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2009
MPS
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Restore 12 mins to load -- addition
Hi, last night I installed 2 updates that were due, KB971961 and KB905866
and I shutdown the computer.
After startup this morning I tested Sys Restore and lo & behold: the list
of changes shows up after 5 seconds... what happened?

Are these updates related in any way to the Sys Restore application?
Any thoughts?
Puzzled,
Maria



"MPS" <maria.steyn@nospamorange.nl> schreef in bericht
news:%23i$XnvDbKHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
>
> one of our Vista Home Premium SP1 4GB, lots of disc, repeatedly takes 12
> minutes to load System Restore.
>
> Once loaded all functions behave allright.
> Max. size is limited to 15GB using cmd > vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage
> /On=[drive]: /For=[drive]: /Maxsize=[size]
>
> Is it normal to load that long?
> Users get impatient and laod again and get warning messages etc.
>
> It used to be snappier.
> How to shorten this time?
>
> BTW Why does it use three discs? Overflow?
> Curious,
> Maria
>
>
> vssadmin List ShadowStorage:
>
> Microsoft Windows [versie 6.0.6001]
> Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. Alle rechten voorbehouden.
>
> C:\Users\Junior2>vssadmin List ShadowStorage
> vssadmin 1.1 - Opdrachtregelbeheerprogramma voor Volume Shadow
> Copy-service
> (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.
>
> Opslagkoppeling voor schaduwkopieën
> Voor volume: (C\\?\Volume{d7ea5167-94a2-11de-a142-806e6f6e6963}\
> Opslagvolume voor schaduwkopieën:
> (C\\?\Volume{d7ea5167-94a2-11de-a142-806e
> 6f6e6963}\
> Gebruikte opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 11.255 GB
> Toegewezen opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 11.723 GB
> Maximale opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 15 GB
>
> Opslagkoppeling voor schaduwkopieën
> Voor volume: (I\\?\Volume{9fb10e45-94e5-11de-9f0f-806e6f6e6963}\
> Opslagvolume voor schaduwkopieën:
> (I\\?\Volume{9fb10e45-94e5-11de-9f0f-806e
> 6f6e6963}\
> Gebruikte opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 12.065 GB
> Toegewezen opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 12.487 GB
> Maximale opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 15 GB
>
> Opslagkoppeling voor schaduwkopieën
> Voor volume: (J\\?\Volume{687294ae-9ecf-11de-a2c2-806e6f6e6963}\
> Opslagvolume voor schaduwkopieën:
> (J\\?\Volume{687294ae-9ecf-11de-a2c2-806e
> 6f6e6963}\
> Gebruikte opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 4.594 GB
> Toegewezen opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 4.871 GB
> Maximale opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 15 GB
>
>
> C:\Users\
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2009
MPS
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Restore 12 mins to load -- addition
It now shows that SystemPropertiesProtextion.exe takes sometimes 12-18 mins
to load/display data but that rstrui.exe fom the run box starts directly.
They will launch VSSC.exe (Shadowcopy) and rstrui.exe respectively.
VSSC.exe can be stopped through Task Manager directly, rstrui.exe somehow
takes a number of minutes somehow to stop.
Once either one is running the message "wziard will be closed" is shown.
Either one will sometimes run or not.
I feel something is not right but what and why?

