Renaming a file

mdw

Renaming a file
I downloaded a software file and my security software changed the file type
from *.exe to *.efw. I need to rename the file to an exe file but have not
been able to do so. If I right-click on the file and click rename, I can
change the name by adding .exe but the file type does not change. Am looking
for suggestions. I am using a new computer running Vista with sp1.
--
seeking help in NC
Bob

Re: Renaming a file

You can prevent EFW files from being created by temporarily disabling
your antivirus software when downloading legitimate zipped or executable
files.

mdw wrote:
> I downloaded a software file and my security software changed the file type
> from *.exe to *.efw. I need to rename the file to an exe file but have not
> been able to do so. If I right-click on the file and click rename, I can
> change the name by adding .exe but the file type does not change. Am looking
> for suggestions. I am using a new computer running Vista with sp1.

mazorj

Re: Renaming a file

"Bob" <nowhere@nowhere/net> wrote in message

> You can prevent EFW files from being created by temporarily
> disabling your antivirus software when downloading legitimate zipped
> or executable files.

It would be better if that feature of the AV software could be
disabled from within it. I would check for that before going
unprotected on the Internet even for a few minutes. If it can't be
disabled, maybe it's time to shop for a new AV program. Otherwise,
you're going to be exposing yourself every time to want to download a
zip or executable file.

> mdw wrote:
>> I downloaded a software file and my security software changed the
>> file type from *.exe to *.efw. I need to rename the file to an exe
>> file but have not been able to do so. If I right-click on the file
>> and click rename, I can change the name by adding .exe but the file
>> type does not change. Am looking for suggestions. I am using a
>> new computer running Vista with sp1.

DL

Re: Renaming a file
You are not exposing yourself to anything within a zip or exe unless you run
it.

"mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere/net> wrote in message
>>
>> You can prevent EFW files from being created by temporarily disabling
>> your antivirus software when downloading legitimate zipped or executable
>> files.

> It would be better if that feature of the AV software could be disabled
> from within it. I would check for that before going unprotected on the
> Internet even for a few minutes. If it can't be disabled, maybe it's time
> to shop for a new AV program. Otherwise, you're going to be exposing
> yourself every time to want to download a zip or executable file.
>
>> mdw wrote:
>>> I downloaded a software file and my security software changed the file
>>> type from *.exe to *.efw. I need to rename the file to an exe file but
>>> have not been able to do so. If I right-click on the file and click
>>> rename, I can change the name by adding .exe but the file type does not
>>> change. Am looking for suggestions. I am using a new computer running
>>> Vista with sp1.

DL

Re: Renaming a file
When you downloaded this software are you selecting 'run' if so select save,
the extension should not then be changed

"mdw" <mdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded a software file and my security software changed the file type
> from *.exe to *.efw. I need to rename the file to an exe file but have
> not
> been able to do so. If I right-click on the file and click rename, I can
> change the name by adding .exe but the file type does not change. Am
> looking
> for suggestions. I am using a new computer running Vista with sp1.
> --
> seeking help in NC

mazorj

Re: Renaming a file

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
news:%23Qww%23c%233JHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl.. .
> You are not exposing yourself to anything within a zip or exe unless
> you run it.

I was talking about being online if you shut down your security
programs in order to do the download as Bob suggested. It only takes
a minute or two of being online without security to get zapped. Any
security program that makes you shut down your online protections in
order to to download a zip or executable is fatally flawed.

Ideally you would locate and turn off only the security feature that
wants to rename downloaded zip/executable files. Then do the download
of the zip or executable to its proper filename and extension (type).
Turn the "renaming protection" feature back on if you want. Now click
on the zip or executable file to run it.

While your statement is correct, if the file is malware, you don't
want to be executing it while your security is turned off, which could
happen if you disabled security to do the download and forgot to
reactivate it before running the zip/executable.

> "mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere/net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You can prevent EFW files from being created by temporarily
>>> disabling your antivirus software when downloading legitimate
>>> zipped or executable files.

>> It would be better if that feature of the AV software could be
>> disabled from within it. I would check for that before going
>> unprotected on the Internet even for a few minutes. If it can't be
>> disabled, maybe it's time to shop for a new AV program. Otherwise,
>> you're going to be exposing yourself every time to want to download
>> a zip or executable file.

Luis Armelin

Re: Renaming a file
Good Morning,

Don't disable your anti-virus!
Try this:
Open CMD prompt with administrative privileges. On CMD line, type: ren
filename.exe filename.efw
With this command you can change the file name and the file extension like
*.exe => *.efw

Sorry by my english.
Bye...
Luis

"mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net> escreveu na mensagem

> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:%23Qww%23c%233JHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl.. .
>> You are not exposing yourself to anything within a zip or exe unless you
>> run it.

> I was talking about being online if you shut down your security programs
> in order to do the download as Bob suggested. It only takes a minute or
> two of being online without security to get zapped. Any security program
> that makes you shut down your online protections in order to to download a
> zip or executable is fatally flawed.
>
> Ideally you would locate and turn off only the security feature that wants
> to rename downloaded zip/executable files. Then do the download of the
> zip or executable to its proper filename and extension (type). Turn the
> "renaming protection" feature back on if you want. Now click on the zip
> or executable file to run it.
>
> While your statement is correct, if the file is malware, you don't want to
> be executing it while your security is turned off, which could happen if
> you disabled security to do the download and forgot to reactivate it
> before running the zip/executable.
>
>> "mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere/net> wrote in message

>>> It would be better if that feature of the AV software could be disabled
>>> from within it. I would check for that before going unprotected on the
>>> Internet even for a few minutes. If it can't be disabled, maybe it's
>>> time to shop for a new AV program. Otherwise, you're going to be
>>> exposing yourself every time to want to download a zip or executable
>>> file.

Bob

Re: Renaming a file
Most likely the OP is running Computer Associates (CA) AV.

An alternative to temporarily disabling the AV is to change the file
extension to ".zip".

mazorj wrote:
> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:%23Qww%23c%233JHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl.. .
>> You are not exposing yourself to anything within a zip or exe unless
>> you run it.

> I was talking about being online if you shut down your security
> programs in order to do the download as Bob suggested. It only takes
> a minute or two of being online without security to get zapped. Any
> security program that makes you shut down your online protections in
> order to to download a zip or executable is fatally flawed.
>
> Ideally you would locate and turn off only the security feature that
> wants to rename downloaded zip/executable files. Then do the download
> of the zip or executable to its proper filename and extension (type).
> Turn the "renaming protection" feature back on if you want. Now click
> on the zip or executable file to run it.
>
> While your statement is correct, if the file is malware, you don't
> want to be executing it while your security is turned off, which could
> happen if you disabled security to do the download and forgot to
> reactivate it before running the zip/executable.
>
>> "mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere/net> wrote in message
>>> It would be better if that feature of the AV software could be
>>> disabled from within it. I would check for that before going
>>> unprotected on the Internet even for a few minutes. If it can't be
>>> disabled, maybe it's time to shop for a new AV program. Otherwise,
>>> you're going to be exposing yourself every time to want to download
>>> a zip or executable file.

DL

Re: Renaming a file
An Av doesnt prevent anything when online, a suitable firewall does

> Most likely the OP is running Computer Associates (CA) AV.
>
> An alternative to temporarily disabling the AV is to change the file
> extension to ".zip".

The OP already said he couldn't rename an .efw file to .exe, which
suggests that the security software still has some kind of hold on the
downloaded file, perhaps a quarantine.