How to prevent a folder from being accidentally deleted?

anh

How to prevent a folder from being accidentally deleted?

I have some important files in a folder on my notebook machine and I
want to prevent some dork (like me) from accidentally deleting it both
on my hard drive and on my backup USB external hard drive. What's the
best way to do this?

I'm not looking to encrypt the folder or to hide it. I want to still
add things to the folder and browse it easily; it's just that I don't
want it to be deleted by accident. It's a large folder - about 6GB.

I only need this option for this one folder. I'm using Vista Home
Premium and I'm the only user.

Thanks for any advice or tips.

--
anh

-Jesus loves me but I just want to be friends, so it's kind of awkward.-
Richard Urban

Re: How to prevent a folder from being accidentally deleted?
No offence here but you can not make a system fool/idiot proof. There is no
way to do what you want and have the folder totally accessible for use. Even
if you make the folder as read only you can still delete it if you bypass
the warnings.

You can buy a program such as Executive Software's "Undelete" which gives
you a second chance to get back what you delete - but even then, if you
clean out the undelete folder you are screwed. If a person really wants to
screw up - he will!

Just be more careful and **BACKUP** your important stuff.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"anh" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have some important files in a folder on my notebook machine and I
> want to prevent some dork (like me) from accidentally deleting it both
> on my hard drive and on my backup USB external hard drive. What's the
> best way to do this?
>
> I'm not looking to encrypt the folder or to hide it. I want to still
> add things to the folder and browse it easily; it's just that I don't
> want it to be deleted by accident. It's a large folder - about 6GB.
>
> I only need this option for this one folder. I'm using Vista Home
> Premium and I'm the only user.
>
> Thanks for any advice or tips.
>

> --
> anh
>
> -Jesus loves me but I just want to be friends, so it's kind of awkward.-

Bob

Re: How to prevent a folder from being accidentally deleted?

http://www.folder-password-expert.com/index.html

http://www.sharewareconnection.com/easyfp.htm

http://wareseeker.com/Business-Finan...ld-1.1.zip/714

"anh" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have some important files in a folder on my notebook machine and I
> want to prevent some dork (like me) from accidentally deleting it both
> on my hard drive and on my backup USB external hard drive. What's the
> best way to do this?
>
> I'm not looking to encrypt the folder or to hide it. I want to still
> add things to the folder and browse it easily; it's just that I don't
> want it to be deleted by accident. It's a large folder - about 6GB.
>
> I only need this option for this one folder. I'm using Vista Home
> Premium and I'm the only user.
>
> Thanks for any advice or tips.
>

> --
> anh
>
> -Jesus loves me but I just want to be friends, so it's kind of awkward.-

whs

Re: How to prevent a folder from being accidentally deleted?

If you ever accidently delete a folder from the bin that you wanted to
keep, you can easily recover it with Shadow Explorer (
'ShadowExplorer.com - About' (http://www.shadowexplorer.com/) ) provided
you have restore points (shadows).

--
whs
st

Re: How to prevent a folder from being accidentally deleted?
"anh" <guest@unknown-email.com> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:

> I have some important files in a folder on my notebook machine and I
> want to prevent some dork (like me) from accidentally deleting it both
> on my hard drive and on my backup USB external hard drive. What's the
> best way to do this?
>
> I'm not looking to encrypt the folder or to hide it. I want to still
> add things to the folder and browse it easily; it's just that I don't
> want it to be deleted by accident. It's a large folder - about 6GB.
>
> I only need this option for this one folder. I'm using Vista Home
> Premium and I'm the only user.

It's two-part operation:
1) Set the 'Deny Delete' and 'Deny Deleting files/folders' permission entry
for your X folder's parent folder with scope 'Only for objects in this
container'.
2) Set the 'Deny Delete' and 'Deny Deleting files/folders' permission entry
for your X folder. Don't forget to set a 'Replace children object
permissions' checkbox.

anh

Re: How to prevent a folder from being accidentally deleted?

> It's two-part operation:
> 1) Set the 'Deny Delete' and 'Deny Deleting files/folders' permission
> entry
> for your X folder's parent folder with scope 'Only for objects in this
> container'.
> 2) Set the 'Deny Delete' and 'Deny Deleting files/folders' permission
> entry
> for your X folder. Don't forget to set a 'Replace children object
> permissions' checkbox.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try the Fileshield program and
see if that is useful.

As for changing the permissions settings on the folder, I'm not sure
how to do that. For example, what is the parent/child folder distinction
mean and where do I change these permissions? There seem to be several
users (ie system, me,) and I'm not sure which ones I have to modify.