Cant open xp files on external hard drive on vista

nobby999

Cant open xp files on external hard drive on vista

Hi

i had a windows xpSP2 PC which i had backed up on to an external hard
drive.

That PC appeared to die and so i bought a new desktop with Vista on.
With regards to photos i am able to open up some files, however the most
recent that were added im unable to open. It says you do not have
permission.
i have followed several guides that i have found on line to open these
but they dont work.

Why is it i can open some files on this external hard drive and nt
others? Typically the ones i cant open have very important sentiment to
me

--
nobby999
nobby999's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/111734.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Hank Arnold

Re: Cant open xp files on external hard drive on vista
nobby999 wrote:
> Hi
>
> i had a windows xpSP2 PC which i had backed up on to an external hard
> drive.
>
> That PC appeared to die and so i bought a new desktop with Vista on.
> With regards to photos i am able to open up some files, however the most
> recent that were added im unable to open. It says you do not have
> permission.
> i have followed several guides that i have found on line to open these
> but they dont work.
>
> Why is it i can open some files on this external hard drive and nt
> others? Typically the ones i cant open have very important sentiment to
> me

Try this (these are the steps on W7, but I think they are the same for
Vista):

- Right click on the root directory
- Go to settings and select the Security tab.
- Select the Advanced button
- Change owner to your user name
- Exit and go back to change the access permissions

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
nobby999

Re: Cant open xp files on external hard drive on vista

thank you for that.

It appears im either not managing to change the permissions correctly
or there is still a problem.

When i try and open a photo it says "photo gallery cant open this
picture because you do not have permission to access this file location"

--
nobby999
nobby999's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/111734.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-fil...nt/1208536.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

nobby999

Re: Cant open xp files on external hard drive on vista

After many weeks of trying to get my XP machine to work (and after
buying a new vista machine) it finally came back to life.

I accessed the files i was having problems with on the external hard
drive. It turned out that the files had been encrypted.

By checking out the original files properties, i believe going into
advanced, i deselected the encryption and copied over again.

MAGIC
I can now access those files that i thought i had lost

--
nobby999
nobby999's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/111734.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-fil...nt/1208536.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

How to Restore Vista Backup Files with an External Hard Drive omamoh microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 9 10-01-2009 09:13
Unable to restore Back up files from External Hard Drive using VISTA ravisama568 Introduce Yourself 0 06-16-2009 05:53
Old hard drive permission to open files on Vista Woodzys microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 06-27-2008 01:16
Help - I can't open up the Data files stored on my external hard d ilona7 microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 06-14-2008 15:10
How Can I Access Files On External Hard Drive ? Jupiter Rising microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 03-26-2008 05:55