Conflicting messages from chkdsk

Grythandril

Conflicting messages from chkdsk

Hello
This is my first time here.

*My OS is Vista 32 home premium*
* *
*I found an error in the event viewer, which is -Event 55 NTFS-.*
*The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. *
*Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS_Install.*
* *
*So I ran the chkdsk through the command prompt as the administrator
and message I got at the end was:*
*The volume bitmap was incorrect*
*Windows found problems with the file system.*
*Run CHKDSK /F (fix) option to correct these.*
* *
*I tried this through the command prompt and ended up scheduling it
next time I started the computer. It stated that windows has found no
problems with the file system. But the event viewer still says there is
an error.*
* *
*I managed to run the chkdsk from the safe mode and through the
installation disk as well. It states again that windows has found no
problems with the file system.*
* *
*But when back in vista I still get the error message in both the event
viewer and chkdsk from the command prompt. *
* *
*Is there something wrong with my hard drive?*
**
*thanks*
**

--
Grythandril
Johnny Fosse

Re: Conflicting messages from chkdsk
Grythandril <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Hello
>This is my first time here.
>
>*My OS is Vista 32 home premium*
>* *
>*I found an error in the event viewer, which is -Event 55 NTFS-.*
>*The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. *
>*Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS_Install.*
>* *
>*So I ran the chkdsk through the command prompt as the administrator
>and message I got at the end was:*
>*The volume bitmap was incorrect*
>*Windows found problems with the file system.*
>*Run CHKDSK /F (fix) option to correct these.*
>* *
>*I tried this through the command prompt and ended up scheduling it
>next time I started the computer. It stated that windows has found no
>problems with the file system. But the event viewer still says there is
>an error.*
>* *
>*I managed to run the chkdsk from the safe mode and through the
>installation disk as well. It states again that windows has found no
>problems with the file system.*
>* *
>*But when back in vista I still get the error message in both the event
>viewer and chkdsk from the command prompt. *
>* *
>*Is there something wrong with my hard drive?*
>**
>*thanks*
>**

Something is certainly wrong with your keyboard: it's putting
asterisks at the beginning and the end of sentences and it's putting
two of them between paragraphs.
Grythandril

Re: Conflicting messages from chkdsk

Thats ok

I typed it out in word first before copy and paste on to the message
box instead of writing out completely.

can anyone help with my chkdsk problem?

--
Grythandril
Richard Urban

"Grythandril" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello
> This is my first time here.
>
> *My OS is Vista 32 home premium*
> * *
> *I found an error in the event viewer, which is -Event 55 NTFS-.*
> *The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. *
> *Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS_Install.*
> * *
> *So I ran the chkdsk through the command prompt as the administrator
> and message I got at the end was:*
> *The volume bitmap was incorrect*
> *Windows found problems with the file system.*
> *Run CHKDSK /F (fix) option to correct these.*
> * *
> *I tried this through the command prompt and ended up scheduling it
> next time I started the computer. It stated that windows has found no
> problems with the file system. But the event viewer still says there is
> an error.*
> * *
> *I managed to run the chkdsk from the safe mode and through the
> installation disk as well. It states again that windows has found no
> problems with the file system.*
> * *
> *But when back in vista I still get the error message in both the event
> viewer and chkdsk from the command prompt. *
> * *
> *Is there something wrong with my hard drive?*
> **
> *thanks*
> **
>

> --
> Grythandril

Suggest you run chkdsk C: /f /r

You will have to reboot to do so. This will take a long time as the entire
drive will be checked for inconsistencies.

Running chkdsk C: /f only checks the area of the drive where information is
presently residing.

On a large drive you may have a multi hour test. Be patient and allow it to
complete!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Grythandril

Re: Conflicting messages from chkdsk

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did try what you suggested and it did state thet Windows found no
problems with the file system.

But after it booted up into vista, the event viewer still states the
Event 55 "at leat 7 times:

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please
run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS_Install."

And chkdsk under the command prompt in vista is again stating the file
system has errors. See attached example.

Help!

|Filename: Example.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15516|

Grythandril
Grythandril

Re: Conflicting messages from chkdsk

I also forgot to add this picture.

This NTfs error continues for several seconds.

Is there a problem with the hard drive or Vista?

--
Grythandril
Grythandril

Re: Conflicting messages from chkdsk

Here is the example picture

|Filename: Example 02.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15543|

Grythandril
Richard Urban

> Here is the example picture

> |Filename: Example 02.jpg |
> |Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15543|

> Grythandril

I suggest you run the hard drive manufacturers drive test utility. All the
major manufacturers have one in their download section of their web pages.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

Jeff Richards

Re: Conflicting messages from chkdsk
Have you confirmed that you are running ChkDsk on the volume OS_Instal?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

"Grythandril" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Here is the example picture

> |Filename: Example 02.jpg |
> |Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15543|

> Grythandril

Grythandril

Re: Conflicting messages from chkdsk

> I suggest you run the hard drive manufacturers drive test utility. All
> the major manufacturers have one in their download section of their web
> pages. .

I never thought about that. thanks for the suggestion I will try that
next.

> Have you confirmed that you are running ChkDsk on the volume OS_Instal?

How do I do that?

I only know chkdsk or chkdsk C:, is there another way?

--
Grythandril