Two ghost icons on my desktop, no attributes! Undeleteable! help!

Agauos

Two ghost icons on my desktop, no attributes! Undeleteable! help!

As the topic title states, I have an annoying bit of trouble here. There
are two files on my desktop which have no attributes, and they won't
delete. I've tried refreshing, restarting. I can see the files in the
command prompt and in the C:\Users\username\desktop. When I view their
properties, they are 0K, the path only leads to the desktop, and when I
click "security", an error message shows and it closes. When I attempt
to rename these files, it goes in a loop saying that the source file is
the same as the destination folder, and I need to rename it. The problem
is that I cannot rename it. So I have to restart explorer.exe

How can I get these annoyances off my desktop?

--
Agauos
Malke

Re: Two ghost icons on my desktop, no attributes! Undeleteable! help!
Agauos wrote:

> As the topic title states, I have an annoying bit of trouble here. There
> are two files on my desktop which have no attributes, and they won't
> delete. I've tried refreshing, restarting. I can see the files in the
> command prompt and in the C:\Users\username\desktop. When I view their
> properties, they are 0K, the path only leads to the desktop, and when I
> click "security", an error message shows and it closes. When I attempt
> to rename these files, it goes in a loop saying that the source file is
> the same as the destination folder, and I need to rename it. The problem
> is that I cannot rename it. So I have to restart explorer.exe
>
> How can I get these annoyances off my desktop?

Try running Chkdsk. Click to open Computer. Right-click the hard disk drive
that you want to check, and then click Properties. Click the Tools tab, and
then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. If you are prompted for an
administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan
detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Click Start.

Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes.
For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it's
checking for errors.

Note: If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a disk that is
in use (for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be
prompted you to reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart
your computer.

Malke
--
MS-MVP