Using "Select multiple files or folders"

John

Using "Select multiple files or folders"
I want to select a long string of files (for deletion).

Vista Help says:

--To select a consecutive group of file or folders, click the first item,
hold down the SHIFT key, and then click the last item.
--To select a consecutive group of files or folders without using the
keyboard, drag the mouse pointer to create a selection around the outside of
all the items you want to include.

Using #1, it selects the "first item" and the "last item," but none of the
items between the two.
Using #2, it tries to MOVE files, not select them.

My last OS did it this way, but Vista does not. Do I have something set so
it behaves the way it does? How do I easily select multiple files?

John

Malke

Re: Using "Select multiple files or folders"
John wrote:

> I want to select a long string of files (for deletion).
>
> Vista Help says:
>
> --To select a consecutive group of file or folders, click the first item,
> hold down the SHIFT key, and then click the last item.
> --To select a consecutive group of files or folders without using the
> keyboard, drag the mouse pointer to create a selection around the outside
> of all the items you want to include.
>
> Using #1, it selects the "first item" and the "last item," but none of the
> items between the two.
> Using #2, it tries to MOVE files, not select them.
>
> My last OS did it this way, but Vista does not. Do I have something set
> so
> it behaves the way it does? How do I easily select multiple files?

File selection in Vista works the same way it has in all the other MS
operating systems.

To select multiple contiguous files, highlight the first file in the series and
then hold down the Shift key and highlight the last file in the series. All
your desired files will be highlighted.

To delete non-contiguous files, hold down the Ctrl key as you select.

If this isn't working for you, I'd try a different keyboard.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Brink

Re: Using "Select multiple files or folders"

Hello John,

You have the "SHIFT" key part right for selecting all files inbetween
the first and last one selected.

To select random multiple files your would do so by pressing and
holding down the "CTRL" (control) key while select the files instead.

If the two options above are not working this way for you, then check
to see if this may be able to fix it for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...files-fix.html

You can also use the option in the tutorial below to select files using
a check box.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...eck-boxes.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)
'*Windows Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
John

Re: Using "Select multiple files or folders"
What would a different keyboard do? I'm not having any other problems with
the keyboard. I've used this for years and it did the Select Multiple Files
on the previous OS with this keyboard and it worked perfectly.

John

> John wrote:
>
>> I want to select a long string of files (for deletion).
>>
>> Vista Help says:
>>
>> --To select a consecutive group of file or folders, click the first item,
>> hold down the SHIFT key, and then click the last item.
>> --To select a consecutive group of files or folders without using the
>> keyboard, drag the mouse pointer to create a selection around the outside
>> of all the items you want to include.
>>
>> Using #1, it selects the "first item" and the "last item," but none of
>> the
>> items between the two.
>> Using #2, it tries to MOVE files, not select them.
>>
>> My last OS did it this way, but Vista does not. Do I have something set
>> so
>> it behaves the way it does? How do I easily select multiple files?

> File selection in Vista works the same way it has in all the other MS
> operating systems.
>
> To select multiple contiguous files, highlight the first file in the
> series and
> then hold down the Shift key and highlight the last file in the series.
> All
> your desired files will be highlighted.
>
> To delete non-contiguous files, hold down the Ctrl key as you select.
>
> If this isn't working for you, I'd try a different keyboard.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

John

"Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello John,
>
> You have the "SHIFT" key part right for selecting all files inbetween
> the first and last one selected.

This is exactly what I am doing. It is also exactly what I copied from
Vista Help.

> To select random multiple files your would do so by pressing and
> holding down the "CTRL" (control) key while select the files instead.

Random, using CTRL works great. Does just as it says.

> If the two options above are not working this way for you, then check
> to see if this may be able to fix it for you.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...files-fix.html

There was no change after using this. I check the first, hold SHIFT, press
the last, then DELETE and it only deletes those two files.

This may help: The instruction you quoted above about the SHIFT key works
exactly the same way using the CTRL. Therefore, I think the answer is that
the SHIFT operation is really doing the CTRL operation; that is, "random"
selection. To repeat: they both function the same way, as "random"
selects, instead of the intended "multiple" selects.

> You can also use the option in the tutorial below to select files using
> a check box.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...eck-boxes.html

I already have the "check box" option checked.

> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> John;1158750 Wrote:
>> I want to select a long string of files (for deletion).
>>
>> Vista Help says:
>>
>> --To select a consecutive group of file or folders, click the first
>> item,
>> hold down the SHIFT key, and then click the last item.
>> --To select a consecutive group of files or folders without using the
>> keyboard, drag the mouse pointer to create a selection around the
>> outside of
>> all the items you want to include.
>>
>> Using #1, it selects the "first item" and the "last item," but none of
>> the
>> items between the two.
>> Using #2, it tries to MOVE files, not select them.
>>
>> My last OS did it this way, but Vista does not. Do I have something set
>> so
>> it behaves the way it does? How do I easily select multiple files?
>>
>> John

> --
> Brink
>
> '*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
> (https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)
> '*Windows Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
>
> *Please post feedback to help others.*

See inline answers.

John

Brink

Re: Using "Select multiple files or folders"

John,

As a test, reset your folder view settings using the download from
METHOD TWO in the tutorial below to see if it will work after merging
the .reg file and restarting the computer.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)
'*Windows Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
John

Re: Using "Select multiple files or folders"
See inline comment:

> John,
>
> As a test, reset your folder view settings using the download from
> METHOD TWO in the tutorial below to see if it will work after merging
> the .reg file and restarting the computer.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html

File Reset_Folder_View.reg does not offer MERGE as a right-click option as
indicated in the tutorial, only Open, Cut, Copy, Delete, and Properties, so
I can't do it. "Open" offers virtually all the programs I have on the
computer.

John

> John;1158894 Wrote:
>> "Brink" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:1383cd34cf026793a7452651caf410cc@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >

>> This is exactly what I am doing. It is also exactly what I copied
>> from
>> Vista Help.

>> Random, using CTRL works great. Does just as it says.
>>

>> There was no change after using this. I check the first, hold SHIFT,
>> press
>> the last, then DELETE and it only deletes those two files.
>>
>> This may help: The instruction you quoted above about the SHIFT key
>> works
>> exactly the same way using the CTRL. Therefore, I think the answer is
>> that
>> the SHIFT operation is really doing the CTRL operation; that is,
>> "random"
>> selection. To repeat: they both function the same way, as "random"
>> selects, instead of the intended "multiple" selects.
>>

>> I already have the "check box" option checked.

>> > (https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
>> > (http://www.sevenforums.com/))

>> See inline answers.
>>
>> John

> --
> Brink
>
> '*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
> (https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)
> '*Windows Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

Brink

Re: Using "Select multiple files or folders"

Did you extract the .reg file from the ZIP file first?

John wrote:

> What would a different keyboard do? I'm not having any other problems
> with
> the keyboard. I've used this for years and it did the Select Multiple
> Files on the previous OS with this keyboard and it worked perfectly.

Because keyboards don't last forever and your Shift key may be stuck or not
working. It's an easy enough test to do and at least will rule out hardware
issues. Since tons of other people, including me, have no problems selecting
files in Windows 7 it the issue you are experiencing is something unique to
your particular setup. Therefore, do the normal troubleshooting process of
elimination which in this case is to first switch out the keyboard.
Otherwise, Brink has the software end well in hand.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Malke

Re: Using "Select multiple files or folders"
Malke wrote:

Addendum to my last post. I meant to say "Vista" and not "Windows 7".
Doesn't change what I wrote, but I don't want any confusion.

Malke