Files Transfered From W98 To Vista

brbrown

Files Transfered From W98 To Vista
I have just transfered all my Works created wps Documents files from my W98
computer to my Vista computer using Works but they will not open. I get a
message saying "Works was unable to open the project you have selected. The
file may be corrupted. Anyone any idea why Please?"
Malke

Re: Files Transfered From W98 To Vista
brbrown wrote:

> I have just transfered all my Works created wps Documents files from my
> W98 computer to my Vista computer using Works but they will not open. I
> get a message saying "Works was unable to open the project you have
> selected. The file may be corrupted. Anyone any idea why Please?"

If you don't get an answer here (and I'm sorry but I don't know it - will
give you a few WAG suggestions below), you might want to post in the Works
newsgroup. The Works experts there may immediately know the answer.

microsoft.public.works.win

My WAGs:

1. Make sure you copied the files to a folder in your User account and not to
the root of C:\ or some such place that Vista considers protected.

2. Right-click on the files you saved and make sure they aren't read-only.

3. I'd think you would have gotten a "no access" error instead, but check to
make sure the ownership is correct (you). If it isn't, take ownership of the
files as follows:

a. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
b. Click the Security tab.
c. Under Group or user names, click your name to see the permissions you
have.

To open a file, you need to have read permission. For more information on
permissions, see What are permissions?

http://tinyurl.com/2j9vgr

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

brbrown

Re: Files Transfered From W98 To Vista
hello Malke

Thanks for that. I'll try again with the information you have given. I'll
let you know how I get on.

Brian

GTS

Re: Files Transfered From W98 To Vista
Do you have the same (or newer) versions of Works on the Vista machine?
--

"brbrown" <brbrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just transfered all my Works created wps Documents files from my W98
> computer to my Vista computer using Works but they will not open. I get a
> message saying "Works was unable to open the project you have selected.
> The
> file may be corrupted. Anyone any idea why Please?"

brbrown

Re: Files Transfered From W98 To Vista
Hi GTS. Yes I have Works 9 on the Vista but works 4.5 on W98. Might that be
the problem?

GTS

Re: Files Transfered From W98 To Vista
Yes. That is the problem. You can download a converter from MS to fix it.
See the two articles below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940003/en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-48305325110b
--

> Hi GTS. Yes I have Works 9 on the Vista but works 4.5 on W98. Might that
> be
> the problem?

brbrown

Re: Files Transfered From W98 To Vista
Hello GTS. That looks exactly what I need. I'll give that a try. Many thanks.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks also Malke for the suggestions.

brbrown

Re: Files Transfered From W98 To Vista

Afraid that didn't work either. I got the same error message. I was puzzled
though, I presumed that it would work automatically when I tried to open the
file. Then I thought I might need to open the converter first but I couldn't
find it in the programmes list nor doing a search for it so I tried
installing it again and still couldn't find it. I installed it on the Vista
computer. Any ideas? Brian

brbrown wrote:

> Afraid that didn't work either. I got the same error message. I was
> puzzled though, I presumed that it would work automatically when I tried
> to open the file. Then I thought I might need to open the converter first
> but I couldn't find it in the programmes list nor doing a search for it so
> I tried installing it again and still couldn't find it. I installed it on
> the Vista computer. Any ideas? Brian

No, the converter just becomes part of the program. I have two more
suggestions for you:

1. If the old computer with the files still exists, open the files in Works
and save as RTF files.

2.Or post in the Works newsgroup and ask the experts there. There may be a
reason that non-Works experts don't know.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

DL

Re: Files Transfered From W98 To Vista
microsoft.public.works.win
would be the place to post to for expert advice