Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Most things wont save. HELP!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2009
bartholomew14
 

Posts: n/a
Most things wont save. HELP!

OK, so for starters, when I am downloading a file, I can only open it,
because choosing "save" just closes the box and nothing happens. Also, I
cannot right click on a picture and choose "save as" because yet again
nothing happens. Various other related bugs are happening too. At first
I thought it was just an error with internet explorer buuuuuut, it also
happens with non internet related applications such as the
G.E.C.K.(Garden of Eden Creation Kit) for Fallout 3, when I edit, or
create a modification, I click save, and guess what... nothing happens.
So I cannot save my work, or anything else. I can however print a page
to a .xps document, and save stuff I paint in the Paint accessory. Why
this only happens for some things, I dont know, but one thing is for
sure. It annoys the hell out of me. I have tried thorough full
virus scans, and turned up nothing, cleared internet explorer and
windows temporary files, I have defragmented the hard disk(dont know how
this would help, but im trying everything.) I have done pretty much
anything known to man to figure this out, it is not working and kind of
a major issue for me. It just started happening this week.


--
bartholomew14

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2009
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Most things wont save. HELP!
Which firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware or security suite is installed?
There are some that cause problems which donít always appear immediately.

bartholomew14 wrote:
> OK, so for starters, when I am downloading a file, I can only open it,
> because choosing "save" just closes the box and nothing happens. Also, I
> cannot right click on a picture and choose "save as" because yet again
> nothing happens. Various other related bugs are happening too. At first
> I thought it was just an error with internet explorer buuuuuut, it also
> happens with non internet related applications such as the
> G.E.C.K.(Garden of Eden Creation Kit) for Fallout 3, when I edit, or
> create a modification, I click save, and guess what... nothing happens.
> So I cannot save my work, or anything else. I can however print a page
> to a .xps document, and save stuff I paint in the Paint accessory. Why
> this only happens for some things, I dont know, but one thing is for
> sure. It annoys the hell out of me. I have tried thorough full
> virus scans, and turned up nothing, cleared internet explorer and
> windows temporary files, I have defragmented the hard disk(dont know how
> this would help, but im trying everything.) I have done pretty much
> anything known to man to figure this out, it is not working and kind of
> a major issue for me. It just started happening this week.
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2009
bartholomew14
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Most things wont save. HELP!

I have Norton 360 and Windows firewall.


--
bartholomew14

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2009
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Most things wont save. HELP!
Norton is likely causing your problem.
Replace Norton with the free Avast
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html, and Windows Defender.
Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely uninstall it. If
it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is known
to cause many problems which donít always appear immediately.
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039


bartholomew14 wrote:
> I have Norton 360 and Windows firewall.
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2009
bartholomew14
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Most things wont save. HELP!

OK, this is what i have done so far, and none of them have worked:
1. Restarted in safe mode
2. Deleted Internet Explorer temporary files, Cookies, History,
recently typed URLs and index.dat files.
3. Deleted Windows Explorer recent documents, run(in start menu), Other
explorer MRUs, and thumbnail cache.
4. Emptied Recycle bin and system temporary files, cleared the
clipboard, and memory dumps.
5. Deleted windows log files and Chkdsk file fragments.
6. Deleted firefox cookies, download history, internet cache, and
internet history.
7. Deleted all of the above onon number 6 on Google Chrome.
8. Cleared the MS Picture Manager, and MS Office 2007
9. A whole bunch more applications that I care to name.
10. Checked for missing .dlls, un used file extensions, ActiveX and
class issues, type libraries, applications, fonts, application paths,
help files, installers, obselete software, run at startup, start menu
ordering, and MUI cache and fixed THEM ALL.
11. Defragmented disk
12. Checked for hard disk and memory errors(and found none)
13. Deleted Norton. Then replaced with another antivirus Software.
14. Freed up space on the harddrive by deleting some useless programs
and downloads.
15. Many, many other things that I dont have the time or just dont feel
like posting here.
After all that, nothing was changed(as far as my problem, my computer
runs more smoothly though =]) Sooooo, im going to need some more
suggestions.


--
bartholomew14

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2009
bartholomew14
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Most things wont save. HELP!

Ok well this one is closed, I tried everything EXCEPT installing service
pack 2, which I did hoping that it would work, and what you say? It
didnt work, because Vista is crappy? Oh, oh good people, it did work it
did work. Vista is actually working for once. But jokes aside, vista has
worked for me and I will always have it(yeah right, as soon as I have
enough money I am getting windows 7). I was getting so frustrated with
this thing, you dont even know. Well thanks for all of your help.


--
bartholomew14

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MS outlook wont save passwords SBR microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 02-16-2009 14:23
Five Things Google Could Do To Save Newspapers Steve General Technology News 0 01-09-2009 15:50
windows wont save theme settings jack-sparrow Windows Vista Home Premium 0 06-07-2008 16:31
movie maker wont save George microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 1 05-27-2008 14:56
Hosts wont save =?Utf-8?B?RHJ1c3M=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 04-21-2007 18:18




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:03.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120