Trouble Saving DL Files

rllipham@earthlink.net

Trouble Saving DL Files
I am having trouble saving files from the internet. I can not even
install from files from the internet.

I do a save as, give a file name, the file downloads with a download
status bar displayed and then nothing. I try to search for the file
and it is not saved.

I have been using IE8, I installed firefox and find the same issue. I
had to put firefox on a pen drive from another PC to install.

Everything seems to work but saves no file.

Is there a magic setting that could be causing this?

I have a homebuild running Vista Home Premium with current updates.

I have XP on another drive in the PC that works fine. I swap between
the two OS using CMOS settings at boot. THE XP works fine
Dave

Re: Trouble Saving DL Files
*Where* are you trying to save these files?

You may be trying to save them to a junction point, like "My Documents".

--
Windows 7 beta
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

<rllipham@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I am having trouble saving files from the internet. I can not even
> install from files from the internet.
>
> I do a save as, give a file name, the file downloads with a download
> status bar displayed and then nothing. I try to search for the file
> and it is not saved.
>
> I have been using IE8, I installed firefox and find the same issue. I
> had to put firefox on a pen drive from another PC to install.
>
> Everything seems to work but saves no file.
>
> Is there a magic setting that could be causing this?
>
> I have a homebuild running Vista Home Premium with current updates.
>
> I have XP on another drive in the PC that works fine. I swap between
> the two OS using CMOS settings at boot. THE XP works fine

Gordon

Re: Trouble Saving DL Files

<rllipham@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I am having trouble saving files from the internet. I can not even
> install from files from the internet.
>
> I do a save as, give a file name, the file downloads with a download
> status bar displayed and then nothing. I try to search for the file
> and it is not saved.
>
> I have been using IE8, I installed firefox and find the same issue. I
> had to put firefox on a pen drive from another PC to install.
>
> Everything seems to work but saves no file.
>
> Is there a magic setting that could be causing this?
>
> I have a homebuild running Vista Home Premium with current updates.
>
> I have XP on another drive in the PC that works fine. I swap between
> the two OS using CMOS settings at boot. THE XP works fine

To add to what Dave said, why are you "giving the file a name"? Why not just
use the name that the file already has?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

rllipham@earthlink.net

Re: Trouble Saving DL Files
On Sun, 3 May 2009 08:15:14 +0100, "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com>
wrote:

><rllipham@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>news:qivpv4t1f7bpgmrlqgvmev5o7kjd3cbg5n@4ax.com.. .
>> I am having trouble saving files from the internet. I can not even
>> install from files from the internet.
>>
>> I do a save as, give a file name, the file downloads with a download
>> status bar displayed and then nothing. I try to search for the file
>> and it is not saved.
>>
>> I have been using IE8, I installed firefox and find the same issue. I
>> had to put firefox on a pen drive from another PC to install.
>>
>> Everything seems to work but saves no file.
>>
>> Is there a magic setting that could be causing this?
>>
>> I have a homebuild running Vista Home Premium with current updates.
>>
>> I have XP on another drive in the PC that works fine. I swap between
>> the two OS using CMOS settings at boot. THE XP works fine

>To add to what Dave said, why are you "giving the file a name"? Why not just
>use the name that the file already has?

I just use the default or given name. I do not change it.
rllipham@earthlink.net

Re: Trouble Saving DL Files
On Sun, 03 May 2009 11:08:08 -0400, rllipham@earthlink.net wrote:

>On Sun, 3 May 2009 08:15:14 +0100, "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>><rllipham@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>news:qivpv4t1f7bpgmrlqgvmev5o7kjd3cbg5n@4ax.com. ..
>>> I am having trouble saving files from the internet. I can not even
>>> install from files from the internet.
>>>
>>> I do a save as, give a file name, the file downloads with a download
>>> status bar displayed and then nothing. I try to search for the file
>>> and it is not saved.
>>>
>>> I have been using IE8, I installed firefox and find the same issue. I
>>> had to put firefox on a pen drive from another PC to install.
>>>
>>> Everything seems to work but saves no file.
>>>
>>> Is there a magic setting that could be causing this?
>>>
>>> I have a homebuild running Vista Home Premium with current updates.
>>>
>>> I have XP on another drive in the PC that works fine. I swap between
>>> the two OS using CMOS settings at boot. THE XP works fine

>>To add to what Dave said, why are you "giving the file a name"? Why not just
>>use the name that the file already has?

>I just use the default or given name. I do not change it.

I have tried it both ways.
R. C. White

Re: Trouble Saving DL Files
Hi, rllipham.

Try to download the same file again. This time, note carefully not only the
name that the file will be saved as, but the full PATHNAME of WHERE IE plans
to save it. Then, either go ahead and download the file again, or cancel
the new download. And then look for your file in the pathname that you saw.

Or, if you know the name of the file you saved, open a Command Prompt
(CMD.exe) and use the old Dir command (from the days when Folders were
Directories). At the command prompt, enter:
Dir c:\<filename> /s /a

The C:\ will start you in the Root of Drive C:. In the <filename>, you can
use the "?" and "*" wildcards, as usual. The /a switch will show you All
files, even those with Hidden attributes. And the /s switch will show files
in all subdirectories. In other words, if there is a file by that name
anywhere on Drive C:, this command will show it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> On Sun, 3 May 2009 08:15:14 +0100, "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>><rllipham@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>news:qivpv4t1f7bpgmrlqgvmev5o7kjd3cbg5n@4ax.com. ..
>>> I am having trouble saving files from the internet. I can not even
>>> install from files from the internet.
>>>
>>> I do a save as, give a file name, the file downloads with a download
>>> status bar displayed and then nothing. I try to search for the file
>>> and it is not saved.
>>>
>>> I have been using IE8, I installed firefox and find the same issue. I
>>> had to put firefox on a pen drive from another PC to install.
>>>
>>> Everything seems to work but saves no file.
>>>
>>> Is there a magic setting that could be causing this?
>>>
>>> I have a homebuild running Vista Home Premium with current updates.
>>>
>>> I have XP on another drive in the PC that works fine. I swap between
>>> the two OS using CMOS settings at boot. THE XP works fine

>>To add to what Dave said, why are you "giving the file a name"? Why not
>>just
>>use the name that the file already has?

> I just use the default or given name. I do not change it.

Steve McGarrett

Re: Trouble Saving DL Files
On Sun, 3 May 2009 21:41:03 -0500, "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net>
wrote:

>Hi, rllipham.
>
>Try to download the same file again. This time, note carefully not only the
>name that the file will be saved as, but the full PATHNAME of WHERE IE plans
>to save it. Then, either go ahead and download the file again, or cancel
>the new download. And then look for your file in the pathname that you saw.
>
>Or, if you know the name of the file you saved, open a Command Prompt
>(CMD.exe) and use the old Dir command (from the days when Folders were
>Directories). At the command prompt, enter:
>Dir c:\<filename> /s /a

OR... download Agent Ransack, and use that to find the file.

Free, very simple and easy to use search utility.
Bob

Re: Trouble Saving DL Files
Create a new folder on your Desktop and save the files to the new folder.

As someone else mentioned, there is no need to give the file a name. Just
use the default name.