Trying to copy a folder to external HD

SaminDallas

Trying to copy a folder to external HD

I have Vista Home Premium 64bit, and I am simply trying to copy a folder
from my hard drive to an external drive. When I do this, I get the
message :

Could not find this item

This is no longer located in
C:\Users\SaminDallas\Searches\Documents\File.'ppt'
(http://www.vistax64.com/#)

Does anybody know whats going on and how to fix this.

This is messing up my means to make backups.

Is there something going on with the Searches folder ? I navigated to
the Searches folder and do see the files there - but I have no clue what
this Searches folder is doing.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks,
SaminDallas

--
SaminDallas
alexdagr8est

Re: Trying to copy a folder to external HD

Hi SaminDallas,
What I think you should be doing is finding the file by going to my
computer, finding the file location manually and then copy and paste the
file that you want to the hard drive.
So in this case
go to My computer then from there go to
C:\Users\SaminDallas\Documents\(File you are trying to back up to your
external HDD)

--
alexdagr8est

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary
and those that don't.
SaminDallas

Re: Trying to copy a folder to external HD

Thanks for your response. But am trying to copy a complete folder. I go
to My computer, then copy and paste the folder. It seems to work at
first, saying "copying 1,525 items" but after about 20 seconds I get the
message

Could not find item
This is no longer located in
C:\Users\SaminDallas\Searches\Documents\actionplan .ppt

ie. it stops at one item. If I select SKIP for all items, then the
folder does not copy across.

Not sure why its says the item is not in the Searches folder, when I am
just trying to copy a folder within Documents.

Do I need to select myself as Admin or something ?

I have done this same operation a million times using prior Windows
versions, with no issues. I had my UAC turned back on - I thought that
may be the culprit. But changing UAC from OFF to ON had no effect,

Any help is greatly appreciated !

thanks,
SaminDallas

--
SaminDallas
alexdagr8est

Re: Trying to copy a folder to external HD

go into that file directory and see if you can copy all files excluding
the searches folder ie highlight all the folders then after they are all
highlighted press ctrl + left click "searches" and then drag the folders
to the file destination that you want. (search items are temporary
files)

--
alexdagr8est

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary
and those that don't.
Dave T.

SaminDallas wrote:
> I have Vista Home Premium 64bit, and I am simply trying to copy a folder
> from my hard drive to an external drive. When I do this, I get the
> message :
>
> Could not find this item
>
> This is no longer located in
> C:\Users\SaminDallas\Searches\Documents\File.'ppt'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/#)
>
> Does anybody know whats going on and how to fix this.
>
> This is messing up my means to make backups.
>
> Is there something going on with the Searches folder ? I navigated to
> the Searches folder and do see the files there - but I have no clue what
> this Searches folder is doing.
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> thanks,
> SaminDallas

Please clarify how you are trying to copy the folder. Are you using the
search function to find the folder, and then trying to copy it from
there? Alexdagr8est explained that if you locate your folder in that
method you are not actually seeing the folder in the search "results".
What you are seeing is a shortcut to the folder. By looking at the
properties of that shortcut you should see a "target location" which
will tell you where the actual folder is. Go there and try to copy.

Dave T.

SaminDallas

Re: Trying to copy a folder to external HD

No, that doesnt work either. I just tried to copy a single PDF file to
the external HD, and that is giving same error; stating Could Not file
file. Although the PDF file is selectable, and can be open on my
computer. So it is definately there.

I have Nortel AV running; I turned this off and still same problem.

I see quite a few other people have seen this problem, as they are
trying to delete files. I of course dont want to delete the file, but
want to make a backup.

SaminDallas

--
SaminDallas
Bob

Re: Trying to copy a folder to external HD
Try the FileMenu Tools freeware.

http://www.lopesoft.com/en/fmtools/info.html

"SaminDallas" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> No, that doesnt work either. I just tried to copy a single PDF file to
> the external HD, and that is giving same error; stating Could Not file
> file. Although the PDF file is selectable, and can be open on my
> computer. So it is definately there.
>
> I have Nortel AV running; I turned this off and still same problem.
>
> I see quite a few other people have seen this problem, as they are
> trying to delete files. I of course dont want to delete the file, but
> want to make a backup.
>
> SaminDallas
>

> --
> SaminDallas

Dave T.

SaminDallas wrote:
> No, that doesnt work either. I just tried to copy a single PDF file to
> the external HD, and that is giving same error; stating Could Not file
> file. Although the PDF file is selectable, and can be open on my
> computer. So it is definately there.
>
> I have Nortel AV running; I turned this off and still same problem.
>
> I see quite a few other people have seen this problem, as they are
> trying to delete files. I of course dont want to delete the file, but
> want to make a backup.
>
> SaminDallas

Try this...

1. Go to the destination drive and create an empty folder.
2. Open the source folder so all of the contents are visible.
3. Click organize > select all.
4. Place your mouse pointer over the selected files.
5. Right click, select copy.
6. Go to your destination drive and paste to the folder you created.

Windows gets a headache if you try to copy a large amount to the root of
a drive. It's best to copy to a folder.

Windows will also sometimes get a headache if you try to copy too much
at one time.

Dave T.
Gordon

"Dave T." <Dave@domaine.invalid> wrote in message
> SaminDallas wrote:
>> I have Vista Home Premium 64bit, and I am simply trying to copy a folder
>> from my hard drive to an external drive. When I do this, I get the
>> message :
>>
>> Could not find this item
>>
>> This is no longer located in
>> C:\Users\SaminDallas\Searches\Documents\File.'ppt'
>> (http://www.vistax64.com/#)
>>
>> Does anybody know whats going on and how to fix this.

You are trying to copy from a SEARCH window. You need to open the actual
folder the file is in and copy from there...

Dave T.

Gordon wrote:

> "Dave T." <Dave@domaine.invalid> wrote in message
>> SaminDallas wrote:
>>> I have Vista Home Premium 64bit, and I am simply trying to copy a folder
>>> from my hard drive to an external drive. When I do this, I get the
>>> message :
>>>
>>> Could not find this item
>>>
>>> This is no longer located in
>>> C:\Users\SaminDallas\Searches\Documents\File.'ppt'
>>> (http://www.vistax64.com/#)
>>>
>>> Does anybody know whats going on and how to fix this.

> You are trying to copy from a SEARCH window. You need to open the actual
> folder the file is in and copy from there...

Who are you replying to?

Dave T.