Copying Folder to External Hard Drive

JamesJ

Copying Folder to External Hard Drive
I frequently backup my Documents folder (which I have relocated to a folder
called DataFiles)
to my external hardrive. My problems stems from the fact that when I drag
and drop the folder
from c: to D:, if DataFiles already exists on E: I'm prompted with alt these
'Do want to merge,
do you want ot replace and other messages by Vista Home Bassic.
So, to eliminate this I deleted the folder on E: and then dragged and
dropped. Whgich went much
better. But, if somethging happens to the copy process I have no backup. I
decide to rename the
folder in E: from DataFiles top DataFiles_8-18-2009 which is the date of the
last copy. Well,
Vista still tels me 'The destinationalready contains a folder named
'DataFiles_8-18-2009'. The folder
I'm copying is 'DataFiles.
Is Vista that stupid or am I that stupid??
If fact no matter what I rename the folder on E: to it still gives me the
same message.

James

DL

Re: Copying Folder to External Hard Drive
Since the Documents folder is a container for data files I'm curious as to
why you would want to move it to another named data folder.

Rather than a manual backup/copy process it might be simpler to use one of
the many backup/copy apps available, or even a batch file.

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I frequently backup my Documents folder (which I have relocated to a folder
>called DataFiles)
> to my external hardrive. My problems stems from the fact that when I drag
> and drop the folder
> from c: to D:, if DataFiles already exists on E: I'm prompted with alt
> these 'Do want to merge,
> do you want ot replace and other messages by Vista Home Bassic.
> So, to eliminate this I deleted the folder on E: and then dragged and
> dropped. Whgich went much
> better. But, if somethging happens to the copy process I have no backup. I
> decide to rename the
> folder in E: from DataFiles top DataFiles_8-18-2009 which is the date of
> the last copy. Well,
> Vista still tels me 'The destinationalready contains a folder named
> 'DataFiles_8-18-2009'. The folder
> I'm copying is 'DataFiles.
> Is Vista that stupid or am I that stupid??
> If fact no matter what I rename the folder on E: to it still gives me the
> same message.
>
> James

JamesJ

Re: Copying Folder to External Hard Drive
I want to be able to access the data without having to depend on a
particular program.
I want raw data that I can simply drag and drop. I also back up other
folders and they
are now kept in the sm,ae place. And I don't mean to be rude but, please
answer
the question instead of questioning my tactics all the timer here!!!

James

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> Since the Documents folder is a container for data files I'm curious as to
> why you would want to move it to another named data folder.
>
> Rather than a manual backup/copy process it might be simpler to use one of
> the many backup/copy apps available, or even a batch file.
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>I frequently backup my Documents folder (which I have relocated to a
>>folder called DataFiles)
>> to my external hardrive. My problems stems from the fact that when I drag
>> and drop the folder
>> from c: to D:, if DataFiles already exists on E: I'm prompted with alt
>> these 'Do want to merge,
>> do you want ot replace and other messages by Vista Home Bassic.
>> So, to eliminate this I deleted the folder on E: and then dragged and
>> dropped. Whgich went much
>> better. But, if somethging happens to the copy process I have no backup.
>> I decide to rename the
>> folder in E: from DataFiles top DataFiles_8-18-2009 which is the date of
>> the last copy. Well,
>> Vista still tels me 'The destinationalready contains a folder named
>> 'DataFiles_8-18-2009'. The folder
>> I'm copying is 'DataFiles.
>> Is Vista that stupid or am I that stupid??
>> If fact no matter what I rename the folder on E: to it still gives me the
>> same message.
>>
>> James

JamesJ

Re: Copying Folder to External Hard Drive
Anyway I found a solution.
Create the folder first then drag and drop.
No more messages
Duh.

>I want to be able to access the data without having to depend on a
>particular program.
> I want raw data that I can simply drag and drop. I also back up other
> folders and they
> are now kept in the sm,ae place. And I don't mean to be rude but, please
> answer
> the question instead of questioning my tactics all the timer here!!!
>
> James
>
> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Since the Documents folder is a container for data files I'm curious as
>> to why you would want to move it to another named data folder.
>>
>> Rather than a manual backup/copy process it might be simpler to use one
>> of the many backup/copy apps available, or even a batch file.
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>>I frequently backup my Documents folder (which I have relocated to a
>>>folder called DataFiles)
>>> to my external hardrive. My problems stems from the fact that when I
>>> drag and drop the folder
>>> from c: to D:, if DataFiles already exists on E: I'm prompted with alt
>>> these 'Do want to merge,
>>> do you want ot replace and other messages by Vista Home Bassic.
>>> So, to eliminate this I deleted the folder on E: and then dragged and
>>> dropped. Whgich went much
>>> better. But, if somethging happens to the copy process I have no backup.
>>> I decide to rename the
>>> folder in E: from DataFiles top DataFiles_8-18-2009 which is the date of
>>> the last copy. Well,
>>> Vista still tels me 'The destinationalready contains a folder named
>>> 'DataFiles_8-18-2009'. The folder
>>> I'm copying is 'DataFiles.
>>> Is Vista that stupid or am I that stupid??
>>> If fact no matter what I rename the folder on E: to it still gives me
>>> the same message.
>>>
>>> James

whs

JamesJ;1118858 Wrote:
> I want to be able to access the data without having to depend on a
> particular program.
> I want raw data that I can simply drag and drop. I also back up other
> folders and they
> are now kept in the sm,ae place. And I don't mean to be rude but,
> please
> answer
> the question instead of questioning my tactics all the timer here!!!
>
> James
>
> "DL" <notvalid@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:eR7D4s$IKHA.4608@xxxxxx> > >
> > > Since the Documents folder is a container for data files I'm curious

