Backup Sofware Suggestions

JamesJ

Backup Sofware Suggestions
I just purchased a Western Digital external hd and was looking for
suggestions
on good image and backup software.
I would think image software creates a boot disk for recovery.
I want to be able to control when I make the backups and I don't want the
program to
start up automatically at boot up, or at least allow me to decide.
Price up to $40.00

Thanks,
James

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Backup Sofware Suggestions
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:23:55 -0400, "JamesJ"
<jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote:

> I just purchased a Western Digital external hd and was looking for
> suggestions
> on good image and backup software.
> I would think image software creates a boot disk for recovery.
> I want to be able to control when I make the backups and I don't want the
> program to
> start up automatically at boot up, or at least allow me to decide.
> Price up to $40.00

I recommend Acronis True Image

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Manny Weisbord

Acronis True Image... buy it at newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rue+image+2009
Karim Af Afnel

Re: Backup Sofware Suggestions

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote:
> on good image and backup software.

My suggest are the onboard tools (Backup and Complete backup) of Vista.
Sure, the Arconis tool offers more functions, but who needs all that stuff.

The complete backup (image) creates a full image, the next backups are
incremental on block level.

> boot disk for recovery.

The Vista disk is the bootdisk.

> I want to be able to control when I make the backups

Windows gives you everything :-)

Try it.

JamesJ

Re: Backup Sofware Suggestions
Can I recover from the 'image' that vista creates?

James

"Karim Af Afnel" <afafnel@gmx.net> wrote in message

> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote:
>> on good image and backup software.

> My suggest are the onboard tools (Backup and Complete backup) of Vista.
> Sure, the Arconis tool offers more functions, but who needs all that
> stuff.
>
> The complete backup (image) creates a full image, the next backups are
> incremental on block level.
>
>> boot disk for recovery.

> The Vista disk is the bootdisk.
>
>> I want to be able to control when I make the backups

> Windows gives you everything :-)
>
> Try it.

Dave

Re: Backup Sofware Suggestions
You mean "restore"?
Yes.
But not versions of Vista contain Complete Backup...

--
Windows 7 RC
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Can I recover from the 'image' that vista creates?
>
> James
>
> "Karim Af Afnel" <afafnel@gmx.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote:
>>> on good image and backup software.

>> My suggest are the onboard tools (Backup and Complete backup) of Vista.
>> Sure, the Arconis tool offers more functions, but who needs all that
>> stuff.
>>
>> The complete backup (image) creates a full image, the next backups are
>> incremental on block level.
>>
>>> boot disk for recovery.

>> The Vista disk is the bootdisk.
>>
>>> I want to be able to control when I make the backups

>> Windows gives you everything :-)
>>
>> Try it.

Dave

Re: Backup Sofware Suggestions
sheesh....

But not ALL versions of Vista contain Complete Backup...

--

"Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
> You mean "restore"?
> Yes.
> But not versions of Vista contain Complete Backup...
>

> --
> Windows 7 RC
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> Can I recover from the 'image' that vista creates?
>>
>> James
>>
>> "Karim Af Afnel" <afafnel@gmx.net> wrote in message

>>> My suggest are the onboard tools (Backup and Complete backup) of Vista.
>>> Sure, the Arconis tool offers more functions, but who needs all that
>>> stuff.
>>>
>>> The complete backup (image) creates a full image, the next backups are
>>> incremental on block level.

>>> The Vista disk is the bootdisk.

>>> Windows gives you everything :-)
>>>
>>> Try it.

JamesJ

Re: Backup Sofware Suggestions
I couldn't find complete backups only backups for personal files.
My goal is to format my hard drive and install Vista Basic. And once
it's installed with all updates I want to create a backup of my entire
drive. I guess they
refer to it as an image. In order to restore this image one needs to have a
boot disc with
the software that was used to create the image?

James

> sheesh....
>
> But not ALL versions of Vista contain Complete Backup...
>

> --
> Windows 7 RC
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> "Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
>> You mean "restore"?
>> Yes.
>> But not versions of Vista contain Complete Backup...
>>

>> --
>> Windows 7 RC
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>> Can I recover from the 'image' that vista creates?
>>>
>>> James

Dave

Re: Backup Sofware Suggestions
Vista Home Basic does NOT include the Complete Backup program that will make
an image of your complete drive. It only includes the file backup program.

If you have Vista Business or Ultimate, then you can use Complete Backup to
make an image backup to another drive, partition or DVDs.
Then you can create a bootable repair CD/DVD (or use the Vista installation
DVD), which will allow you to restore the backup.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...es/backup.aspx

If you don't have Vista Business or Ultimate, then you have to use another
backup program like Acronis True Image.

--

> I couldn't find complete backups only backups for personal files.
> My goal is to format my hard drive and install Vista Basic. And once
> it's installed with all updates I want to create a backup of my entire
> drive. I guess they
> refer to it as an image. In order to restore this image one needs to have
> a boot disc with
> the software that was used to create the image?
>
> James
>
> "Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
>> sheesh....
>>
>> But not ALL versions of Vista contain Complete Backup...
>>

>> --
>> Windows 7 RC
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>
>> "Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
>>> You mean "restore"?
>>> Yes.
>>> But not versions of Vista contain Complete Backup...
>>>

>>> --
>>> Windows 7 RC
>>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>> http://download.live.com/wlmail

SIW2

Re: Backup Sofware Suggestions

Hi James,

You may like to try Macrium Reflect. It is very small and fast and I
have always found it totally reliable.

There is free version that makes drive or partition backups, it allows
scheduling and mounting of the image to retrieve individual files. You
can also run off a boot disc from within the program:

'Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download'
(http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp)

Hope it helps

SIW2

--