unable to run Toshiba Full Disc wipe

caseyckc

unable to run Toshiba Full Disc wipe

recently itunes has corrupted and told it to unistall i did so and after
that everything had gone ultra slow and i turned it off turn and on
again same thing. slow. i put it in safemode and still to no avail,
slow. i've started and done transfer of files i want to keep.i then
tried to go to the vista repair and from F8, i clicked "revert to out of
the box", it then went blank and turned off i had repeated 3 times to
make sure it wasn't a one-time thing, i had power plugged in btw. i
figured to run windows 'chkdsk' with both options checked i am running
it now. so far it is on stage 3 and checking file data(out of 136,000
files) it has found 40,000+ corrupted clusters and has replaced them and
is still going...12hrs in and still going.

note: when it got to about 40,000 - 45,000 it started making a sound
like the sound of a failing HD or when it skips it makes that noise
every so often just a note anyway

--
caseyckc
Malke

Re: unable to run Toshiba Full Disc wipe
caseyckc wrote:

> recently itunes has corrupted and told it to unistall i did so and after
> that everything had gone ultra slow and i turned it off turn and on
> again same thing. slow. i put it in safemode and still to no avail,
> slow. i've started and done transfer of files i want to keep.i then
> tried to go to the vista repair and from F8, i clicked "revert to out of
> the box", it then went blank and turned off i had repeated 3 times to
> make sure it wasn't a one-time thing, i had power plugged in btw. i
> figured to run windows 'chkdsk' with both options checked i am running
> it now. so far it is on stage 3 and checking file data(out of 136,000
> files) it has found 40,000+ corrupted clusters and has replaced them and
> is still going...12hrs in and still going.
>
> note: when it got to about 40,000 - 45,000 it started making a sound
> like the sound of a failing HD or when it skips it makes that noise
> every so often just a note anyway

Sounds like your hard drive is failing. No point in doing Chkdsk. Run a
diagnostic utility downloaded from the drive mftr.'s website (or use
Seagate's SeaTools For DOS). You will create a bootable CD with the file you
download. You will need third-party burning software to do this such as
Roxio, Nero, or the free ImgBurn. Burn as an image, not as data.

http://www.imgburn.com

Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it fails
any physical tests, replace it.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

caseyckc

Re: unable to run Toshiba Full Disc wipe

this is on a laptop once i get the new hard drive how am i supposed to
get the pre-loaded vista onto the new HD?

caseyckc wrote:

> this is on a laptop once i get the new hard drive how am i supposed to
> get the pre-loaded vista onto the new HD?

If you didn't get a recovery disc set with the computer, there was a utility
on the hard drive so you could make your own. Since you apparently didn't do
this, call Toshiba tech support and order one. This is usually not
expensive.

Malke

Malke;1123232 Wrote:
> caseyckc wrote:
> > > >

> > > recently itunes has corrupted and told it to unistall i did so and

> > after
> > > that everything had gone ultra slow and i turned it off turn and on
> > > again same thing. slow. i put it in safemode and still to no avail,
> > > slow. i've started and done transfer of files i want to keep.i then
> > > tried to go to the vista repair and from F8, i clicked "revert to out

> > of
> > > the box", it then went blank and turned off i had repeated 3 times to
> > > make sure it wasn't a one-time thing, i had power plugged in btw. i
> > > figured to run windows 'chkdsk' with both options checked i am

> > running
> > > it now. so far it is on stage 3 and checking file data(out of 136,000
> > > files) it has found 40,000+ corrupted clusters and has replaced them

> > and
> > > is still going...12hrs in and still going.
> > >
> > > note: when it got to about 40,000 - 45,000 it started making a sound
> > > like the sound of a failing HD or when it skips it makes that noise
> > > every so often just a note anyway

> diagnostic utility downloaded from the drive mftr.'s website (or use
> Seagate's SeaTools For DOS). You will create a bootable CD with the
> file you
> download. You will need third-party burning software to do this such
> as
> Roxio, Nero, or the free ImgBurn. Burn as an image, not as data.
>
> 'The Official ImgBurn Website' (http://www.imgburn.com)
>
> Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it
> fails
> any physical tests, replace it.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)

it doesnt work but it runs i opened the HD and it has no mftr

caseyckc wrote:

> it doesnt work but it runs i opened the HD and it has no mftr

I have no idea what that sentence is supposed to mean. As for identifying
the hard drive to get a diagnostic:

Repeat:

>> (or use Seagate's SeaTools For DOS).>>

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

f/fgeorge

Re: unable to run Toshiba Full Disc wipe
On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 05:25:40 -0700, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>caseyckc wrote:
>

>> this is on a laptop once i get the new hard drive how am i supposed to
>> get the pre-loaded vista onto the new HD?

>If you didn't get a recovery disc set with the computer, there was a utility
>on the hard drive so you could make your own. Since you apparently didn't do
>this, call Toshiba tech support and order one. This is usually not
>expensive.
>
>Malke

I have a friend that was able to get HP to send him the restore dvd's
for free when his hard drive died.
Brink

Re: unable to run Toshiba Full Disc wipe

Hello Casey,

This link below at Toshiba will show you how to create a set of Vista
Recovery Discs if you are still able to (if not to corrupted) from the
OEM recovery partition. If you are able to, these will reinstall Vista
and your Applicationtion & Drivers on the new drive.

'How to use the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility'
(http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD7C02140000R01.htm)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

caseyckc;1123243 Wrote:
> this is on a laptop once i get the new hard drive how am i supposed to
> get the pre-loaded vista onto the new HD?

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)
'*Windows Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
caseyckc

Malke;1123285 Wrote:
> caseyckc wrote:
>

> > > it doesnt work but it runs i opened the HD and it has no mftr > > I have no idea what that sentence is supposed to mean. As for

> identifying
> the hard drive to get a diagnostic:
>
> Repeat:

> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)

tests will run

--
caseyckc
caseyckc

Brink;1123384 Wrote:
> Hello Casey,
>
> This link below at Toshiba will show you how to create a set of Vista
> Recovery Discs if you are still able to (if not to corrupted) from the
> OEM recovery partition. If you are able to, these will reinstall Vista
> and your Applicationtion & Drivers on the new drive.
>
> 'How to use the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility'
> (http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD7C02140000R01.htm)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
> > caseyckc;1123243 Wrote:
> > this is on a laptop once i get the new hard drive how am i supposed to
> > get the pre-loaded vista onto the new HD?> >

ok i will try it now

--
caseyckc