Duplicate Files

JamesJ

Duplicate Files
Is it normal for Vista Home Basic to store 2 to 5 duplicates of the same
file?
I used a 3rd party program top search for duplicates and I couldn't believe
how many and how much space is being used up by these files.
And this was a scan of the Program Files folder only. I'm not talking about
kilobytes that was
suggested in my recent post about .MSC files. I can't even begin to fathom
how
much disk space these files are taking up.

James

Luis Armelin

Re: Duplicate Files
Good Morning James,

It happens when the system has shadow copies enabled. It is enabled when you
create the restoration points. Every time, when you change the file, the
system will save a shadow copy to you.
It can be disable in => Start/ right clik in Computer / Propriety / Click
System Protection and deselect local drive C: in disks avaiable.

Other way to get disk space is doing a 'disk cleaning'. On Windows Explorer,
right click on local disk and click proprieties. Click in 'disk cleaning'.
When 'disk cleaning' window appear, click in 'more options' tab go to system
restoration and shasow copy and click in 'clean' button.

TO save disk space in your computer, you would do this two steps above.

It would resolve your issue.

Sorry by my english...
Luis

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Is it normal for Vista Home Basic to store 2 to 5 duplicates of the same
> file?
> I used a 3rd party program top search for duplicates and I couldn't
> believe
> how many and how much space is being used up by these files.
> And this was a scan of the Program Files folder only. I'm not talking
> about kilobytes that was
> suggested in my recent post about .MSC files. I can't even begin to fathom
> how
> much disk space these files are taking up.
>
> James

JamesJ

Re: Duplicate Files
Not really an issue was just curious.
I don't want to disable shadow copy. Restore have saved me
in th past and I use Disk Cleanup evry week.

But when I right click c: (my local drive) and select properties I see no
'disk cleaning' in the properties.
Should it be there?

James

"Luis Armelin" <armelin_fatec@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
> Good Morning James,
>
> It happens when the system has shadow copies enabled. It is enabled when
> you create the restoration points. Every time, when you change the file,
> the system will save a shadow copy to you.
> It can be disable in => Start/ right clik in Computer / Propriety / Click
> System Protection and deselect local drive C: in disks avaiable.
>

> Other way to get disk space is doing a 'disk cleaning'. On Windows
> Explorer, right click on local disk and click proprieties. Click in 'disk
> cleaning'. When 'disk cleaning' window appear, click in 'more options' tab
> go to system restoration and shasow copy and click in 'clean' button.
>
> TO save disk space in your computer, you would do this two steps above.
>
> It would resolve your issue.
>
> Sorry by my english...
> Luis
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> Is it normal for Vista Home Basic to store 2 to 5 duplicates of the same
>> file?
>> I used a 3rd party program top search for duplicates and I couldn't
>> believe
>> how many and how much space is being used up by these files.
>> And this was a scan of the Program Files folder only. I'm not talking
>> about kilobytes that was
>> suggested in my recent post about .MSC files. I can't even begin to
>> fathom how
>> much disk space these files are taking up.
>>
>> James

JamesJ

Re: Duplicate Files
I found disk cleanup. I was looking in the 'Tools' tab.
I've using it form the start menu.

Thanks,
James

And Luis, your English is fine.

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Not really an issue was just curious.
> I don't want to disable shadow copy. Restore have saved me
> in th past and I use Disk Cleanup evry week.
>
> But when I right click c: (my local drive) and select properties I see no
> 'disk cleaning' in the properties.
> Should it be there?
>
> James
>
> "Luis Armelin" <armelin_fatec@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
>> Good Morning James,
>>
>> It happens when the system has shadow copies enabled. It is enabled when
>> you create the restoration points. Every time, when you change the file,
>> the system will save a shadow copy to you.
>> It can be disable in => Start/ right clik in Computer / Propriety / Click
>> System Protection and deselect local drive C: in disks avaiable.
>>

>> Other way to get disk space is doing a 'disk cleaning'. On Windows
>> Explorer, right click on local disk and click proprieties. Click in 'disk
>> cleaning'. When 'disk cleaning' window appear, click in 'more options'
>> tab go to system restoration and shasow copy and click in 'clean'
>> button.
>>
>> TO save disk space in your computer, you would do this two steps above.
>>
>> It would resolve your issue.
>>
>> Sorry by my english...
>> Luis
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> escreveu na mensagem
>>> Is it normal for Vista Home Basic to store 2 to 5 duplicates of the
>>> same file?
>>> I used a 3rd party program top search for duplicates and I couldn't
>>> believe
>>> how many and how much space is being used up by these files.
>>> And this was a scan of the Program Files folder only. I'm not talking
>>> about kilobytes that was
>>> suggested in my recent post about .MSC files. I can't even begin to
>>> fathom how
>>> much disk space these files are taking up.
>>>
>>> James

wonn1377

Re: Duplicate Files

So far the Duplicate Finder 2009 has worked great for me!
It has been a terrific assistance for me. It helps me in finding the
duplicates files and Duplicate Finder is very fast in searching
duplicate files with good interface. it does CRC32, byte/byte and Same
FileName comparisons and allows you to batch mark and batch delete or
move the dupes.

--
wonn1377