Word docs moving around on desktop

teleute is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Word docs moving around on desktop
I have a couple of Word docs on my desktop (which is exactly where I want to keep them, so let me derail any suggestions of storing them elsewhere...*g*). I have them along the right side, where I want them, but every time I have them open to edit, and save the document, the icon moves itself over to the first empty spot on the left side of the desktop. I just want them to stay where I put them. Does anyone know how I can keep these in place? (Note: auto arrange is not on)

Thank you.
Badger

Re: Word docs moving around on desktop
Right click on the desktop, select view, uncheck Auto Arrange, check Align
to Grid.

"teleute" <teleute.3yidcc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I have a couple of Word docs on my desktop (which is exactly where I
> want to keep them, so let me derail any suggestions of storing them
> elsewhere...*g*). I have them along the right side, where I want them,
> but every time I have them open to edit, and save the document, the icon
> moves itself over to the first empty spot on the left side of the
> desktop. I just want them to stay where I put them. Does anyone know
> how I can keep these in place? (Note: auto arrange is not on)
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> teleute

John Galt

"Badger" <jerrymcm@msn.com> wrote:

>Right click on the desktop, select view, uncheck Auto Arrange, check Align
>to Grid.

What part of "Note: auto arrange is not on" are you having trouble
understanding?

>"teleute" <teleute.3yidcc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a couple of Word docs on my desktop (which is exactly where I
>> want to keep them, so let me derail any suggestions of storing them
>> elsewhere...*g*). I have them along the right side, where I want them,
>> but every time I have them open to edit, and save the document, the icon
>> moves itself over to the first empty spot on the left side of the
>> desktop. I just want them to stay where I put them. Does anyone know
>> how I can keep these in place? (Note: auto arrange is not on)
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>> --
>> teleute

Badger

Re: Word docs moving around on desktop
None actually, I just worded it wrong, making sure auto arrange was not
checked.
Do you have a fix for his problem?
It may just be a problem with Word.

"John Galt" <galtj@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> "Badger" <jerrymcm@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>Right click on the desktop, select view, uncheck Auto Arrange, check Align
>>to Grid.

> What part of "Note: auto arrange is not on" are you having trouble
> understanding?
>

>>"teleute" <teleute.3yidcc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have a couple of Word docs on my desktop (which is exactly where I
>>> want to keep them, so let me derail any suggestions of storing them
>>> elsewhere...*g*). I have them along the right side, where I want them,
>>> but every time I have them open to edit, and save the document, the icon
>>> moves itself over to the first empty spot on the left side of the
>>> desktop. I just want them to stay where I put them. Does anyone know
>>> how I can keep these in place? (Note: auto arrange is not on)
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>

>>> --
>>> teleute

teleute is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Word docs moving around on desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
None actually, I just worded it wrong, making sure auto arrange was not checked.
Do you have a fix for his problem?
It may just be a problem with Word.
I did ensure auto arrange is not checked, yes. Also, this is only a problem with Word documents, and only when I edit/save them.
Badger

Re: Word docs moving around on desktop
Thanks for your reply, Teleute,
Working on it.

"teleute" <teleute.3yiogc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Badger;1559202 Wrote:
>> None actually, I just worded it wrong, making sure auto arrange was not
>> checked.
>> Do you have a fix for his problem?
>> It may just be a problem with Word.
>>

> I did ensure auto arrange is not checked, yes. Also, this is only a
> problem with Word documents, and only when I edit/save them.
>

> --
> teleute

Badger

Re: Word docs moving around on desktop
Can't find a fix, teleute,

Sorry, Badger

"teleute" <teleute.3yiogc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Badger;1559202 Wrote:
>> None actually, I just worded it wrong, making sure auto arrange was not
>> checked.
>> Do you have a fix for his problem?
>> It may just be a problem with Word.
>>

> I did ensure auto arrange is not checked, yes. Also, this is only a
> problem with Word documents, and only when I edit/save them.
>

> --
> teleute

DL

Re: Word docs moving around on desktop
There are any number of free desktop icon 'save / restore' positions apps
PS You may want/like data stored on your desktop, but this can be a receipe
for loss of data

"teleute" <teleute.3yiogc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Badger;1559202 Wrote:
>> None actually, I just worded it wrong, making sure auto arrange was not
>> checked.
>> Do you have a fix for his problem?
>> It may just be a problem with Word.
>>

> I did ensure auto arrange is not checked, yes. Also, this is only a
> problem with Word documents, and only when I edit/save them.
>

> --
> teleute

teleute is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Word docs moving around on desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL View Post
There are any number of free desktop icon 'save / restore' positions apps
PS You may want/like data stored on your desktop, but this can be a receipe
for loss of data
If I have to run a program every time it moves it, though, that's no better than having to just move the icon back. Thanks, though.

As for data loss, I'm not concerned in this particular case. These are documents where the originals are saved elsewhere, and I just pull them up to cross things off them as checklists when I do stuff. So they're opened and changed quite frequently, but data loss isn't the slightest bit of concern. Plus my desktop is backed up nightly, if I did care (which I don't). But thanks.
Aaron

teleute wrote:
> I have a couple of Word docs on my desktop (which is exactly where I
> want to keep them, so let me derail any suggestions of storing them
> elsewhere...*g*). I have them along the right side, where I want them,
> but every time I have them open to edit, and save the document, the icon
> moves itself over to the first empty spot on the left side of the
> desktop. I just want them to stay where I put them. Does anyone know
> how I can keep these in place? (Note: auto arrange is not on)
>
> Thank you.

This probably won't help, but when you are editing a Word file, Word
creates a 'working copy' named ~$cument.doc (for something named
document.doc) with an icon on the desktop at the first available
position. For some reason your Word/OS do not seem to properly kill the
temporary icon, but kills the original. I was not able to replicate your
problem with Vista Home Premium (32-bit) and Word 2007.

Aaron