find big files

shakey

find big files
I am a XP person trying to help a old lady with a Vista problem.
Something has used up 245Gb of her 250GB HD. This is after using all built
in disk maintenance programs such as Disk Cleanup. She originally had zero
bites free but I deleted some unused programs and recovered some space
"5GB". Some programs I cannot delete, I believe this is due to the OS not
having room to shuffle files.
Is there a simple way for me to find all files on the HD by file size?
Other ideas? Computer is miles away so I cannot do a lot of (try and
report).
Thanks
SG

Badger

Re: find big files
Have you tried going to Disk Cleanup and removing all but the Last Restore
Point?
Also you can download CCleaner which is free that will do a fantastic job of
removing old or temporary files.

"shakey" <NOONE@NOWHERE.NET> wrote in message
> I am a XP person trying to help a old lady with a Vista problem.
> Something has used up 245Gb of her 250GB HD. This is after using all built
> in disk maintenance programs such as Disk Cleanup. She originally had
> zero bites free but I deleted some unused programs and recovered some
> space "5GB". Some programs I cannot delete, I believe this is due to the
> OS not having room to shuffle files.
> Is there a simple way for me to find all files on the HD by file size?
> Other ideas? Computer is miles away so I cannot do a lot of (try and
> report).
> Thanks
> SG

Richard G. Harper

Re: find big files
To find big files, use the options in Windows Search to specify the file
size. That will only find single files that take up lots of space. Use a
utility such as TreeSize to examine the entire hard drive and find folders
that are taking up a lot of room.

"shakey" <NOONE@NOWHERE.NET> wrote in message
> I am a XP person trying to help a old lady with a Vista problem.
> Something has used up 245Gb of her 250GB HD. This is after using all built
> in disk maintenance programs such as Disk Cleanup. She originally had
> zero bites free but I deleted some unused programs and recovered some
> space "5GB". Some programs I cannot delete, I believe this is due to the
> OS not having room to shuffle files.
> Is there a simple way for me to find all files on the HD by file size?
> Other ideas? Computer is miles away so I cannot do a lot of (try and
> report).
> Thanks
> SG

shakey

Re: find big files

shakey

Re: find big files
Good idea. Will try file size search size option next trip over. Can not go
online due to low disk space so cannot run tree size.
SG
"Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> To find big files, use the options in Windows Search to specify the file
> size. That will only find single files that take up lots of space. Use a
> utility such as TreeSize to examine the entire hard drive and find folders
> that are taking up a lot of room.
>
> "shakey" <NOONE@NOWHERE.NET> wrote in message
>> I am a XP person trying to help a old lady with a Vista problem.
>> Something has used up 245Gb of her 250GB HD. This is after using all
>> built in disk maintenance programs such as Disk Cleanup. She originally
>> had zero bites free but I deleted some unused programs and recovered some
>> space "5GB". Some programs I cannot delete, I believe this is due to the
>> OS not having room to shuffle files.
>> Is there a simple way for me to find all files on the HD by file size?
>> Other ideas? Computer is miles away so I cannot do a lot of (try and
>> report).
>> Thanks
>> SG

Richard G. Harper

Re: find big files
Download it onto a USB flash drive from another computer - it's an
executable, doesn't need installation.

> Good idea. Will try file size search size option next trip over. Can not
> go online due to low disk space so cannot run tree size.
> SG
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> To find big files, use the options in Windows Search to specify the file
>> size. That will only find single files that take up lots of space. Use
>> a utility such as TreeSize to examine the entire hard drive and find
>> folders that are taking up a lot of room.
>>
>> "shakey" <NOONE@NOWHERE.NET> wrote in message
>>> I am a XP person trying to help a old lady with a Vista problem.
>>> Something has used up 245Gb of her 250GB HD. This is after using all
>>> built in disk maintenance programs such as Disk Cleanup. She originally
>>> had zero bites free but I deleted some unused programs and recovered
>>> some space "5GB". Some programs I cannot delete, I believe this is due
>>> to the OS not having room to shuffle files.
>>> Is there a simple way for me to find all files on the HD by file size?
>>> Other ideas? Computer is miles away so I cannot do a lot of (try and
>>> report).
>>> Thanks