Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer

ute

Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer
Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer

Hello,

The DVD writer in my notebook became defective, hence I have to send it in
for repair.
They told me they will have to re-format the hard drive and install the
original software
to be able to check the replacement DVD writer.

So this is the reason why I will now buy an external hard drive and do my
first
'Back up your entire computer'. I read through the help information but
something is unclear:

Do I need to install Vista Ultimate before I can Restore the back up?
(I feel I will have to...)

What happens with that 'new' Vista Ultimate installation during/after the
restore procedure,
because the 'old' Vista Ultimate installation is also part of the back up?

Will it be overwritten?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Malke

Re: Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer
ute wrote:

> Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer
>
> Hello,
>
> The DVD writer in my notebook became defective, hence I have to send it in
> for repair.
> They told me they will have to re-format the hard drive and install the
> original software
> to be able to check the replacement DVD writer.
>
> So this is the reason why I will now buy an external hard drive and do my
> first
> 'Back up your entire computer'. I read through the help information but
> something is unclear:
>
> Do I need to install Vista Ultimate before I can Restore the back up?
> (I feel I will have to...)
>
> What happens with that 'new' Vista Ultimate installation during/after the
> restore procedure,
> because the 'old' Vista Ultimate installation is also part of the back up?
>
> Will it be overwritten?

I'll let someone else who is expert with Vista's backup & restore answer
questions about it. I'm just going to suggest that you use something I
consider better - an imaging program. I prefer Acronis True Image, but
there are other imaging programs out there. You install the imaging
program, make a bootable CD from within it*, image your drive and store the
image on the external hard drive. Then when you get the new drive, just
restore the image you made.

*If you buy an imaging program retail, the installation CD will usually act
as bootable media to do the restore. If you download the program and don't
have a physical installation CD, make the bootable CD.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

ute

Re: Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer
Thanks for your answer!

Though special imaging programs undoubtedly may have advances,
I hope I don't have to buy one. I decided to buy ULTIMATE just because
the 'Back up your entire computer' and the 'Fax' feature. Was much more
expensive than Home Premium.

I really hope ULTIMATE can do what I need...

ute wrote:

> Thanks for your answer!
>
> Though special imaging programs undoubtedly may have advances,
> I hope I don't have to buy one. I decided to buy ULTIMATE just because
> the 'Back up your entire computer' and the 'Fax' feature. Was much more
> expensive than Home Premium.
>
> I really hope ULTIMATE can do what I need...

Understood, although people whom I respect have said that they don't care
for the Vista backup program. If you don't get an answer here, then you
might want to look for a Vista backup newsgroup:

Good luck and sorry I wasn't able to help you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

ute

Re: Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer
Thanks. No such group found!
I think I wait a while, maybe someone else will answer...?

"Malke" wrote:
> Understood, although people whom I respect have said that they don't care
> for the Vista backup program. If you don't get an answer here, then you
> might want to look for a Vista backup newsgroup:
>
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups

Steve McGarrett

Re: Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer
On Thu, 7 May 2009 13:19:02 -0700, ute <ute@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thanks. No such group found!
>I think I wait a while, maybe someone else will answer...?

Vista backup absolutely sucks.

>"Malke" wrote:
>> Understood, although people whom I respect have said that they don't care
>> for the Vista backup program. If you don't get an answer here, then you
>> might want to look for a Vista backup newsgroup:
>>
>> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups

ute

Re: Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer
Thanks!

Anyone a second opinion?

"Steve McGarrett" wrote:
> >Thanks. No such group found!
> >I think I wait a while, maybe someone else will answer...?

> Vista backup absolutely sucks.

John E. Carty

Re: Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer
Vista backup positively sucks :-)

"ute" <ute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks!
>
> Anyone a second opinion?
>
> "Steve McGarrett" wrote:
>> >Thanks. No such group found!
>> >I think I wait a while, maybe someone else will answer...?

>> Vista backup absolutely sucks.

SIW2

ute;1038151 Wrote:
> Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer
>
> Hello,
>
> The DVD writer in my notebook became defective, hence I have to send it
> in
> for repair.
> They told me they will have to re-format the hard drive and install the
> original software
> to be able to check the replacement DVD writer.
>
> So this is the reason why I will now buy an external hard drive and do
> my
> first
> 'Back up your entire computer'. I read through the help information but
> something is unclear:
>
> Do I need to install Vista Ultimate before I can Restore the back up?
> (I feel I will have to...)
>
> What happens with that 'new' Vista Ultimate installation during/after
> the
> restore procedure,
> because the 'old' Vista Ultimate installation is also part of the back
> up?
>
> Will it be overwritten?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

You could use the free version of this - it is the smallest and fastest
you can get:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Run off the cd first - it prompts you to. Then use the program from
within windows to image your drive to the external one.

To restore the image, boot the cd, point it to where the image is
stored and restore it to the pc.

If you have enough time and space , you can use the Vista Backup
program to also store an image on the external hd - try to restore that
first if you like.

If Vista backup doesn't work - the Macrium one is there.

Restoring an image will wipe what is on the partition you restore it to
- replacing it with the contents of the imaged drive.

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
ute

Re: Vista Ultimate - Restore entire computer
Hi SIW2,

> Run off the cd first - it prompts you to.

I don't understand... What will prompt me?
After downloading Macrium I wouldn't have a CD!?

> If you have enough time and space , you can use
> the Vista Backup program...

Why would I need more time and space?
If I would use Vista Backup, would I have to boot from
the original Vista DVD later to be able to restore from my USB HD?

Thanks!