> > as to
> > > why you would want to move it to another named data folder.
> > >
> > > Rather than a manual backup/copy process it might be simpler to use

> > one of
> > > the many backup/copy apps available, or even a batch file.
> > >
> > > "JamesJ" <jjy@xxxxxx_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> > > news:%23WrEYG%23IKHA.4316@xxxxxx> > > > >
> > > drag
> > > alt
> > > and
> > > backup.
> > > date of
> > > me the

I think your question was:" Is Vista that stupid or am I that stupid??
". I think I know the answer but I don't want to be rude.

--
whs
DL

Re: Copying Folder to External Hard Drive
You dont need a particular program to access data files
I also trust E is not a partition of a single drive
>>> Is Vista that stupid or am I that stupid??

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I want to be able to access the data without having to depend on a
>particular program.
> I want raw data that I can simply drag and drop. I also back up other
> folders and they
> are now kept in the sm,ae place. And I don't mean to be rude but, please
> answer
> the question instead of questioning my tactics all the timer here!!!
>
> James
>
> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Since the Documents folder is a container for data files I'm curious as
>> to why you would want to move it to another named data folder.
>>
>> Rather than a manual backup/copy process it might be simpler to use one
>> of the many backup/copy apps available, or even a batch file.
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>>I frequently backup my Documents folder (which I have relocated to a
>>>folder called DataFiles)
>>> to my external hardrive. My problems stems from the fact that when I
>>> drag and drop the folder
>>> from c: to D:, if DataFiles already exists on E: I'm prompted with alt
>>> these 'Do want to merge,
>>> do you want ot replace and other messages by Vista Home Bassic.
>>> So, to eliminate this I deleted the folder on E: and then dragged and
>>> dropped. Whgich went much
>>> better. But, if somethging happens to the copy process I have no backup.
>>> I decide to rename the
>>> folder in E: from DataFiles top DataFiles_8-18-2009 which is the date of
>>> the last copy. Well,
>>> Vista still tels me 'The destinationalready contains a folder named
>>> 'DataFiles_8-18-2009'. The folder
>>> I'm copying is 'DataFiles.
>>> Is Vista that stupid or am I that stupid??
>>> If fact no matter what I rename the folder on E: to it still gives me
>>> the same message.
>>>
>>> James

JamesJ

Re: Copying Folder to External Hard Drive
Don't want to insult Microsoft?

"whs" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> JamesJ;1118858 Wrote:
>> I want to be able to access the data without having to depend on a
>> particular program.
>> I want raw data that I can simply drag and drop. I also back up other
>> folders and they
>> are now kept in the sm,ae place. And I don't mean to be rude but,
>> please
>> answer
>> the question instead of questioning my tactics all the timer here!!!
>>
>> James
>>
>> "DL" <notvalid@xxxxxx> wrote in message
>> news:eR7D4s$IKHA.4608@xxxxxx> > >
>> > as to

>> > one of

> I think your question was:" Is Vista that stupid or am I that stupid??
> ". I think I know the answer but I don't want to be rude.
>

> --
> whs

JamesJ

Re: Copying Folder to External Hard Drive
No, E is an external hard drive.
Just wondered why Vista gives me the impression that the folders have the
same
name when they clearly don't.

> You dont need a particular program to access data files
> I also trust E is not a partition of a single drive

> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>I want to be able to access the data without having to depend on a
>>particular program.
>> I want raw data that I can simply drag and drop. I also back up other
>> folders and they
>> are now kept in the sm,ae place. And I don't mean to be rude but, please
>> answer
>> the question instead of questioning my tactics all the timer here!!!
>>
>> James
>>
>> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Since the Documents folder is a container for data files I'm curious as
>>> to why you would want to move it to another named data folder.
>>>
>>> Rather than a manual backup/copy process it might be simpler to use one
>>> of the many backup/copy apps available, or even a batch file.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Copying Folder to External Hard Drive
Have you considered alternative such as Robocopy? Part of Vista, the
Robocopy command-line tool has options including "Mirror" which will
synchronize one folder to another easily and quickly.

> I frequently backup my Documents folder (which I have relocated to a
> folder called DataFiles)
> to my external hardrive. My problems stems from the fact that when I drag
> and drop the folder
> from c: to D:, if DataFiles already exists on E: I'm prompted with alt
> these 'Do want to merge,
> do you want ot replace and other messages by Vista Home Bassic.
> So, to eliminate this I deleted the folder on E: and then dragged and
> dropped. Whgich went much
> better. But, if somethging happens to the copy process I have no backup. I
> decide to rename the
> folder in E: from DataFiles top DataFiles_8-18-2009 which is the date of
> the last copy. Well,
> Vista still tels me 'The destinationalready contains a folder named
> 'DataFiles_8-18-2009'. The folder
> I'm copying is 'DataFiles.
> Is Vista that stupid or am I that stupid??
> If fact no matter what I rename the folder on E: to it still gives me the
> same message.
>
> James

JamesJ

Re: Copying Folder to External Hard Drive
Part of Vista Basic?

James