Edit Menu doesn't work in Windows Explorer

Nico

Edit Menu doesn't work in Windows Explorer
Got a big problem. Since I bought my pc, everytime I try to move folders
from one to the other, or files from folder to folder etc... be it via a
normal drag and drop or via a batch command, the menu Edit in Windows
Explorer is grey, ctrl+a stops working, drag and drop more than one file
doesn't work.

I have used restore points in the past which have always allowed me to start
again... just not today. I am having to use cmd.exe and I am very close to
throwing the whole thing back to where I bought it from.
HELP!!!
Thanks

Nico

Re: Edit Menu doesn't work in Windows Explorer
OK... found an alternative, if you ever get this problem
www.xyplorer.com
I've just downloaded it on a free 30 day basis, but looks like it could do
the job. $30 is nothing compared to the 2 hours i've cost my boss doing
nothing else than p...g about with restore points (and that's just today)
If any one has any reason why I shouldn't use it (Security etc...) please
let me know. But I'll still welcome any fix to the issue that started this
post.

"Nico" <nservouse@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Got a big problem. Since I bought my pc, everytime I try to move folders
> from one to the other, or files from folder to folder etc... be it via a
> normal drag and drop or via a batch command, the menu Edit in Windows
> Explorer is grey, ctrl+a stops working, drag and drop more than one file
> doesn't work.
>
> I have used restore points in the past which have always allowed me to
> start again... just not today. I am having to use cmd.exe and I am very
> close to throwing the whole thing back to where I bought it from.
> HELP!!!
> Thanks

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Edit Menu doesn't work in Windows Explorer
It's a quirk of Explorer that's been showing up on some people's machines.
No known cause yet, but it gets saved with folder views once it happens.

I've written a script that helps MOST people with the multi-select problem.
It will remove single-select from saved folder views & saved defaults.
Right-click the link below & select 'Save Target As..."

http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip

Then extract the contents of the .zip file & run the script.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Nico" <nservouse@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Got a big problem. Since I bought my pc, everytime I try to move folders
> from one to the other, or files from folder to folder etc... be it via a
> normal drag and drop or via a batch command, the menu Edit in Windows
> Explorer is grey, ctrl+a stops working, drag and drop more than one file
> doesn't work.
>
> I have used restore points in the past which have always allowed me to
> start again... just not today. I am having to use cmd.exe and I am very
> close to throwing the whole thing back to where I bought it from.
> HELP!!!
> Thanks

Nico

Re: Edit Menu doesn't work in Windows Explorer
Seems to have done the trick, thanks for that. The only thing is I've lost
the paste option in a right-click.
Not so vital as I always use the keyboard, but would be helpful.
Thanks again

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> It's a quirk of Explorer that's been showing up on some people's machines.
> No known cause yet, but it gets saved with folder views once it happens.
>
> I've written a script that helps MOST people with the multi-select
> problem.
> It will remove single-select from saved folder views & saved defaults.
> Right-click the link below & select 'Save Target As..."
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip
>
> Then extract the contents of the .zip file & run the script.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Nico" <nservouse@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> Got a big problem. Since I bought my pc, everytime I try to move folders
>> from one to the other, or files from folder to folder etc... be it via a
>> normal drag and drop or via a batch command, the menu Edit in Windows
>> Explorer is grey, ctrl+a stops working, drag and drop more than one file
>> doesn't work.
>>
>> I have used restore points in the past which have always allowed me to
>> start again... just not today. I am having to use cmd.exe and I am very
>> close to throwing the whole thing back to where I bought it from.
>> HELP!!!
>> Thanks

Nico

Re: Edit Menu doesn't work in Windows Explorer
ignore this... my own inattention!
> Seems to have done the trick, thanks for that. The only thing is I've lost
> the paste option in a right-click.
> Not so vital as I always use the keyboard, but would be helpful.
> Thanks again
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> It's a quirk of Explorer that's been showing up on some people's
>> machines.
>> No known cause yet, but it gets saved with folder views once it happens.
>>
>> I've written a script that helps MOST people with the multi-select
>> problem.
>> It will remove single-select from saved folder views & saved defaults.
>> Right-click the link below & select 'Save Target As..."
>>
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip
>>
>> Then extract the contents of the .zip file & run the script.
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "Nico" <nservouse@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>> Got a big problem. Since I bought my pc, everytime I try to move folders
>>> from one to the other, or files from folder to folder etc... be it via a
>>> normal drag and drop or via a batch command, the menu Edit in Windows
>>> Explorer is grey, ctrl+a stops working, drag and drop more than one file
>>> doesn't work.
>>>
>>> I have used restore points in the past which have always allowed me to
>>> start again... just not today. I am having to use cmd.exe and I am very
>>> close to throwing the whole thing back to where I bought it from.
>>> HELP!!!
>>> Thanks

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Edit Menu doesn't work in Windows Explorer
Great. Glad to help.