Desktop icons won't remember position

=?Utf-8?B?QmVuIFIu?=

Desktop icons won't remember position
Has anyone seen this? Every time I log off and back on (or hit refresh) my
desktop icons realphabetize themselves. If I change the sort criteria, it
will resort by that (size, for example). I haven't found any way to get it to
stop reordering my icons... This behavior seems unique to my one Vista
machine. Disabling auto arrange fixes it, but I want new icons to line up in
the next available spot.

Thanks...

-Ben
JerryM \(ID\)

Re: Desktop icons won't remember position
Does it still do this if you - Align to Grid.

"Ben R." <benr@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Has anyone seen this? Every time I log off and back on (or hit refresh) my
> desktop icons realphabetize themselves. If I change the sort criteria, it
> will resort by that (size, for example). I haven't found any way to get it
> stop reordering my icons... This behavior seems unique to my one Vista
> machine. Disabling auto arrange fixes it, but I want new icons to line up
> in
> the next available spot.
>
> Thanks...
>
> -Ben

=?Utf-8?B?QmVuIFIu?=

Re: Desktop icons won't remember position
I've tried disabling align to grid, but this doesn't seem to help. As long as
auto arrange is enabled, the problem occurs. (Having align to grid without
auto arrange, I don't see this problem). Could this be a quirk from having
performed an upgrade?

"JerryM (ID)" wrote:

> Does it still do this if you - Align to Grid.
>
> "Ben R." <benr@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> > Has anyone seen this? Every time I log off and back on (or hit refresh) my
> > desktop icons realphabetize themselves. If I change the sort criteria, it
> > will resort by that (size, for example). I haven't found any way to get it
> > stop reordering my icons... This behavior seems unique to my one Vista
> > machine. Disabling auto arrange fixes it, but I want new icons to line up
> > in
> > the next available spot.
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> > -Ben

JerryM \(ID\)

Re: Desktop icons won't remember position
As far back as I can remember, Auto Arrange has always reset my Icons.
I just have Align to Grid enabled and Auto arrange turned off.

Jerry

> I've tried disabling align to grid, but this doesn't seem to help. As long
> as
> auto arrange is enabled, the problem occurs. (Having align to grid without
> auto arrange, I don't see this problem). Could this be a quirk from having
> performed an upgrade?

<Snip>

=?Utf-8?B?QmVuIFIu?=

Re: Desktop icons won't remember position
That's strange. I'm on my XP machine now and confirmed that I have auto
arrange and align to grid both on, and refreshing does not resort or reorder
my icons. I went to a computer store yesterday and confirmed that I saw
similar behavior to this (no resorting on refresh / sign on) on a Vista
machine. Can anyone else confirm if they see the same thing when auto arrange
is enabled?

Thanks...

-Ben