Windows Explorer in Vista HP/64

Jeffrey Kaplan

Windows Explorer in Vista HP/64
Not sure if this is the right group for this question or not, but it's
about Windows Explorer, which is used for file management...

In this case, "HP" stands for "Home Premium" and "Hewlett-Packard".

I have an HP Pavilion Vista Home Premium 64bit that I bought last week
and Windows Explorer is giving me a conniption.

It seems to never remember my view settings. On an increasingly often
basis, whenever I open it, it does so with a reset window placement and
size - usually to the new/default, but sometimes not. It also will
forget that I want it set to view as Details, and not grouped, instead
giving me Tiles grouped by type.

I've held the [CTRL] key while closing the window. I've gone into
Tools \ Folder Options \ View and clicked the "Apply to folders"
button.

Second issue is that network drives on a switched-off computer on my
LAN are still showing as present, until I select one. The icon in the
folder pane and content pane shows a green connection point, and the
Type in the content pane says "Network Drive", not "Disconnected". Even
after getting the error that really doesn't make any sense to me:

An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to
[ \\UNC\Path ]
Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.

This connection has not been restored.

I'm not trying to assign the name to something else.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

If I Am Ever the Sidekick... 24. I will make plans for disposal of my
body after I have died, so the Evil Overlord cannot use it for
insidious reasons of his own.
H Brown

Re: Windows Explorer in Vista HP/64
Hi Jeffrey
As to your first subject/question and second subject/ question view the
links below for your answers. You have the same information in your local
Help and Support files on your computer. From the start menu select Help and
Support, in the search box at the top of that window type "Change folder
views and behavior". For the second question type "Adjust the default size
of windows". While your in Help and Support adjust your help setting under
Options to "Include Windows Online Help and Support when you search for
help".

*Change folder views and behavior*
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...939cd1033.mspx
*Adjust the default size of windows*
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...162a21033.mspx

As to your third subject/question
> Second issue is that _network drives on a switched-off computer on my
> LAN are still showing as present_

Because that is some what off the Subject: of your post here, you may get
better answers by starting a new post in the
"microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing " news group about your
"Second issue" network...

H Brown

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <nomail@gordol.org> wrote in message
news:k9an05h6qi4kdoesincmom1g68prsh8s18@gordol.org ...
> Not sure if this is the right group for this question or not, but it's
> about Windows Explorer, which is used for file management...
>
> In this case, "HP" stands for "Home Premium" and "Hewlett-Packard".
>
> I have an HP Pavilion Vista Home Premium 64bit that I bought last week
> and Windows Explorer is giving me a conniption.
>
> It seems to never remember my view settings. On an increasingly often
> basis, whenever I open it, it does so with a reset window placement and
> size - usually to the new/default, but sometimes not. It also will
> forget that I want it set to view as Details, and not grouped, instead
> giving me Tiles grouped by type.
>
> I've held the [CTRL] key while closing the window. I've gone into
> Tools \ Folder Options \ View and clicked the "Apply to folders"
> button.
>
> Second issue is that network drives on a switched-off computer on my
> LAN are still showing as present, until I select one. The icon in the
> folder pane and content pane shows a green connection point, and the
> Type in the content pane says "Network Drive", not "Disconnected". Even
> after getting the error that really doesn't make any sense to me:
>
> An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to
> [ \\UNC\Path ]
> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.
>
> This connection has not been restored.
>
> I'm not trying to assign the name to something else.
>
> --
> Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
> Double ROT13 encoded for your protection
>
> If I Am Ever the Sidekick... 24. I will make plans for disposal of my
> body after I have died, so the Evil Overlord cannot use it for
> insidious reasons of his own.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Re: Windows Explorer in Vista HP/64
Previously on microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management, H Brown
said:

> > It seems to never remember my view settings. On an increasingly often
> > basis, whenever I open it, it does so with a reset window placement and
> > size - usually to the new/default, but sometimes not. It also will
> > forget that I want it set to view as Details, and not grouped, instead
> > giving me Tiles grouped by type.

