Cant delete, rename, ect. tried admin rights, moveonboot, ect., and the file is empty

dedicateddoug

Cant delete, rename, ect. tried admin rights, moveonboot, ect., and the file is empty

I have i dvd file that is empty from attempting to rip my dvd to convert
onto my psp. The process failed, but i still have the empty file folder
on my harddrive. I cannot do anything with it, delete, copy, rename,
ect. I have tried taking ownership, moveonboot removal tool, and
everthing an itermediate coputer guy would do. I have google and read
numerous articles related to this, nothing works.

What is it I need to learn.

Thanks again to anyone that takes the time to share with me.

--
dedicateddoug
Bob

Re: Cant delete, rename, ect. tried admin rights, moveonboot, ect., and the file is empty
File Shredder

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/fileshredder2.html

"dedicateddoug" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have i dvd file that is empty from attempting to rip my dvd to convert
> onto my psp. The process failed, but i still have the empty file folder
> on my harddrive. I cannot do anything with it, delete, copy, rename,
> ect. I have tried taking ownership, moveonboot removal tool, and
> everthing an itermediate coputer guy would do. I have google and read
> numerous articles related to this, nothing works.
>
> What is it I need to learn.
>
> Thanks again to anyone that takes the time to share with me.
>

> --
> dedicateddoug

Len Cable

Re: Cant delete, rename, ect. tried admin rights, moveonboot, ect., and the file is empty

I have essentially the same problem and when trying to load the icon (0
bytes) to File Shredder, it reports the file is no longer located on
desktop. However, the phantom file icon is still there. Desktop refresh
does not work and I've tried the same approaches as dedicateddoug. Any
more ideas?
Thanks in advance

--
Len Cable
lemur

Re: Cant delete, rename, ect. tried admin rights, moveonboot, ect., and the file is empty

Reboot the computer into safe mode and delete.

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::
lemur

Re: Cant delete, rename, ect. tried admin rights, moveonboot, ect., and the file is empty

Option 2 is just so crazy, it just might work!

right-click on the icon and choose "Add to
whatever_the_icons_name_was.zip". When it tries to add to a ZIP file,
the ZIP processor will pretty much say 'why are you here? I can't find
anything to ZIP'. As soon as you click the OK from that dialog box,
the desktop icon will disappear!

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::
Len Cable

Re: Cant delete, rename, ect. tried admin rights, moveonboot, ect., and the file is empty

Thanks for the prompt reply, I gave both suggestions a try and neither
would work. It's really weird, the icon is there, blank page with title,
yet when I try to move it to the recycle bin, it says it is no longer
located at C:\Users\Len\desktop. Verify the item's location and try
again. Find will not find the file but it shows on the desktop; however,
browsing desktop I can see the "file" but drag to recycle bin or right
click-delete will yield the same message. Is there another Vista update
that addresses desktop refresh that I could try? I see a bunch of
traffic on desktop problems but I haven't gone down that path yet. I
have auto update running and I'm not sure if all possible updates are
loaded.

Thanks again

--
Len Cable
GTS

Re: Cant delete, rename, ect. tried admin rights, moveonboot, ect., and the file is empty
Try running chkdsk /f from an elevated command prompt and reboot as advised.
This kind of problem often involves an issue with the file system and not
necessarily a locked file.