$Recycle.Bin Folder On External HD

JamesJ

$Recycle.Bin Folder On External HD
I have a folder on my external hard drive called $Recycle.bin with several
subfolders
under that that they're called Recycle Bin. There is also is the same folder
on my c: drive.
What is the folder on my external hd for? Any special significance?

James

Richard Urban

Re: $Recycle.Bin Folder On External HD
"JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I have a folder on my external hard drive called $Recycle.bin with several
>subfolders
> under that that they're called Recycle Bin. There is also is the same
> folder on my c: drive.
> What is the folder on my external hd for? Any special significance?
>
> James

The significance is that it is there to give you a chance to undelete a file
when you make a mistake - the same reason it is on your internal drives.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Re: $Recycle.Bin Folder On External HD
Each drive hasit's own recycle bin. Moving a file on a drive means only the
name is moved (as a delete to recycle bin does). If you move across drives
the whole file needs to be copied.

--
..
--
"JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I have a folder on my external hard drive called $Recycle.bin with several
>subfolders
> under that that they're called Recycle Bin. There is also is the same
> folder on my c: drive.
> What is the folder on my external hd for? Any special significance?
>
> James

JamesJ

Re: $Recycle.Bin Folder On External HD
I realize what the recycle bin is. Maybe I should have phrased my question
differently.
Why the subfolders? - 'Recycle Bin'. They all seem to have the same contents
reguardless
of the drive.

James

> "JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>I have a folder on my external hard drive called $Recycle.bin with several
>>subfolders
>> under that that they're called Recycle Bin. There is also is the same
>> folder on my c: drive.
>> What is the folder on my external hd for? Any special significance?
>>
>> James
>>

> The significance is that it is there to give you a chance to undelete a
> file when you make a mistake - the same reason it is on your internal
> drives.
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience & Security

JamesJ

Re: $Recycle.Bin Folder On External HD
What ever these subfolders are for I deleted them. Except for 1 which Vista
didn't allow me to detlete.

James
<.> wrote in message news:e3CPkytRKHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Each drive hasit's own recycle bin. Moving a file on a drive means only
> the name is moved (as a delete to recycle bin does). If you move across
> drives the whole file needs to be copied.
>
> --
> .
> --
> "JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>I have a folder on my external hard drive called $Recycle.bin with several
>>subfolders
>> under that that they're called Recycle Bin. There is also is the same
>> folder on my c: drive.
>> What is the folder on my external hd for? Any special significance?
>>
>> James

Re: $Recycle.Bin Folder On External HD
1 subfolder per user

--
..
--
> What ever these subfolders are for I deleted them. Except for 1 which
> Vista
> didn't allow me to detlete.
>
> James
> <.> wrote in message news:e3CPkytRKHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Each drive hasit's own recycle bin. Moving a file on a drive means only
>> the name is moved (as a delete to recycle bin does). If you move across
>> drives the whole file needs to be copied.
>>
>> --
>> .
>> --
>> "JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a folder on my external hard drive called $Recycle.bin with
>>>several subfolders
>>> under that that they're called Recycle Bin. There is also is the same
>>> folder on my c: drive.
>>> What is the folder on my external hd for? Any special significance?
>>>
>>> James

JamesJ

Re: $Recycle.Bin Folder On External HD
Ah. Got it.