Cannot move a folder that I am the owner of

jroyle

Cannot move a folder that I am the owner of

Hi, I am having a problem with moving folders from one to place to
another. I get a message saying "Destination Folder Access Denied" And
"You'll need to provide Administrator permission to move this folder"

I then get a popup stating "File Operation - Windows needs your
permission to continue" I give permission, as I am the administrator
and owner of the file and it does not allow me to move the folder!

I have gone into the security tab and I have full control over both
folders yet I still can't move the folder.

What on earth do I do now?

--
jroyle
Malke

Re: Cannot move a folder that I am the owner of
jroyle wrote:

> Hi, I am having a problem with moving folders from one to place to
> another. I get a message saying "Destination Folder Access Denied" And
> "You'll need to provide Administrator permission to move this folder"
>
> I then get a popup stating "File Operation - Windows needs your
> permission to continue" I give permission, as I am the administrator
> and owner of the file and it does not allow me to move the folder!
>
> I have gone into the security tab and I have full control over both
> folders yet I still can't move the folder.
>
> What on earth do I do now?

Start by telling us the name and full location of the folder you want to
move and the full location of to where you want to move it.

Ex. C:\Users\your-user-name\Miscellaneous to

E:\[another hard drive or partition in this example\

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

jroyle

Re: Cannot move a folder that I am the owner of

1st Folder (Containing Logos) - C:\Users\Jeff\Desktop
Target Folder (Containing all sorts of documents and sub folders.):
C:\Users\Jeff\Desktop

jroyle wrote:

> 1st Folder (Containing Logos) - C:\Users\Jeff\Desktop
> Target Folder (Containing all sorts of documents and sub folders.):
> C:\Users\Jeff\Desktop

I'm confused. From what you wrote above, you're not moving the folder to a
new location at all. Did you really mean:

move C:\Users\Jeff\Desktop\Logos [whatever] to
C:\Users\Jeff\Desktop\different-folder?

If that's correct, then there has definitely been a glitch somewhere.
Possibly some of the files have got the wrong ownership/permissions.

I think I'd try taking complete ownership of the "Logos" folder (or whatever
you've called it) and then right-click/drag it to the target folder.

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
3. Click Edit. If you are prompted for an administrator password or
confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to (this would be
Jeff)
5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this
folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box
(and you do want to do this).
6. Click OK

To be on the safe side, you might want to repeat those actions on the target
folder.

Let me know what happens.
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

jroyle

Re: Cannot move a folder that I am the owner of

Hi, apologies if I wasn't clear, but you seemed to have got the grasp of
my problem. I have gone into both folders and have taken ownership of
both of them. I still cannot move or copy my logo folder into my
company folder!

jroyle wrote:

> Hi, apologies if I wasn't clear, but you seemed to have got the grasp of
> my problem. I have gone into both folders and have taken ownership of
> both of them. I still cannot move or copy my logo folder into my
> company folder!

Very odd and hard to figure out without seeing the machine. A few other
questions:

1. Can you move any other folder into the Company folder?

2. Can you move the Logos folder into any other folder?

3. Can you create new folders on the Desktop?

4. If the answer to #3 is yes, can you move New Folder A into New Folder B
and vice versa?

5. What version of Vista do you have - Home Basic/Premium, Business/Ultimate

6. Is this a standalone machine (or member of a Workgroup) or a workstation
that is a member of a domain?

If you can't do #1, my next question is going to be what are the permissions
on the folders involved, so you might want to save us a post and include
the listing of who can do what, if necessary.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

jroyle

Re: Cannot move a folder that I am the owner of

Hi, Indeed, I can create new folders on my desktop and yes I can move my
logo folder to another folder on my desktop, just not my company folder,
which is weird. My machine is a standalone machine running Windows
Vista Home Premium. However, nothing will move into my company folder.

jroyle wrote:

> Hi, Indeed, I can create new folders on my desktop and yes I can move my
> logo folder to another folder on my desktop, just not my company folder,
> which is weird. My machine is a standalone machine running Windows
> Vista Home Premium. However, nothing will move into my company folder.

I know it's hard to believe, but we're getting somewhere. I have to believe
that the Company folder has weird permissions. Let's try something really
quick & dirty first:

Copy the contents of the Company folder to a USB thumb drive. Now delete the
Company folder. Reboot. Make a new Company folder. Can you move the Logos
folder into it now? If yes, copy the contents you saved back into the
Company folder. Can you move another folder into Company now?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

jroyle

Re: Cannot move a folder that I am the owner of

Hi, right I have followed your instructions and it has now worked!

Thank you very much for all your help and above all persistance.

I really appreciate your help, especially on a Friday.

jroyle wrote:

> Hi, right I have followed your instructions and it has now worked!
>
> Thank you very much for all your help and above all persistance.
>
> I really appreciate your help, especially on a Friday.

Fabulous! Sometimes it's easier to just cut to the chase instead of
endlessly troubleshooting something like this. I'm glad it all worked out
for you. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Malke