Files Get Renamed

JamesJ

Files Get Renamed
Hi.
This is a bit unusual but not critical.
I've worked with my access 2007 database files for some time and somehow
the files case got changed.
In other words, a file named MyDatabase.accdb was changed to
mydatabase.accdb in explorer.
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the files.
After renaming them back the shortcuts to them work ok.
These seem to be the only files that this happened to.
Is there anything in Vista Basic that would do this?
Does anyone know of some 3rd party software that might do this?
Wondering if I should be concerned about a virus.
Did a scan with avg and found no infections.

Thanks,
James
Bob

Re: Files Get Renamed

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages.
Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
Consider this: Whenever a new error condition appears on your computer, it
is almost certain that there was some change to the computer soon before the
problem began.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince
you that you owe it to the author. See also:
what else is
being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure of.

"JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> This is a bit unusual but not critical.
> I've worked with my access 2007 database files for some time and somehow
> the files case got changed.
> In other words, a file named MyDatabase.accdb was changed to
> mydatabase.accdb in explorer.
> There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the files.
> After renaming them back the shortcuts to them work ok.
> These seem to be the only files that this happened to.
> Is there anything in Vista Basic that would do this?
> Does anyone know of some 3rd party software that might do this?
> Wondering if I should be concerned about a virus.
> Did a scan with avg and found no infections.
>
> Thanks,
> James

JamesJ

Re: Files Get Renamed
Recently I have installed a few dvd maker-type software and I always
do a custom install if I'm able to. I have since uninstalled these. and even
went back to a prior restore point.

I'll do another scan and see if it comes up with anything.

James

"Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of
> these Web pages.
> Help with malware:
> All MS-MVP Sites.
> Consider this: Whenever a new error condition appears on your computer, it
> is almost certain that there was some change to the computer soon before
> the problem began.
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
>
> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
> whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to
> convince you that you owe it to the author. See also:
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and
> see what else is
> being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure of.
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>> This is a bit unusual but not critical.
>> I've worked with my access 2007 database files for some time and somehow
>> the files case got changed.
>> In other words, a file named MyDatabase.accdb was changed to
>> mydatabase.accdb in explorer.
>> There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the files.
>> After renaming them back the shortcuts to them work ok.
>> These seem to be the only files that this happened to.
>> Is there anything in Vista Basic that would do this?
>> Does anyone know of some 3rd party software that might do this?
>> Wondering if I should be concerned about a virus.
>> Did a scan with avg and found no infections.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

Bob

Re: Files Get Renamed
Keep us posted.

> Recently I have installed a few dvd maker-type software and I always
> do a custom install if I'm able to. I have since uninstalled these. and
> even
> went back to a prior restore point.
>
> I'll do another scan and see if it comes up with anything.
>
> James
>
> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of
>> these Web pages.
>> Help with malware:
>> All MS-MVP Sites.
>> Consider this: Whenever a new error condition appears on your computer,
>> it is almost certain that there was some change to the computer soon
>> before the problem began.
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
>>
>> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
>> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
>> whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to
>> convince you that you owe it to the author. See also:
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
>> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and
>> see what else is
>> being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure of.
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi.
>>> This is a bit unusual but not critical.
>>> I've worked with my access 2007 database files for some time and somehow
>>> the files case got changed.
>>> In other words, a file named MyDatabase.accdb was changed to
>>> mydatabase.accdb in explorer.
>>> There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the files.
>>> After renaming them back the shortcuts to them work ok.
>>> These seem to be the only files that this happened to.
>>> Is there anything in Vista Basic that would do this?
>>> Does anyone know of some 3rd party software that might do this?
>>> Wondering if I should be concerned about a virus.
>>> Did a scan with avg and found no infections.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> James

R. C. White

Re: Files Get Renamed

"JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> This is a bit unusual but not critical.
> I've worked with my access 2007 database files for some time and somehow
> the files case got changed.
> In other words, a file named MyDatabase.accdb was changed to
> mydatabase.accdb in explorer.
> There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the files.
> After renaming them back the shortcuts to them work ok.
> These seem to be the only files that this happened to.
> Is there anything in Vista Basic that would do this?
> Does anyone know of some 3rd party software that might do this?
> Wondering if I should be concerned about a virus.
> Did a scan with avg and found no infections.
>
> Thanks,
> James

R. C. White

Re: Files Get Renamed
Hi, James.

(Sorry 'bout that empty post - didn't mean to hit Send yet.)

Open a Command Prompt window and use the Dir command with the /x switch to
see the 8.3 filenames.

Dir /x shows:

09/28/2009 02:41 PM <DIR> MYDATA~1.ACC MyDatabase.accdb
09/28/2009 02:41 PM <DIR> MYDATA~1.ACC mydatabase.accdb

Those names are identical, so far as Windows is concerned. Different
programs may display them differently, but they are the same to Windows
"under the skin". In fact, the Command Prompt window would not let me
create both names in the same folder because there was already an
identically-named folder. When Windows converts the LFN (Long File Name) to
the "legal" 8.3 SFN (Short File Name), it gets the same SFN with either LFN.
With or without capital letters, it gets MYDATA~1.ACC either way.

