Unable to replace file with newer version

Samkent is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unable to replace file with newer version
I have an Access database I have to replace in a folder under program files.

I can delete the file. I can copy the new version to the folder. But when I open the file it's the old version.

I have tried copy and paste. I have tried delete and then a reboot but the old version comes back after I copy and paste (or drag) the new version into the correct folder. I have tried delete then empty recycle bin and it still comes back when I put the new version in the correct folder.

Any Ideas???

I can run the new version from the desktop
Badger

Unable to replace file with newer version
Try the following:

Right click CMD.EXE (command prompt)
Select Run As Administrator,
Type CD\ and hit Enter to drop you into the root directory,
Change to Program files and delete the old file,
Click the X in the top right corner to go back to Windows,
Then copy the new version.

"Samkent" <Samkent.3z9x0c@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I have an Access database I have to replace in a folder under program
> files.
>
> I can delete the file. I can copy the new version to the folder. But
> when I open the file it's the old version.
>
> I have tried copy and paste. I have tried delete and then a reboot but
> the old version comes back after I copy and paste (or drag) the new
> version into the correct folder. I have tried delete then empty recycle
> bin and it still comes back when I put the new version in the correct
> folder.
>
> Any Ideas???
>
> I can run the new version from the desktop
>

> --
> Samkent

Samkent is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Unable to replace file with newer version
I just tried it. Same result. The file disappears from the directory as you would expect. But once I copy the new file into the directory and then run it, the login page shows it’s the old version.

I just tried something else with strange results.
I’m in the right folder with the new file copied there.
If I run it the login page shows it’s the old file.
If I change the file name by one letter then run it all is fine with the new login page.
If I change the file name back to the right name it becomes the old file.
I can change the name back and forth and the login page changes old/new/old/new.

I’m not working with a short cut or anything. I am working with a simple Access MDE file. I’ve been working with computers since the days of DOS version 1 so I’m not a dufus when it comes to computers.

This one has me baffled.
Badger

Re: Unable to replace file with newer version
Can you delete the folder itself or do you have other files in it?

"Samkent" <Samkent.3zaggd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I just tried it. Same result. The file disappears from the directory as
> you would expect. But once I copy the new file into the directory and
> then run it, the login page shows it's the old version.
>
> I just tried something else with strange results.
> I'm in the right folder with the new file copied there.
> If I run it the login page shows it's the old file.
> If I change the file name by one letter then run it all is fine with
> the new login page.
> If I change the file name back to the right name it becomes the old
> file.
> I can change the name back and forth and the login page changes
> old/new/old/new.
>
> I'm not working with a short cut or anything. I am working with a
> simple Access MDE file. I've been working with computers since the days
> of DOS version 1 so I'm not a dufus when it comes to computers.
>
> This one has me baffled.
>

> --
> Samkent

Samkent is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Unable to replace file with newer version
I could do that as there are only 5 files total. But I would have to recreate it to make things work smooth for the boss.
It’s weird all I have to do is change the name by 1 letter and it becomes the new file. Change it back to the name it needs to be and it’s the old file.
Bob

Re: Unable to replace file with newer version
Use the Shredder that is included with the freeware "filemenu tools".

http://www.lopesoft.com/en/fmtools/info.html

> "Samkent" <Samkent.3z9x0c@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have an Access database I have to replace in a folder under program
>> files.
>>
>> I can delete the file. I can copy the new version to the folder. But
>> when I open the file it's the old version.
>>
>> I have tried copy and paste. I have tried delete and then a reboot but
>> the old version comes back after I copy and paste (or drag) the new
>> version into the correct folder. I have tried delete then empty recycle
>> bin and it still comes back when I put the new version in the correct
>> folder.
>>
>> Any Ideas???
>>
>> I can run the new version from the desktop
>>

>> --
>> Samkent

R. C. White

Re: Unable to replace file with newer version
Hi, Samkent.

Have you tried the good old Dir command with the /x switch?

Dir /x should insert an addition column in the listing, showing the SFN
(Short File Name, also known as the 8.3 filename) for each file and folder
whose LFN is not also a "legal" SFN. Do it for the directory/directories
that hold each of the problem files.

This often discloses some strange and unexpected characters in filenames!

Let us know what you see.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Samkent" <Samkent.3zaggd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I just tried it. Same result. The file disappears from the directory as
> you would expect. But once I copy the new file into the directory and
> then run it, the login page shows it’s the old version.
>
> I just tried something else with strange results.
> I’m in the right folder with the new file copied there.
> If I run it the login page shows it’s the old file.
> If I change the file name by one letter then run it all is fine with
> the new login page.
> If I change the file name back to the right name it becomes the old
> file.
> I can change the name back and forth and the login page changes
> old/new/old/new.
>
> I’m not working with a short cut or anything. I am working with a
> simple Access MDE file. I’ve been working with computers since the days
> of DOS version 1 so I’m not a dufus when it comes to computers.
>
> This one has me baffled.
>

> --
> Samkent

Samkent is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Unable to replace file with newer version
I got it.

Compatibility Files

Do a search for it. The old version was stored in a totally different folder under the users name. Not the normal Program files directory but a virtual Program files directory.

If you ‘explore’ your way to a dir, look next to the ‘burn’ option on the bar.
You will see’ Compatability files’.
Click it and it will whisk you away to the other dir under the users name.

That will sure mess with your mind after a long days work.
R. C. White

Re: Unable to replace file with newer version
Hi, Samkent.

> Compatibility Files

I'm glad you found it - because I have no idea what you're talking about.
:-(

Maybe it's because I'm running Win7. Or maybe it's because I haven't
actually used Access in years, although I do have a couple of very old
databases that I can read and update with the Tech Preview version of Office
2010. But my Windows Explorer window shows nothing next to the "burn"
option but "Share with" (on the left) and "New folder" (on the right).

And a search in Help and Support for "Compatibility Files" gets me a dozen
links, none apparently related to you question.

Can you tell us, click by click, how you get to that Explorer window that
shows the "Compatibility files" button?

Or maybe it's time to just close this thread, since your problem is solved.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Samkent" <Samkent.3zbt42@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I got it.
>
> Compatibility Files
>
> Do a search for it. The old version was stored in a totally different
> folder under the users name. Not the normal Program files directory but
> a virtual Program files directory.
>
> If you ‘explore’ your way to a dir, look next to the ‘burn’ option on
> the bar.
> You will see’ Compatability files’.
> Click it and it will whisk you away to the other dir under the users
> name.
>
> That will sure mess with your mind after a long days work.
>

> --
> Samkent

Samkent is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Unable to replace file with newer version
Not all folders have ‘compatibility files’.

Navigate yourself to

Users\sam\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files\

Remember the name to one of the folders there. Then navigate the “normal” way.
C:\program files\xxxxxx

When you get there an extra button ‘compatibility files’ should pop up next to “burn”.

If you click it you will be whisked to
Users\sam\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files\xxxxx
and the button will disappear.

For some reason Access was using the compatibility version not what ‘looked’ like was in the folder.

Remember this when you can’t find that file you know you copied. It might just be under ‘users’.