Size of Temporary Internet Files is 5Gb after deleting from IE

gordonfmoore@yahoo.co.uk

Size of Temporary Internet Files is 5Gb after deleting from IE
I have been doing some housekeeping on my vista home premium laptop,
when I noted that I seemed to be using a huge amount of disk storage
for which I could not account.

I traced a huge 5Gb of it to the C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Local
\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files> folder

I cleaned the folders cache, cookies, etc from ie 7 but the size still
remains. Of course I can't see anything in this folder with windows
explorer, even with show all system files turned on, and right
clicking properties does not reveal any security tab etc.

I drilled down using an elevated privilege command prompt and found
three folders there:
AntiPhishing, Enclosure, FontPage TempDir

Enclosure seems to be the culprit, but it contains folders with guids
for names.

Anyone got any idea what is going on, what these folders are about and
crucially how can I reclaim my space?

Thanks for any insights.

Michael

Re: Size of Temporary Internet Files is 5Gb after deleting from IE
I 'think' that enclosure files are related to RSS feeds.

Michael

<gordonfmoore@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1176807892.835462.293230@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...
>I have been doing some housekeeping on my vista home premium laptop,
> when I noted that I seemed to be using a huge amount of disk storage
> for which I could not account.
>
> I traced a huge 5Gb of it to the C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Local
> \Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files> folder
>
> I cleaned the folders cache, cookies, etc from ie 7 but the size still
> remains. Of course I can't see anything in this folder with windows
> explorer, even with show all system files turned on, and right
> clicking properties does not reveal any security tab etc.
>
> I drilled down using an elevated privilege command prompt and found
> three folders there:
> AntiPhishing, Enclosure, FontPage TempDir
>
> Enclosure seems to be the culprit, but it contains folders with guids
> for names.
>
> Anyone got any idea what is going on, what these folders are about and
> crucially how can I reclaim my space?
>
> Thanks for any insights.

dean-dean

Re: Size of Temporary Internet Files is 5Gb after deleting from IE
To see the folders in Explorer, type this in the Run box:
"C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\T emporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5"
When the Explorer window opens, click on Temporary Internet Files in the
address bar, to go up a folder.

In C:\Users\(Name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te mporary Internet Files,
I only have two folders currently, AntiPhishing and Content.IE5. Hazarding
a guess, since I don't have this folder: an Enclosures folder is sometimes
used by an RSS reader for downloaded podcasts and/or information thereof.

<gordonfmoore@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1176807892.835462.293230@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...
>I have been doing some housekeeping on my vista home premium laptop,
> when I noted that I seemed to be using a huge amount of disk storage
> for which I could not account.
>
> I traced a huge 5Gb of it to the C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Local
> \Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files> folder
>
> I cleaned the folders cache, cookies, etc from ie 7 but the size still
> remains. Of course I can't see anything in this folder with windows
> explorer, even with show all system files turned on, and right
> clicking properties does not reveal any security tab etc.
>
> I drilled down using an elevated privilege command prompt and found
> three folders there:
> AntiPhishing, Enclosure, FontPage TempDir
>
> Enclosure seems to be the culprit, but it contains folders with guids
> for names.
>
> Anyone got any idea what is going on, what these folders are about and
> crucially how can I reclaim my space?
>
> Thanks for any insights.

R. C. White, MVP

Re: Size of Temporary Internet Files is 5Gb after deleting from IE
Hi, Gordon.

In addition to the other comments, you might consider going into Internet
Explorer and clicking Tools | Internet Options | Advanced. Scroll down to
the Security heading and check the box to "Empty Temporary Internet Files
folder when browser is closed".

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

<gordonfmoore@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1176807892.835462.293230@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...
>I have been doing some housekeeping on my vista home premium laptop,
> when I noted that I seemed to be using a huge amount of disk storage
> for which I could not account.
>
> I traced a huge 5Gb of it to the C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Local
> \Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files> folder
>
> I cleaned the folders cache, cookies, etc from ie 7 but the size still
> remains. Of course I can't see anything in this folder with windows
> explorer, even with show all system files turned on, and right
> clicking properties does not reveal any security tab etc.
>
> I drilled down using an elevated privilege command prompt and found
> three folders there:
> AntiPhishing, Enclosure, FontPage TempDir
>
> Enclosure seems to be the culprit, but it contains folders with guids
> for names.
>
> Anyone got any idea what is going on, what these folders are about and
> crucially how can I reclaim my space?
>
> Thanks for any insights.