> As to your first subject/question and second subject/ question view the
> links below for your answers. You have the same information in your local
> Help and Support files on your computer. From the start menu select Help and
> Support, in the search box at the top of that window type "Change folder
> views and behavior". For the second question type "Adjust the default size
> of windows". While your in Help and Support adjust your help setting under
> Options to "Include Windows Online Help and Support when you search for
> help".

Thank you for responding.

> *Change folder views and behavior*
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...939cd1033.mspx

This is not the issue. I know how to change the view settings. The
problem is that they are not being kept. Windows is randomly changing
the settings on me.

> *Adjust the default size of windows*
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...162a21033.mspx

This is also not the issue. I know how to change the window sizes and
positions. The problem is that they are not being kept. Windows is
randomly changing the settings on me.

I did and/or do not have this problem with Windows 3.1, '95, '98,
'98SE, 2K, XP Pro, Vista Home Premium x32 nor Vista Ultimate x32. I do
have this problem with Vista Home Premium x64. This is effecting only
Windows Explorer.

> As to your third subject/question
> > Second issue is that _network drives on a switched-off computer on my
> > LAN are still showing as present_

> Because that is some what off the Subject: of your post here, you may get
> better answers by starting a new post in the
> "microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing " news group about your
> "Second issue" network...

Noted.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

Tips for the Innocent Bystander: 45. If you're singled out as the
Chosen One, politely ask what it entails. If the job description
involves "Defeating the Darkness," and involves long years of danger
and struggle, you've just been made a Hero, and the person naming you
the Chosen One is your Mentor (or can direct you to your Mentor). If
the job of being the Chosen One involves being pampered by half-naked
temple virgins, it will end with you being sacrificed to the volcano,
and the person calling you the Chosen One is the Evil High Priest(ess)
who intends to perform the ceremony.
H Brown

Re: Windows Explorer in Vista HP/64
Hi Jeffrey
OK based on your experience using vista 32 bit versions its time for you to
give a blow by blow description of what you are trying to do, how you are
trying to it and what it is you want and expect the outcome to be.

news:8kvo05ta09gqlo735enrjeor0t4u9k6mj5@gordol.org ...

said:

> OK based on your experience using vista 32 bit versions its time for you to
> give a blow by blow description of what you are trying to do, how you are
> trying to it and what it is you want and expect the outcome to be.

This message has just arrived on my server, I have not been ignoring
you.

What I was expecting out of Windows Explorer in Vista x64 is that, like
in every version of Windows I've used before starting with when it was
called "File Manager" in Windows 3.1, it would not randomly reset the
view display settings when starting it.

I would start Windows Explorer and see that it was showing me my disk
contents as Tiles, or as Large Icons sorted by Name and grouped by
Type.

I would see that when I changed it to show the disk contents as
Details, sorted by Name and NOT grouped at all, and then select the
columns to show, followed by selecting Tools \ Folder Options \ View
and setting it to "Apply to folders" in order for my now currently set
view settings to propagate for EVERY FOLDER, that when I navigated to
another folder, or closed and re-opened Windows Explorer, that these
settings have been lost.

Further, I would notice that when opening Windows Explorer to a
directory containing photographs, instead of the Details I set (when I
changed it from Thumbnails to Details) (Name, Type, Size, Date,
Attributes) it would instead pick EXIF data to show me. Similarly when
opening a directory containing mp3 files, instead of the details I want
to see, it would show me ID3 data. Even after setting it to show me
the data that I want it to show me, save the settings, close the window
and come back to it.

As should be obvious, none of this is asking about how to change the
settings, I know how to change the settings. This is about a BUG IN
WINDOWS that is preventing it from remembering those settings despite
following the recommendations on how to change them and how to set them
to remain.

Over in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, "Brink" provided the
solution to someone else, see the thread "Vista 64 forgets folder
settings" by "Eddy".

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

"I don't want power. I just object to idiots having power over me."
(Cordelia Vorkosigan [Lois McMaster Bujold, "Barrayar"])