Moving jpegs

iowabucks

Moving jpegs
Hey everyone.

I just did a fresh install of Vista on a new 500gb hard drive. I backed up
all my old photos and data. Made 5 partitions on this new one and tried to
leave one for just media. I have alot of pictures. My C:\ drive was
originally intended for the OS, updates and virus/trojan scanners. I made it
for 40gb to have extra room left over.

It seems the extra room is going fast now. Most all my pictures i had in my
documents and my pictures. If i put these pictures back where they belong it
will just about fill up the rest of the space in the C;\ drive.

Is there any way i can put these pictures back in My Documents but actually
have the pictures reside in my F:\ drive? What would be the easiest way to
handle that?
Malke

Re: Moving jpegs
iowabucks wrote:

> Hey everyone.
>
> I just did a fresh install of Vista on a new 500gb hard drive. I backed up
> all my old photos and data. Made 5 partitions on this new one and tried to
> leave one for just media. I have alot of pictures. My C:\ drive was
> originally intended for the OS, updates and virus/trojan scanners. I made
> it for 40gb to have extra room left over.
>
> It seems the extra room is going fast now. Most all my pictures i had in
> my documents and my pictures. If i put these pictures back where they
> belong it will just about fill up the rest of the space in the C;\ drive.
>
> Is there any way i can put these pictures back in My Documents but
> actually have the pictures reside in my F:\ drive? What would be the
> easiest way to handle that?

First of all, five partitions on a 500GB drive is excessive unless you are
multi-booting different operating systems. There is no point in putting
programs, for instance, on anything but the system drive since a reinstall
of the operating systems will require a reinstall of all the programs
anyway.

You will often run out of space with a many-partition scheme like yours, as
you are doing now.

It would be better to use third-party software (gparted, Acronis Disk
Director) to partition the drive into only two partitions instead. You can
move the Documents and other User folders to your second hard drive if you
want, or just make organizational folders directly on the "data" partition.
To move the Documents folder to another location (like another partition or
hard drive), right-click on the Documents folder and click Properties, then
you'll find a tab called Location. Use the Move-button to move the folder
to another location.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Noel Paton

Re: Moving jpegs
On Sat, 30 May 2009 04:50:38 -0700, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>iowabucks wrote:
>
>> Hey everyone.
>>
>> I just did a fresh install of Vista on a new 500gb hard drive. I backed up
>> all my old photos and data. Made 5 partitions on this new one and tried to
>> leave one for just media. I have alot of pictures. My C:\ drive was
>> originally intended for the OS, updates and virus/trojan scanners. I made
>> it for 40gb to have extra room left over.
>>
>> It seems the extra room is going fast now. Most all my pictures i had in
>> my documents and my pictures. If i put these pictures back where they
>> belong it will just about fill up the rest of the space in the C;\ drive.
>>
>> Is there any way i can put these pictures back in My Documents but
>> actually have the pictures reside in my F:\ drive? What would be the
>> easiest way to handle that?

>First of all, five partitions on a 500GB drive is excessive unless you are
>multi-booting different operating systems. There is no point in putting
>programs, for instance, on anything but the system drive since a reinstall
>of the operating systems will require a reinstall of all the programs
>anyway.
>
>You will often run out of space with a many-partition scheme like yours, as
>you are doing now.
>
>It would be better to use third-party software (gparted, Acronis Disk
>Director) to partition the drive into only two partitions instead. You can
>move the Documents and other User folders to your second hard drive if you
>want, or just make organizational folders directly on the "data" partition.
>To move the Documents folder to another location (like another partition or
>hard drive), right-click on the Documents folder and click Properties, then
>you'll find a tab called Location. Use the Move-button to move the folder
>to another location.
>

>Malke

Just to add to Malke's post (which I entirely agree with) note that
you need to create a folder into which the documents are moved BEFORE
moving them - or they'll end up dumped into whatever folder you've
pointed at - as Windows does not move the folder as such, only the
content.

HTH
--
Noel Paton