How do I delete a damaged ocx?

Andrew

How do I delete a damaged ocx?
How do I delete a damaged ocx from downloaded program files?

If I select the file then click "organise", then "delete" nothing happens -
no messages, nothing. The control just stays there. Now that is really bad
programming - at least I should get an error message.

Going to the folder via a cmd window gives an "access is denied" error.

My account is set up as administrator but even as administrator there seems
to be no way at all of assigning permissions to this folder.

Running Vista Business Edition 32 bit.

TIA
Andrew

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: How do I delete a damaged ocx?
Andrew

From past experience ActiveX Controls can be very dangerous this is why that
folder is highly restricted. Because of this, the difficulty in changing the
attributes of that folder is by design.

However Microsoft has programmed a couple of ways to delete these files.

1. In Control Panel, open Internet Options/Programs Tab/Manage add-ons
Button. In the Show Menu, click the drop down and select "Downloaded ActiveX
Controls. In the list of controls, select the one you wish to delete and
click the Delete Button.

2. You can also delete all of the ActiveX controls by clearing that folder
using the Disk Cleanup Tool.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Andrew" <noway@forgetit.com> wrote in message
> How do I delete a damaged ocx from downloaded program files?
>
> If I select the file then click "organise", then "delete" nothing
> happens - no messages, nothing. The control just stays there. Now that is
> really bad programming - at least I should get an error message.
>
> Going to the folder via a cmd window gives an "access is denied" error.
>
> My account is set up as administrator but even as administrator there
> seems to be no way at all of assigning permissions to this folder.
>
> Running Vista Business Edition 32 bit.
>
> TIA
> Andrew

Andrew

Re: How do I delete a damaged ocx?
Using windows explorer doesn't work, and simply typing "cmd" into Start/Run
box or using shift/right click opens a command window without administrator
priviledges - even though I am an administrator. I wonder why Vista
programmers thought I would set up my account as administrator if I didn't
want to be an administrator?

Anyway I've found the workaround - others having trouble deleting files
might find it useful.

Open Start/Search and type "Command Prompt" into the search window. A
Command Prompt icon will display. Right click on it and select "Run as
administrator". Now you can delete those files.

Andrew

"Andrew" <noway@forgetit.com> wrote in message
> How do I delete a damaged ocx from downloaded program files?
>
> If I select the file then click "organise", then "delete" nothing
> happens - no messages, nothing. The control just stays there. Now that is
> really bad programming - at least I should get an error message.
>
> Going to the folder via a cmd window gives an "access is denied" error.
>
> My account is set up as administrator but even as administrator there
> seems to be no way at all of assigning permissions to this folder.
>
> Running Vista Business Edition 32 bit.
>
> TIA
> Andrew

Andrew

Re: How do I delete a damaged ocx?
Thanks - I am glad there is a sensible way to do it! My workaround already
did the trick though. :-)