disabling non-indexed searching in instant search

Alex Lee

disabling non-indexed searching in instant search
Dear all:
does anyone know how to disable non-indexed searching during search in
vista.
for example if I type "tree" all my documents would appear immediately
-- however windows then attempts to search for file names with
reference to "tree" -- files which have not been indexed and is
extremely slow.
is there a way to disable this?

thanks.
alex

Dave Johnson [MSFT]

Re: disabling non-indexed searching in instant search
Alex,

Open Folder Options (from the Cotnrol Panel or, from a folder, choose
Organize, Folder and Search Options). Click the Search tab.

Make sure the very first button is selected. It should say "In indexed
locations, search filenames and contents. In non-indexed locations, search
filenames only."

This is the option that uses the index and does not crawl through
non-indexed files.

--
Dave Johnson
Windows User Assistance team

Alex Lee

Re: disabling non-indexed searching in instant search
Hi Dave, thanks for your help, but is there a way to disable even the
"in non-index locations, search filenames only"?

what I want is for it to skip even the filename search.

thanks.
alex
On Apr 17, 3:46 pm, "Dave Johnson [MSFT]"
<dave...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Open Folder Options (from the Cotnrol Panel or, from a folder, choose
> Organize, Folder and Search Options). Click the Search tab.
>
> Make sure the very first button is selected. It should say "In indexed
> locations, search filenames and contents. In non-indexed locations, search
> filenames only."
>
> This is the option that uses the index and does not crawl through
> non-indexed files.
>
> --
> Dave Johnson
> Windows User Assistance team
> Microsoft Corporation

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: disabling non-indexed searching in instant search
I'm a bit confused. Can you explain exactly how you are searching and what
you are seeing?

If you go to Start -> Search, and type in your search there, then by default
only indexed locations are searched.

If you search from a specific directory then we will either use indexed or
non-indexed search as appropriate.

You can also control the scope of the search with the Advanced Search ->
Location control. So I'm not exactly sure where you would hit the scenario
you are describing.

Dave

"Alex Lee" <simplitia@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1176851129.324162.182090@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...
> Hi Dave, thanks for your help, but is there a way to disable even the
> "in non-index locations, search filenames only"?
>
> what I want is for it to skip even the filename search.
>
> thanks.
> alex
> On Apr 17, 3:46 pm, "Dave Johnson [MSFT]"
> <dave...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Alex,
>>
>> Open Folder Options (from the Cotnrol Panel or, from a folder, choose
>> Organize, Folder and Search Options). Click the Search tab.
>>
>> Make sure the very first button is selected. It should say "In indexed
>> locations, search filenames and contents. In non-indexed locations,
>> search
>> filenames only."
>>
>> This is the option that uses the index and does not crawl through
>> non-indexed files.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Johnson
>> Windows User Assistance team
>> Microsoft Corporation

Alex Lee

Re: disabling non-indexed searching in instant search
On Apr 17, 5:50 pm, "Dave Wood [MS]" <davew...@online.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I'm a bit confused. Can you explain exactly how you are searching and what
> you are seeing?
>
> If you go to Start -> Search, and type in your search there, then by default
> only indexed locations are searched.
>
> If you search from a specific directory then we will either use indexed or
> non-indexed search as appropriate.
>
> You can also control the scope of the search with the Advanced Search ->
> Location control. So I'm not exactly sure where you would hit the scenario
> you are describing.
>
> Dave
>
> "Alex Lee" <simpli...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1176851129.324162.182090@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...
>

> > Hi Dave, thanks for your help, but is there a way to disable even the
> > "in non-index locations, search filenames only"?

> > what I want is for it to skip even the filename search.

> > thanks.
> > alex
> > On Apr 17, 3:46 pm, "Dave Johnson [MSFT]"
> > <dave...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> Alex,

> >> Open Folder Options (from the Cotnrol Panel or, from a folder, choose
> >> Organize, Folder and Search Options). Click the Search tab.

> >> Make sure the very first button is selected. It should say "In indexed

Hi Dave:
ok lets say I am browsing my files. On the top right hand corner I
enter the search term "tree" -- windows would then instantly display
all the files that has the term "tree" -- however, after this it then
starts to search for file name associated with the same term (ie tree)
outside the indexed scope (eg entire c: drive!) -- I can see this
clearly because the address bar is has a busy status bar working on
"search result in computer" -- my question is -- can I disable this
feature because it slows my computer down unless I physically stop the
search.

thanks.
alex

> >> locations, search filenames and contents. In non-indexed locations,
> >> search
> >> filenames only."

> >> This is the option that uses the index and does not crawl through
> >> non-indexed files.

> >> --
> >> Dave Johnson
> >> Windows User Assistance team
> >> Microsoft Corporation- Hide quoted text -

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: disabling non-indexed searching in instant search
Okay, I think I get what you are saying.

Basically if you browse to a location and then type into the search box in
that window, then we by default search over all of that location. So if
parts of that location are not indexed then we will do a slower non-indexed
search.

If you want to search just indexed locations, then you can do Start and
click on Search, which will bring up a special Search window that will {by
default} search only indexed locations.

Or, in your original window you can open the Search Pane, select Advanced
Search, and then adjust the search scope there.

"Alex Lee" <simplitia@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1176867205.438998.151180@e65g2000hsc.googlegr oups.com...
> On Apr 17, 5:50 pm, "Dave Wood [MS]" <davew...@online.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm a bit confused. Can you explain exactly how you are searching and
>> what
>> you are seeing?
>>
>> If you go to Start -> Search, and type in your search there, then by
>> default
>> only indexed locations are searched.
>>
>> If you search from a specific directory then we will either use indexed
>> or
>> non-indexed search as appropriate.
>>
>> You can also control the scope of the search with the Advanced Search ->
>> Location control. So I'm not exactly sure where you would hit the
>> scenario
>> you are describing.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> "Alex Lee" <simpli...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:1176851129.324162.182090@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...
>>

>> > Hi Dave, thanks for your help, but is there a way to disable even the
>> > "in non-index locations, search filenames only"?

>> > what I want is for it to skip even the filename search.

>> > thanks.
>> > alex

> Hi Dave:
> ok lets say I am browsing my files. On the top right hand corner I
> enter the search term "tree" -- windows would then instantly display
> all the files that has the term "tree" -- however, after this it then
> starts to search for file name associated with the same term (ie tree)
> outside the indexed scope (eg entire c: drive!) -- I can see this
> clearly because the address bar is has a busy status bar working on
> "search result in computer" -- my question is -- can I disable this
> feature because it slows my computer down unless I physically stop the
> search.
>
> thanks.
> alex

Alex Lee

Re: disabling non-indexed searching in instant search
Thanks for all your help Dave.

Alex