ALL folders are set on READ ONLY - WTF ?

korvix

ALL folders are set on READ ONLY - WTF ?

ALL the folders in my vista are set to read only, which makes it
impossible to edit files inside folders.

Whenever I uncheck the 'read only' and close the window, it then checks
it again automatically.

I've tried taking ownership over a folder and files, and still the same
problem.

It happens to all the folders in my vista, how to solve this ?

--
korvix
Malke

Re: ALL folders are set on READ ONLY - WTF ?
korvix wrote:

> ALL the folders in my vista are set to read only, which makes it
> impossible to edit files inside folders.
>
> Whenever I uncheck the 'read only' and close the window, it then checks
> it again automatically.
>
> I've tried taking ownership over a folder and files, and still the same
> problem.
>
> It happens to all the folders in my vista, how to solve this ?

Just like it was in NT, Win2k, and XP read/write attributes are not
applicable to folders in Vista (and Win7). If you are having problems with
the files inside the folders, you need to examine their permissions. I see
that you've tried to take ownership, but you didn't say what files/folders,
where they are, or give any details about the issue. Therefore I can't give
you specific help.

Please review these steps to take ownership and see if you have followed
them. If yes and you still can't open files, please post back with the
missing details so we can help you.

A. Check the permissions of the file or folder the file is saved in and take
ownership:

1. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab.
3. Under Group or user names, click your name to see the permissions you
have.

To open a file, you need to have read permission. For more information on
permissions, see What are permissions?

http://tinyurl.com/2j9vgr

A. To take ownership of a folder:

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
3. Click Edit. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an
administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
confirmation.
4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.
5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this
folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
6. Click OK

B. Run this at an elevated Command Prompt:

cacls c:\ /t /e /g Administrators:f [enter]

This will give full rights to all the files and folders on drive C: to the
Administrators group, any member to this group will then have full rights
to the files.

To grant full rights to a specific user issue the command with the user's
name:

cacls c:\ /t /e /g Steve:f [enter]

will grant Steve full rights to all the files and folders on C:. If the
user name has spaces you must surround it with quotation marks:

cacls c:\ /t /e /g "Some User":f [enter]

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

R. C. White

Re: ALL folders are set on READ ONLY - WTF ?
Hi, korvix.

What Malke said.

Plus, this KB article is old (although updated last year), but a lot of
folks apparently haven't seen it because we get this question a lot:
You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders
in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"korvix" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> ALL the folders in my vista are set to read only, which makes it
> impossible to edit files inside folders.
>
> Whenever I uncheck the 'read only' and close the window, it then checks
> it again automatically.
>
> I've tried taking ownership over a folder and files, and still the same
> problem.
>
> It happens to all the folders in my vista, how to solve this ?
>

> --
> korvix

mazorj

> [...]

> folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check
> box.
> 6. Click OK
>
> B. Run this at an elevated Command Prompt:
>
> cacls c:\ /t /e /g Administrators:f [enter]
>
> This will give full rights to all the files and folders on drive C:
> to the
> Administrators group, any member to this group will then have full
> rights
> to the files.
>
> To grant full rights to a specific user issue the command with the
> user's
> name:
>
> cacls c:\ /t /e /g Steve:f [enter]
>
> will grant Steve full rights to all the files and folders on C:. If
> the
> user name has spaces you must surround it with quotation marks:
>
> cacls c:\ /t /e /g "Some User":f [enter]

I have Vista 64 home premium. Doing cacls /? from a command line
shows a message that "cacls is now deprecated, please use Icacls".

1. What does "deprecated" mean in Vista-speak?

2. Does this mean that Icacls should be used instead of cacls for
these operations now?

Brink

Re: ALL folders are set on READ ONLY - WTF ?

Hello Korvix,

This may be able to help you with setting them as not read-only.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...attribute.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

korvix;1067140 Wrote:
> ALL the folders in my vista are set to read only, which makes it
> impossible to edit files inside folders.
>
> Whenever I uncheck the 'read only' and close the window, it then checks
> it again automatically.
>
> I've tried taking ownership over a folder and files, and still the same
> problem.
>
> It happens to all the folders in my vista, how to solve this ?

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Jeff Richards

Re: ALL folders are set on READ ONLY - WTF ?
Deprecated means that although it still exists and is probably usable, you
should be shifting to the newer option, which in this case is icacls. The
old version might not exist in future releases or might not function
properly with changes that occur in those future releases, or it might have
bugs that the newer version doesn't have or it might have more features.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

"mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net> wrote in message

> snip <
>
> I have Vista 64 home premium. Doing cacls /? from a command line shows a
> message that "cacls is now deprecated, please use Icacls".
>
> 1. What does "deprecated" mean in Vista-speak?
>
> 2. Does this mean that Icacls should be used instead of cacls for these
> operations now?

mazorj

Re: ALL folders are set on READ ONLY - WTF ?
That's what I thought but I needed someone who really knows to confirm
it. Thanks.

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> Deprecated means that although it still exists and is probably
> usable, you should be shifting to the newer option, which in this
> case is icacls. The old version might not exist in future releases
> or might not function properly with changes that occur in those
> future releases, or it might have bugs that the newer version
> doesn't have or it might have more features.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
>
> "mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> snip <
>>
>> I have Vista 64 home premium. Doing cacls /? from a command line
>> shows a message that "cacls is now deprecated, please use Icacls".
>>
>> 1. What does "deprecated" mean in Vista-speak?
>>
>> 2. Does this mean that Icacls should be used instead of cacls for
>> these operations now?

Gordon

"Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello Korvix,
>
> This may be able to help you with setting them as not read-only.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...attribute.html

Why? It makes no difference to either manipulating the folders themselves or
the data in them...