Any suggestions?
Looking forward,
Maria







"MPS" <maria.steyn@nospamorange.nl> schreef in bericht
news:%23ASg2CSbKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi, last night I installed 2 updates that were due, KB971961 and KB905866
> and I shutdown the computer.
> After startup this morning I tested Sys Restore and lo & behold: the list
> of changes shows up after 5 seconds... what happened?
>
> Are these updates related in any way to the Sys Restore application?
> Any thoughts?
> Puzzled,
> Maria
>
>
>
> "MPS" <maria.steyn@nospamorange.nl> schreef in bericht
> news:%23i$XnvDbKHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> one of our Vista Home Premium SP1 4GB, lots of disc, repeatedly takes 12
>> minutes to load System Restore.
>>
>> Once loaded all functions behave allright.
>> Max. size is limited to 15GB using cmd > vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage
>> /On=[drive]: /For=[drive]: /Maxsize=[size]
>>
>> Is it normal to load that long?
>> Users get impatient and laod again and get warning messages etc.
>>
>> It used to be snappier.
>> How to shorten this time?
>>
>> BTW Why does it use three discs? Overflow?
>> Curious,
>> Maria
>>
>>
>> vssadmin List ShadowStorage:
>>
>> Microsoft Windows [versie 6.0.6001]
>> Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. Alle rechten voorbehouden.
>>
>> C:\Users\Junior2>vssadmin List ShadowStorage
>> vssadmin 1.1 - Opdrachtregelbeheerprogramma voor Volume Shadow
>> Copy-service
>> (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.
>>
>> Opslagkoppeling voor schaduwkopieën
>> Voor volume: (C\\?\Volume{d7ea5167-94a2-11de-a142-806e6f6e6963}\
>> Opslagvolume voor schaduwkopieën:
>> (C\\?\Volume{d7ea5167-94a2-11de-a142-806e
>> 6f6e6963}\
>> Gebruikte opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 11.255 GB
>> Toegewezen opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 11.723 GB
>> Maximale opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 15 GB
>>
>> Opslagkoppeling voor schaduwkopieën
>> Voor volume: (I\\?\Volume{9fb10e45-94e5-11de-9f0f-806e6f6e6963}\
>> Opslagvolume voor schaduwkopieën:
>> (I\\?\Volume{9fb10e45-94e5-11de-9f0f-806e
>> 6f6e6963}\
>> Gebruikte opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 12.065 GB
>> Toegewezen opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 12.487 GB
>> Maximale opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 15 GB
>>
>> Opslagkoppeling voor schaduwkopieën
>> Voor volume: (J\\?\Volume{687294ae-9ecf-11de-a2c2-806e6f6e6963}\
>> Opslagvolume voor schaduwkopieën:
>> (J\\?\Volume{687294ae-9ecf-11de-a2c2-806e
>> 6f6e6963}\
>> Gebruikte opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 4.594 GB
>> Toegewezen opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 4.871 GB
>> Maximale opslagruimte voor schaduwkopieën: 15 GB
>>
>>
>> C:\Users\
>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009
Camper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Restore 12 mins to load

"MPS" <maria.steyn@nospamorange.nl> wrote in message
news:%23i$XnvDbKHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
>
> one of our Vista Home Premium SP1 4GB, lots of disc, repeatedly takes 12
> minutes to load System Restore.
>
> Once loaded all functions behave allright.
> Max. size is limited to 15GB using cmd > vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage
> /On=[drive]: /For=[drive]: /Maxsize=[size]
>
> Is it normal to load that long?
> Users get impatient and laod again and get warning messages etc.
>
> It used to be snappier.
> How to shorten this time?
>
> BTW Why does it use three discs? Overflow?
> Curious,
> Maria
>


The same thing happens to me sometimes it takes minutes to load, other times
seconds. Why? I do not know, however whenever it takes ages to load it
seems to be when I have not used System Restore for a month or so.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2009
MPS
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Restore 12 mins to load


"Camper" <bruce@nospam.com> schreef in bericht
news:OD42xzIcKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
> "MPS" <maria.steyn@nospamorange.nl> wrote in message
> news:%23i$XnvDbKHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> one of our Vista Home Premium SP1 4GB, lots of disc, repeatedly takes 12
>> minutes to load System Restore.
>>
>> Once loaded all functions behave allright.
>> Max. size is limited to 15GB using cmd > vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage
>> /On=[drive]: /For=[drive]: /Maxsize=[size]
>>
>> Is it normal to load that long?
>> Users get impatient and laod again and get warning messages etc.
>>
>> It used to be snappier.
>> How to shorten this time?
>>
>> BTW Why does it use three discs? Overflow?
>> Curious,
>> Maria
>>

>
> The same thing happens to me sometimes it takes minutes to load, other
> times seconds. Why? I do not know, however whenever it takes ages to load
> it seems to be when I have not used System Restore for a month or so.


Yes, it looks like it behaves better when recently "woken up ".
When clicking C:\Windows\System32\SystemPropertiesProtection.exe it will
open the selection window for the drivesettings.
When opening the Run box and typing rstrui.exe it will open the slect whcih
Restore Point window.
When one is running the other one is not allowed and stopped.
Googling IO found a number of apparent fixes in the Registry for this
behaviour, none sudccessful sofar.
Also a number of articles how to limit max. space on a drive to be occupied
by Restore System.
It might just be that I set the space too small. I will enlarge the space
limit and see if the behaviour changes.

It is in itself not life-threatening but just cumbersome to sit and wait
between 12-18 minutes for the relevant window to open.
What do you think?
Maria





Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
System Restore error (create restore point), event ID: 8193 Sven Pran microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 13 02-14-2009 02:45
System Restore: do restore points persist after a restore? Qu0ll microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 04-12-2008 14:36
System restore hasn't held a restore point since I installed Vista CaptHerp microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 10-25-2007 19:54
system restore (automatic daily restore points) alanbriggs microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 04-16-2007 13:17
system restore not creating system restore everyday =?Utf-8?B?R1Q=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 02-23-2007 01:25




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:31.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120