Can not get external HD BKF to run

mmmacw

Can not get external HD BKF to run
Can anyone help me? My PC was running Window XP and I was using the windows
backup program to backup my computer onto an external Hard Drive. I had a
mother board failure and I have decided to just convert to only using my
Vista laptop. I have connected the external HD but when I try to run the
backup.bkf file it will not run on the Vista computer. I keep getting a
message saying that it does not recognize the .bkf file extension. I am open
to any ideas.
Gordon

Re: Can not get external HD BKF to run

"mmmacw" <mmmacw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me? My PC was running Window XP and I was using the
> windows
> backup program to backup my computer onto an external Hard Drive. I had a
> mother board failure and I have decided to just convert to only using my
> Vista laptop. I have connected the external HD but when I try to run the
> backup.bkf file it will not run on the Vista computer. I keep getting a
> message saying that it does not recognize the .bkf file extension. I am
> open
> to any ideas.

I think you'll find that the Vista backup is not the same as XP backup which
in turn was not the same as W98 backup......well done MS!!!!!!! You couldn't
make it up, could you?
Your easiest way (AFAICS) is to install Virtual PC, install XP in a virtual
machine, restore the backup them move the data to somewhere where Vista can
see it...

Dave T.

mmmacw wrote:
> Can anyone help me? My PC was running Window XP and I was using the windows
> backup program to backup my computer onto an external Hard Drive. I had a
> mother board failure and I have decided to just convert to only using my
> Vista laptop. I have connected the external HD but when I try to run the
> backup.bkf file it will not run on the Vista computer. I keep getting a
> message saying that it does not recognize the .bkf file extension. I am open
> to any ideas.

Which is why a 3rd party backup program is the ticket.

My situation is identical to yours. I backed up to an ext. HDD, suffered
a mobo failure, and restored all my stuff to a new computer so easily it
would make you cry.

If you have access to a PC running XP, restore to that and then transfer
to the Vista machine via flash, dvd's or whatever. Vista has an 'Easy
transfer' feature you may be able to use.

Dave
Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: Can not get external HD BKF to run
Here you go!

Restore a backup created on a previous version of Windows - Windows Vista
Help:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...ca1ab1033.mspx

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop Experience]
Supporting Windows« 7, Vista & XP http://www.winhelponline.com

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP wrote:
> Here you go!
>
> Restore a backup created on a previous version of Windows - Windows Vista
> Help:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...ca1ab1033.mspx

Wouldn't it just have been better if MS had done some joined-up thinking
in the first place? This issue appeared with XP as well.....
BTSabra

Re: Can not get external HD BKF to run
I have the same problems trying to open a .bkf file. Files were from a
previous driving using XP Pro and now trying to open with a 32-bit Vista. I
followed the instructions listed and still nothing. The NT Back-up Restore
Utility does not even recognize the files.

Effective suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

"Gordon" wrote:

> Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP wrote:
> > Here you go!
> >
> > Restore a backup created on a previous version of Windows - Windows Vista
> > Help:
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...ca1ab1033.mspx
> >

> Wouldn't it just have been better if MS had done some joined-up thinking
> in the first place? This issue appeared with XP as well.....

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: Can not get external HD BKF to run
I've used the NTBackup Restore Tool in the past with positive results. What
error do you get when you attempt to open a .BKF file using NTBackup?

--

"BTSabra" <BTSabra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problems trying to open a .bkf file. Files were from a
> previous driving using XP Pro and now trying to open with a 32-bit Vista.
> followed the instructions listed and still nothing. The NT Back-up
> Restore
> Utility does not even recognize the files.
>
> Effective suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP wrote:
>> > Here you go!
>> >
>> > Restore a backup created on a previous version of Windows - Windows
>> > Vista
>> > Help:
>> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...ca1ab1033.mspx
>> >

>> Wouldn't it just have been better if MS had done some joined-up thinking
>> in the first place? This issue appeared with XP as well.....

BTSabra

Re: Can not get external HD BKF to run
As I mentioned, the NTBackup Restore Tool does not acknowledge the files. I
have them on an external hard drive and even transferred one to my current
desktop and still nothing.

See screen captures below:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2426/...d11c1b3e_o.png
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2665/...07ec3e15_o.png

Your assistance is appreciated. Thanks.
"Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP" wrote:

> I've used the NTBackup Restore Tool in the past with positive results. What
> error do you get when you attempt to open a .BKF file using NTBackup?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop Experience]
> Supporting Windows® 7, Vista & XP http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "BTSabra" <BTSabra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problems trying to open a .bkf file. Files were from a
> > previous driving using XP Pro and now trying to open with a 32-bit Vista.
> > followed the instructions listed and still nothing. The NT Back-up
> > Restore
> > Utility does not even recognize the files.
> >
> > Effective suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

> >> Wouldn't it just have been better if MS had done some joined-up thinking
> >> in the first place? This issue appeared with XP as well.....

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: Can not get external HD BKF to run
Hi BTSabra,

Have you used the File menu within the NTBackup Restore tool to open the
..BKF archive. That might work.