Gordon Moore

Re: Size of Temporary Internet Files is 5Gb after deleting from IE
Excellent. I thought, hold on I don't use rss feeds - never get much
time to read them, then it struck me. This is the result of the Media
Center Q application that comes with the Media Center SDK - I think.

Can anyone suggest what the implications might be if all folders/files
are deleted? (Assuming the system let's me)

(I particularly liked the tip on the run box.)

On 17 Apr, 15:53, "dean-dean" <dean-d...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> To see the folders in Explorer, type this in the Run box:
> "C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\T emporary Internet
> Files\Content.IE5"
> When the Explorer window opens, click on Temporary Internet Files in the
> address bar, to go up a folder.
>
> In C:\Users\(Name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te mporary Internet Files,
> I only have two folders currently, AntiPhishing and Content.IE5. Hazarding
> a guess, since I don't have this folder: an Enclosures folder is sometimes
> used by an RSS reader for downloaded podcasts and/or information thereof.
>
> <gordonfmo...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> news:1176807892.835462.293230@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...
>
> >I have been doing some housekeeping on my vista home premium laptop,
> > when I noted that I seemed to be using a huge amount of disk storage
> > for which I could not account.

> > I traced a huge 5Gb of it to the C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Local
> > \Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files> folder

> > I cleaned the folders cache, cookies, etc from ie 7 but the size still
> > remains. Of course I can't see anything in this folder with windows
> > explorer, even with show all system files turned on, and right
> > clicking properties does not reveal any security tab etc.

> > I drilled down using an elevated privilege command prompt and found
> > three folders there:
> > AntiPhishing, Enclosure, FontPage TempDir

> > Enclosure seems to be the culprit, but it contains folders with guids
> > for names.

> > Anyone got any idea what is going on, what these folders are about and
> > crucially how can I reclaim my space?

> > Thanks for any insights.

Gordon Moore

On 17 Apr, 22:03, Gordon Moore <gordonfmo...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Excellent. I thought, hold on I don't use rss feeds - never get much
> time to read them, then it struck me. This is the result of the Media
> Center Q application that comes with the Media Center SDK - I think.
>
> Can anyone suggest what the implications might be if all folders/files
> are deleted? (Assuming the system let's me)
>
> (I particularly liked the tip on the run box.)
>
> On 17 Apr, 15:53, "dean-dean" <dean-d...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> > To see the folders in Explorer, type this in the Run box:
> > "C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\T emporary Internet
> > Files\Content.IE5"
> > When the Explorer window opens, click on Temporary Internet Files in the
> > address bar, to go up a folder.

> > In C:\Users\(Name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te mporary Internet Files,
> > I only have two folders currently, AntiPhishing and Content.IE5. Hazarding
> > a guess, since I don't have this folder: an Enclosures folder is sometimes
> > used by an RSS reader for downloaded podcasts and/or information thereof.

> > <gordonfmo...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> >news:1176807892.835462.293230@o5g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...

> > >I have been doing some housekeeping on my vista home premium laptop,
> > > when I noted that I seemed to be using a huge amount of disk storage
> > > for which I could not account.

> > > I traced a huge 5Gb of it to the C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Local
> > > \Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files> folder

> > > I cleaned the folders cache, cookies, etc from ie 7 but the size still
> > > remains. Of course I can't see anything in this folder with windows

No worries, I deleted the guids anyway and the system rebooted, so I
emptied the bin.

Thanks everyone, it's appreciated.

Oh and my post should have said lets, not let's - doh

)

> > > explorer, even with show all system files turned on, and right
> > > clicking properties does not reveal any security tab etc.

> > > I drilled down using an elevated privilege command prompt and found
> > > three folders there:
> > > AntiPhishing, Enclosure, FontPage TempDir

> > > Enclosure seems to be the culprit, but it contains folders with guids
> > > for names.

> > > Anyone got any idea what is going on, what these folders are about and
> > > crucially how can I reclaim my space?

> > > Thanks for any insights.

dean-dean

Re: Size of Temporary Internet Files is 5Gb after deleting from IE
I would use Internet Properties to delete the contents of the Content.IE5
folder (the cache for IE7), rather than delete the files directly, so that
IE can keep its index.dat straight). Also avoid deleting any desktop.ini
files. The AntiPhishing folder is also a function of IE7. Your Q program
*should* have a means of deleting its cache from within the program, but if
not, it will probably recreate what it needs if you go ahead and delete the
files (which, after all, are in a "Temporary" folder...). Again, I wouldn't
delete the folders themselves, or any desktop.ini's within them, but other
content in that folder should be okay to get rid of.

news:1176843816.835759.85060@y80g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...