How enter a new file type to associate

Dennis Evans is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How enter a new file type to associate
My computer is Vista Home Basic AMD Athlon 64x2.
I have received emails with .pps attachments which will not open unless I save them and open them using Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer.
I have gone through Control Panel & Default Program to "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". The list of file types offered there includes .ppsm & .ppsx. If I associate one of these with my program Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer it does not work with .pps attachments.
Step by step how can I include .pps in the list of file types?
Thank you for any help.
Dennis Evans
Jane C

Re: How enter a new file type to associate
Dennis Evans wrote:
> My computer is Vista Home Basic AMD Athlon 64x2.
> I have received emails with .pps attachments which will not open unless
> I save them and open them using Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer.
> I have gone through Control Panel & Default Program to "Associate a
> file type or protocol with a program". The list of file types offered
> there includes .ppsm & .ppsx. If I associate one of these with my
> program Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer it does not work with .pps
> attachments.
> Step by step how can I include .pps in the list of file types?
> Thank you for any help.
> Dennis Evans

Try this link from MVP Ramesh's site:

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

Dennis Evans is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How enter a new file type to associate
Thanks Jane not plain, but this did not work. Surely my problem relates to the missing .pps in the list of file types.
Dennis Evans
Jeff Richards

Re: How enter a new file type to associate
You can create a new entry in the list of file types by right-clicking a
file with the PPS extension, selecting Open and selecting the program to
open it with (PP Viewer, in this case). Make sure that the "Always use the
selected program...." checkbox is checked before selecting PP Viewer.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

> Thanks Jane not plain, but this did not work. Surely my problem relates
> to the missing .pps in the list of file types.
> Dennis Evans
>

> --
> Dennis Evans

Dennis Evans is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How enter a new file type to associate
Thank you, Jeff Richards, that has done the trick.
Dennis Evans

jaman2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts