Vista default tree?

Hogarth

Vista default tree?
I'm trying to find out what the file tree would contain and how it is
arranged, if I had installed Vista Home Premium on my new machine and hadn't
done anything else. If you wonder why I'd like to know, here is the why.
Over the years I've been using computers, from DOS on to Vista, the
architects of each OS had slightly different ways of thinking about paths and
branches and all that. And so, as I transferred files from one to another,
remnants of the various philosophies still come along.
From time to time I made adjustments if their way of thinking didn't suit me.
Anyway, I got a new computer with Vista Home Premium, and I wanted to have it
useful as soon as possible, so I made a file transfer from my XP machine.
Perhaps I shouldn't have, but let's not go into that now.
I won't go into too much boring items, but for instance I now find two
folders named Downloads, one Download, one My Downloads and a couple of
others. And each was connected with a different idea of how things should be
arranged.
I find myself strangely interested in what I can figure out of Vista's ways
of connection and searching and juxtapositions - the first time in memory
that I can say that about anything Microsoft. But I can't see the tree for
the forest of tangled connections.
So my question.
If you printed out the tree of a newly minted Vista equipped machine, what
would it look like?
thank you

Leo

Re: Vista default tree?
Search the net for Vista and Junctions and you may find some answers.

--
Leo

If you can't annoy somebody, there is little point in posting.

"Hogarth" <u33401@uwe> wrote in message news:70cf3a653ad24@uwe...
> I'm trying to find out what the file tree would contain and how it is
> arranged, if I had installed Vista Home Premium on my new machine and
> hadn't
> done anything else. If you wonder why I'd like to know, here is the why.
> Over the years I've been using computers, from DOS on to Vista, the
> architects of each OS had slightly different ways of thinking about paths
> and
> branches and all that. And so, as I transferred files from one to
> another,
> remnants of the various philosophies still come along.
> From time to time I made adjustments if their way of thinking didn't suit
> me.
> Anyway, I got a new computer with Vista Home Premium, and I wanted to have
> it
> useful as soon as possible, so I made a file transfer from my XP machine.
> Perhaps I shouldn't have, but let's not go into that now.
> I won't go into too much boring items, but for instance I now find two
> folders named Downloads, one Download, one My Downloads and a couple of
> others. And each was connected with a different idea of how things should
> be
> arranged.
> I find myself strangely interested in what I can figure out of Vista's
> ways
> of connection and searching and juxtapositions - the first time in memory
> that I can say that about anything Microsoft. But I can't see the tree
> for
> the forest of tangled connections.
> So my question.
> If you printed out the tree of a newly minted Vista equipped machine, what
> would it look like?
> thank you

Hogarth

Re: Vista default tree?
Leo wrote:
>Search the net for Vista and Junctions and you may find some answers.
>
>> I'm trying to find out what the file tree would contain and how it is
>> arranged, if I had installed Vista Home Premium on my new machine and

>[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]
>> would it look like?
>> thank you

Wow! that doesn't tell me what I asked for, it tells me (as far as I can tell)
what the situation is. As noted in my original, I am no techie. But I think
I can glean enough to lead me to what I should put where, and where things
disappeared to (eg, Documents and Settings) and how to get there.
It probably also explains why when I asked support at Forte Agent how to find
the data files which in earlier versions of Agent were in the Agent directory,
he replied:

"As of version 4.2, Agent will by default place its data files in the
Windows default location for program data. In Windows XP, this is
"C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Forte\Agent" and in
Windows Vista this is "C:\Users\<user>\Roaming\Forte\Agent" (NOTE: If your
system was originally XP and upgraded to Vista, it's probably the XP path.)"

and I couldn't find either one of those paths (and yes I had hidden files not
hidden.)

My mind is further boggled than usual.

Thanks

Hogarth via WindowsKB.com

Re: Vista default tree?
Hogarth wrote:
>>Search the net for Vista and Junctions and you may find some answers.
>>

>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>> would it look like?
>>> thank you

>Wow! that doesn't tell me what I asked for, it tells me (as far as I can tell)
>what the situation is. As noted in my original, I am no techie. But I think
>I can glean enough to lead me to what I should put where, and where things
>disappeared to (eg, Documents and Settings) and how to get there.
>It probably also explains why when I asked support at Forte Agent how to find
>the data files which in earlier versions of Agent were in the Agent directory,
>he replied:
>
>"As of version 4.2, Agent will by default place its data files in the
>Windows default location for program data. In Windows XP, this is
>"C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Forte\Agent" and in
>Windows Vista this is "C:\Users\<user>\Roaming\Forte\Agent" (NOTE: If your
>system was originally XP and upgraded to Vista, it's probably the XP path.)"
>
>and I couldn't find either one of those paths (and yes I had hidden files not
>hidden.)
>
>My mind is further boggled than usual.
>
>Thanks

Thread originator here again. Assuming anyone is still vaguely interested in
this subject, I'll let you know that I found something that pretty much tells
me what I needed to know. I don't get a tree, but an idea of what it is
doing.

http://www.cnet.com.au/software/oper...9272404,00.htm

a "quick guide) to Vista's OS.

Thanks again. It's been nice visiting here.