Disk Defragmenter Command Line Switch?

JamesJ

Disk Defragmenter Command Line Switch?
I'm trying to get Disk Defragmenter to analyze only 1 disk at a time
but can't seem do do it. I'm using the following but when it starts
analyzing
in reports Analyzing disk 1 of 2:
%SystemRoot%\system32\dfrgui.exe c:

I have an external hard drive but I don't want both drives to be analyzed.
Even when I got to Computer and right click c: and select Properties|Tools
Tab
and 'Defrag now' it analyzes both drives.
Any way I can get Defrag to address only 1 drive?

I'm using Vista Basic sp2.

James

Badger

Re: Disk Defragmenter Command Line Switch?
My defragmenter has a choice to select volumes or all drives.
I'm using Vista Home Premium.

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to get Disk Defragmenter to analyze only 1 disk at a time
> but can't seem do do it. I'm using the following but when it starts
> analyzing
> in reports Analyzing disk 1 of 2:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\dfrgui.exe c:
>
> I have an external hard drive but I don't want both drives to be analyzed.
> Even when I got to Computer and right click c: and select Properties|Tools
> Tab
> and 'Defrag now' it analyzes both drives.
> Any way I can get Defrag to address only 1 drive?
>
> I'm using Vista Basic sp2.
>
> James

JamesJ

Re: Disk Defragmenter Command Line Switch?
From the moment I open defragmenter it begins analyzing my drives.
I get no opertunity to select a drive.

James

"Badger" <jerrymcm@msn.com> wrote in message
> My defragmenter has a choice to select volumes or all drives.
> I'm using Vista Home Premium.
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to get Disk Defragmenter to analyze only 1 disk at a time
>> but can't seem do do it. I'm using the following but when it starts
>> analyzing
>> in reports Analyzing disk 1 of 2:
>> %SystemRoot%\system32\dfrgui.exe c:
>>
>> I have an external hard drive but I don't want both drives to be
>> analyzed.
>> Even when I got to Computer and right click c: and select
>> Properties|Tools Tab
>> and 'Defrag now' it analyzes both drives.
>> Any way I can get Defrag to address only 1 drive?
>>
>> I'm using Vista Basic sp2.
>>
>> James

Badger

Re: Disk Defragmenter Command Line Switch?
My best guess is to shut down, disconnect the external drive and reboot.
Then do a defrag.

> From the moment I open defragmenter it begins analyzing my drives.
> I get no opertunity to select a drive.
>
> James
>
> "Badger" <jerrymcm@msn.com> wrote in message
>> My defragmenter has a choice to select volumes or all drives.
>> I'm using Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to get Disk Defragmenter to analyze only 1 disk at a time
>>> but can't seem do do it. I'm using the following but when it starts
>>> analyzing
>>> in reports Analyzing disk 1 of 2:
>>> %SystemRoot%\system32\dfrgui.exe c:
>>>
>>> I have an external hard drive but I don't want both drives to be
>>> analyzed.
>>> Even when I got to Computer and right click c: and select
>>> Properties|Tools Tab
>>> and 'Defrag now' it analyzes both drives.
>>> Any way I can get Defrag to address only 1 drive?
>>>
>>> I'm using Vista Basic sp2.
>>>
>>> James

JamesJ

Re: Disk Defragmenter Command Line Switch?
I found out that it analyzes both drives upon opening, but when I select
Defrag now...
it then gives me the opportunity to select the drive(s).
I was a bit concerned that it would defrag both drives without any input
from me.
Must be by design.

Thanks much,

> My best guess is to shut down, disconnect the external drive and reboot.
> Then do a defrag.
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> From the moment I open defragmenter it begins analyzing my drives.
>> I get no opertunity to select a drive.
>>
>> James
>>
>> "Badger" <jerrymcm@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> My defragmenter has a choice to select volumes or all drives.
>>> I'm using Vista Home Premium.

Badger

Re: Disk Defragmenter Command Line Switch?
Glad it works now,
Badger

> I found out that it analyzes both drives upon opening, but when I select
> Defrag now...
> it then gives me the opportunity to select the drive(s).
> I was a bit concerned that it would defrag both drives without any input
> from me.
> Must be by design.
>
> Thanks much,
> James
>
> "Badger" <jerrymcm@msn.com> wrote in message
>> My best guess is to shut down, disconnect the external drive and reboot.
>> Then do a defrag.
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>> From the moment I open defragmenter it begins analyzing my drives.
>>> I get no opertunity to select a drive.
>>>
>>> James

pacinitaly

Re: Disk Defragmenter Command Line Switch?

CMD prompt

type:

defrag_c:_-w_-v

_ = spacebar

this will defrag the c drive and give a full report B4 and after

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt