Recoving 7 Zip Archive - Cannot open file 'xampp.7z' as archive

GodsDead

Recoving 7 Zip Archive - Cannot open file 'xampp.7z' as archive

Cannot open file 'xampp.7z' as archive error.

Hey all, i recently created a backup of all my websites, databases and
many projects, using a backup tool: cobian backup 9.
This created three files for the folder i was backing up (my xampp
directroy)
These were three 7-zip files split into 700mb, 001, 002, and 003.

I copyed these to an external HDD, re-formatted my Main HDD in my
machine, re-insatlled windows and copyed them back over.

I managed to extract these split up files from 001, which should give
me the directory i backed up.. but it didnt it game me another 7-zip
archive, this time an overall of the folder.. so it must have compressed
a compressed file.. THing is i cant read/extract it!

Now i cant open this archive with anything.. and its really important i
get this data back..

I have tryed WinRar, 7-Zip, The 'Tools > Decompresser' in Cobian..

And im really starting to freak out, because i CANNOT lose this data..

What can i do to get my data back?

--
GodsDead
Malke

Re: Recoving 7 Zip Archive - Cannot open file 'xampp.7z' as archive
GodsDead wrote:

> Cannot open file 'xampp.7z' as archive error.
>
> Hey all, i recently created a backup of all my websites, databases and
> many projects, using a backup tool: cobian backup 9.
> This created three files for the folder i was backing up (my xampp
> directroy)
> These were three 7-zip files split into 700mb, 001, 002, and 003.
>
> I copyed these to an external HDD, re-formatted my Main HDD in my
> machine, re-insatlled windows and copyed them back over.
>
> I managed to extract these split up files from 001, which should give
> me the directory i backed up.. but it didnt it game me another 7-zip
> archive, this time an overall of the folder.. so it must have compressed
> a compressed file.. THing is i cant read/extract it!
>
> Now i cant open this archive with anything.. and its really important i
> get this data back..
>
> I have tryed WinRar, 7-Zip, The 'Tools > Decompresser' in Cobian..
>
> And im really starting to freak out, because i CANNOT lose this data..
>
> What can i do to get my data back?

I really feel for you. Now you know the reason for *testing* a backup first.
You can try to contact the guy who wrote Cobian backup, although I don't
think he's supporting it any more. The alternative - if no one else here has
a suggestion for you - is to contact a professional data recovery company. I
use Drive Savers (www.drivesavers.com). This will not be cheap.

Next time try a different backup program. I like Acronis True Image because
it images your system and does incremental backups.

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Pauli Taglia

GodsDead <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>And im really starting to freak out, because i CANNOT lose this data..

You could pray a lot... OH, just noticed your moniker.

Never miiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnd.
GodsDead

Re: Recoving 7 Zip Archive - Cannot open file 'xampp.7z' as archive

Oh no, so no-one has used a 7z recovery programme that works?
Most of the things i search, just seem to be a bunch of
rubbish/spyware...

well im not going to lose hope yet, keep trying i suppose..

--
GodsDead
NetLink_Blue

"GodsDead" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Oh no, so no-one has used a 7z recovery programme that works?
> Most of the things i search, just seem to be a bunch of
> rubbish/spyware...
>
> well im not going to lose hope yet, keep trying i suppose..

I used to fool around with these two file-splitting programs:
HJSplit / MegaSplit

These programs split / join files. As a last resort, you might make copies
of your 001, 002 etc. files and try to "join" them into one large 7z
archvie. Then try to extract contents. Good luck.

NetBlue

Erasmus

GodsDead;4572516 Wrote:
> Cannot open file 'xampp.7z' as archive error.
>
> Hey all, i recently created a backup of all my websites, databases and
> many projects, using a backup tool: cobian backup 9.
> This created three files for the folder i was backing up (my xampp
> directroy)
> These were three 7-zip files split into 700mb, 001, 002, and 003.
>
> I copyed these to an external HDD, re-formatted my Main HDD in my
> machine, re-insatlled windows and copyed them back over.
>
> I managed to extract these split up files from 001, which should give
> me the directory i backed up.. but it didnt it game me another 7-zip
> archive, this time an overall of the folder.. so it must have
> compressed
> a compressed file.. THing is i cant read/extract it!
>
> Now i cant open this archive with anything.. and its really important
> get this data back..
>
> I have tryed WinRar, 7-Zip, The 'Tools > Decompresser' in Cobian..
>
> And im really starting to freak out, because i CANNOT lose this data..
>
> What can i do to get my data back?
>

> --
> GodsDead

I know some zip archives when you split them like that (assuming you
created one archive, and automatically split it into parts, rather than
just creating 3 archives) only store the header information in the first
archive.

So you can't just extract them separately, you need to tell the
extractor it's split into 3 parts and it should process it is as one
archive. You tried this?

--
Erasmus
Erasmus's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/147523.htm