Copy and replace most recent file

lmvk99

Copy and replace most recent file

Hi,

I want to copy a bunch of docus in my files to a backup space, but I do
not simply want to replace all duplicate files with the ones I am
copying, I want it to work out which of the 2 files has been changed the
most recently and keep that one. I know I can keep a copy of both, but
there are just WAY too many files and I don't want to keep copies.

Does vista have the ability to do this?

--
lmvk99
Bob

Re: Copy and replace most recent file
"xcopy /y" will overwrite an existing file without a prompt.

XCOPY /
Copies files and directory trees.

XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D[:date]] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/V] [/W]
[/C] [/i] [/Q] [/F] [/L] [/G] [/H] [/R] [/T] [/u]
[/K] [/N] [/O] [/X] [/Y] [/-Y] [/Z] [/b]
[/EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...]

source Specifies the file(s) to copy.
destination Specifies the location and/or name of new files.
/A Copies only files with the archive attribute set,
doesn't change the attribute.
/M Copies only files with the archive attribute set,
turns off the archive attribute.
/D:m-d-y Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
If no date is given, copies only those files whose
source time is newer than the destination time.
/EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...
Specifies a list of files containing strings. Each string
should be in a separate line in the files. When any of the
strings match any part of the absolute path of the file to be
copied, that file will be excluded from being copied. For
example, specifying a string like \obj\ or .obj will exclude
all files underneath the directory obj or all files with the
.obj extension respectively.
/P Prompts you before creating each destination file.
/S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
/E Copies directories and subdirectories, including empty ones.
Same as /S /E. May be used to modify /T.
/V Verifies the size of each new file.
/W Prompts you to press a key before copying.
/C Continues copying even if errors occur.
/I If destination does not exist and copying more than one file,
assumes that destination must be a directory.
/Q Does not display file names while copying.
/F Displays full source and destination file names while
copying.
/L Displays files that would be copied.
/G Allows the copying of encrypted files to destination that
does
not support encryption.
/H Copies hidden and system files also.
/R Overwrites read-only files.
/T Creates directory structure, but does not copy files. Does
not
include empty directories or subdirectories. /T /E includes
empty directories and subdirectories.
/U Copies only files that already exist in destination.
/K Copies attributes. Normal Xcopy will reset read-only
attributes.
/N Copies using the generated short names.
/O Copies file ownership and ACL information.
/X Copies file audit settings (implies /O).
/Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
existing destination file.
/-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
existing destination file.
/Z Copies networked files in restartable mode.
/B Copies the Symbolic Link itself versus the target of the link

The switch /Y may be preset in the COPYCMD environment variable.
This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line.

"lmvk99" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I want to copy a bunch of docus in my files to a backup space, but I do
> not simply want to replace all duplicate files with the ones I am
> copying, I want it to work out which of the 2 files has been changed the
> most recently and keep that one. I know I can keep a copy of both, but
> there are just WAY too many files and I don't want to keep copies.
>
> Does vista have the ability to do this?
>

> --
> lmvk99

LVTravel

Re: Copy and replace most recent file

"lmvk99" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I want to copy a bunch of docus in my files to a backup space, but I do
> not simply want to replace all duplicate files with the ones I am
> copying, I want it to work out which of the 2 files has been changed the
> most recently and keep that one. I know I can keep a copy of both, but
> there are just WAY too many files and I don't want to keep copies.
>
> Does vista have the ability to do this?
>

> --
> lmvk99

I use a file synchronizing program (free for some uses) called Allway Sync
http://allwaysync.com Once set up it will copy the latest files from one
source folder to another and always keep the latest file no matter where the
latest file was created. I keep my laptop computers (3 that I use for
different purposes but all have the same data on them) and my desktop
computers (2 in different locations in the house) synced with my NAS servers
for my data and backup. If it isn't sure which file is the latest (because
of minor differences in the time stamp) it will not sync until you tell the
program which you want to keep.

I have used the Pro version (2 licenses) on my two most active computers
(there is a nag statement if you transfer more than about 40,000 files in a
month without the pro version) and the free version on the remainder of the
computers for about the last 5 months and have never had any problem with
the program at all. This was one of my best purchases ever for a great
little utility program. I have no financial or other connection to the
company other than a user.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Copy and replace most recent file
Windows Vista includes the ROBOCOPY (Robust File Copy) utility that can do
this very easily. Open a command prompt and type ROBOCOPY /? for help.