This has nothing to do with Access or Basic or any other application. It's
just the way that Windows (and DOS, starting about MS-DOS 6.2) works behind
the scenes, ever since Long File Names have been allowed - and even before
then: ABC.TXT is the same as abc.txt - or AbC.tXt. Yes, Capitalization can
make a BIG difference in many contexts, but not here.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> This is a bit unusual but not critical.
> I've worked with my access 2007 database files for some time and somehow
> the files case got changed.
> In other words, a file named MyDatabase.accdb was changed to
> mydatabase.accdb in explorer.
> There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the files.
> After renaming them back the shortcuts to them work ok.
> These seem to be the only files that this happened to.
> Is there anything in Vista Basic that would do this?
> Does anyone know of some 3rd party software that might do this?
> Wondering if I should be concerned about a virus.
> Did a scan with avg and found no infections.
>
> Thanks,
> James

JamesJ

Re: Files Get Renamed
Another scan by avg found no infections.
One thing I did notice.
These files are in my data folder where I keep pics, favorites, and other
data.
I back them once about every other or every 3 days to an external hard
drive.
In looking at these 3 files on the external - MyDatabase.accdb,
MyDatabase.accde and MyDbData on
2 backups in a folder I backed up on the 21st and one on the 25th.

I found the files backed up on the 21st are ok but the backup on the 25th 1
file had been
changed to lower case: mydatabase.accdb.
The other 2 are ok.
Not sure if it was like that prior to the copy or not.

I did format my hard drive and reinstalled Vista on the 21st and the 25th.
(Long story why I did it twice within
5 days).
I copied the data folder back to my primary hard drive after the reinstall.
Not sure if the copy process did this. I'm simply dragging and dropping.

>>> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
>>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
>>>
>>> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
>>> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
>>> whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to
>>> convince you that you owe it to the author. See also:
>>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
>>> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and
>>> see what else is
>>> being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure of.

JamesJ

Re: Files Get Renamed
Was just wondering why it was displayed MyDatabase.accdb for the longest
time then all of a sudden it was being displayed mydatabase.accdb in
expolorer.

James

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, James.
>
> (Sorry 'bout that empty post - didn't mean to hit Send yet.)
>
> Open a Command Prompt window and use the Dir command with the /x switch to
> see the 8.3 filenames.
>
> Dir /x shows:
>
> 09/28/2009 02:41 PM <DIR> MYDATA~1.ACC MyDatabase.accdb
> 09/28/2009 02:41 PM <DIR> MYDATA~1.ACC mydatabase.accdb
>
> Those names are identical, so far as Windows is concerned. Different
> programs may display them differently, but they are the same to Windows
> "under the skin". In fact, the Command Prompt window would not let me
> create both names in the same folder because there was already an
> identically-named folder. When Windows converts the LFN (Long File Name)
> to the "legal" 8.3 SFN (Short File Name), it gets the same SFN with either
> LFN. With or without capital letters, it gets MYDATA~1.ACC either way.
>
> This has nothing to do with Access or Basic or any other application.
> It's just the way that Windows (and DOS, starting about MS-DOS 6.2) works
> behind the scenes, ever since Long File Names have been allowed - and even
> before then: ABC.TXT is the same as abc.txt - or AbC.tXt. Yes,
> Capitalization can make a BIG difference in many contexts, but not here.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>> This is a bit unusual but not critical.
>> I've worked with my access 2007 database files for some time and somehow
>> the files case got changed.
>> In other words, a file named MyDatabase.accdb was changed to
>> mydatabase.accdb in explorer.
>> There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the files.
>> After renaming them back the shortcuts to them work ok.
>> These seem to be the only files that this happened to.
>> Is there anything in Vista Basic that would do this?
>> Does anyone know of some 3rd party software that might do this?
>> Wondering if I should be concerned about a virus.
>> Did a scan with avg and found no infections.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

Bob

Re: Files Get Renamed
AVG is not enough!
There isn't any single security program that will detect all infections.

> Another scan by avg found no infections.
> One thing I did notice.
> These files are in my data folder where I keep pics, favorites, and other
> data.
> I back them once about every other or every 3 days to an external hard
> drive.
> In looking at these 3 files on the external - MyDatabase.accdb,
> MyDatabase.accde and MyDbData on
> 2 backups in a folder I backed up on the 21st and one on the 25th.
>
> I found the files backed up on the 21st are ok but the backup on the 25th
> 1 file had been
> changed to lower case: mydatabase.accdb.
> The other 2 are ok.
> Not sure if it was like that prior to the copy or not.
>
> I did format my hard drive and reinstalled Vista on the 21st and the 25th.
> (Long story why I did it twice within
> 5 days).
> I copied the data folder back to my primary hard drive after the
> reinstall.
> Not sure if the copy process did this. I'm simply dragging and dropping.
>
> James
>
> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Keep us posted.
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>> Recently I have installed a few dvd maker-type software and I always
>>> do a custom install if I'm able to. I have since uninstalled these. and
>>> even
>>> went back to a prior restore point.
>>>
>>> I'll do another scan and see if it comes up with anything.
>>>
>>> James

JamesJ

Re: Files Get Renamed
I didn't think so.