Re: Cant open xp files on external hard drive on vista
> i had a windows xpSP2 PC which i had backed up on to an external hard
> That PC appeared to die and so i bought a new desktop with Vista on.
> With regards to photos i am able to open up some files, however the most
> recent that were added im unable to open. It says you do not have
> i have followed several guides that i have found on line to open these
> but they dont work.
> Why is it i can open some files on this external hard drive and nt
> others? Typically the ones i cant open have very important sentiment to
Try this (these are the steps on W7, but I think they are the same for
- Right click on the root directory
- Go to settings and select the Security tab.
- Select the Advanced button
- Change owner to your user name
- Exit and go back to change the access permissions
Windows Server - Directory Services