Locked Out Of Folders

John Reid

Locked Out Of Folders
I went in to check my music in my Vista Music folder but I found a new MY
MUSIC Folder. There was a new icon
beside it, a musical note, but it would not let me in to view the files. It
returned a message
saying that "it was not accessible: Access Denied." I then noticed that two
other folders had new icons beside them, MY PICTURES and MY VIDEOS. Further
down was another folder MY DOCUMENTS. I was also locked out of this folder.
It took me a little time to realize that these were XP names of folders.

I have been playing with Windows Media Centre, the Movie Maker and Windows
Media Player, and I could access all of my pictures and music there. I
thought that these new files were created by these programmes for their own
purposes. However, I still have my Vista files of Pictures, Videos and Music
and I am able to access them in the usual way. However, I have no clue as to
where the new MY DOCUMENTS folder came from.

I have recently turned on the hidden folders so I can now see, for example,
the APPLICATION and APPS Data Folders and perhaps these XP type of folder
are stored there. I have not tried to delete them but I can access them
through right clicking, and get a full menu of possibilities including that
old reliable, Properties. It may be that by turning off the hidden files
that the new ones might disappear but that would not answer the question of
what are these XP file types doing here? I did turn off the hidden folders
switch so
I no longer can see the hidden folders and the XP type folders have
disappeared.

I would appreciate an explanation and advice as to what I should do about
these rogue folders.

I am running an Acer laptop (Aspire 7720) with 2 mg RAM and Intel Core duo,
Vista Home Premium SP 1.

John Reid

Jane C

Re: Locked Out Of Folders
John Reid wrote:
> I went in to check my music in my Vista Music folder but I found a new
> MY MUSIC Folder. There was a new icon
> beside it, a musical note, but it would not let me in to view the files.
> It returned a message
> saying that "it was not accessible: Access Denied." I then noticed that two
> other folders had new icons beside them, MY PICTURES and MY VIDEOS. Further
> down was another folder MY DOCUMENTS. I was also locked out of this folder.
> It took me a little time to realize that these were XP names of folders.
>
> I have been playing with Windows Media Centre, the Movie Maker and Windows
> Media Player, and I could access all of my pictures and music there. I
> thought that these new files were created by these programmes for their own
> purposes. However, I still have my Vista files of Pictures, Videos and
> Music
> and I am able to access them in the usual way. However, I have no clue
> as to
> where the new MY DOCUMENTS folder came from.
>
> I have recently turned on the hidden folders so I can now see, for example,
> the APPLICATION and APPS Data Folders and perhaps these XP type of folder
> are stored there. I have not tried to delete them but I can access them
> through right clicking, and get a full menu of possibilities including that
> old reliable, Properties. It may be that by turning off the hidden files
> that the new ones might disappear but that would not answer the question of
> what are these XP file types doing here? I did turn off the hidden
> folders switch so
> I no longer can see the hidden folders and the XP type folders have
> disappeared.
>
> I would appreciate an explanation and advice as to what I should do about
> these rogue folders.
>
> I am running an Acer laptop (Aspire 7720) with 2 mg RAM and Intel Core duo,
> Vista Home Premium SP 1.
>
> John Reid

You don't need to do anything, these are not "rogue folders", they are
called junction points. Have a read of this article for an explanation:

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/content.aspx?id=43

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009
John Reid

Re: Locked Out Of Folders
Thanks for the explanation.

I shall now rest easy!