How to get the Vista Search to find something?

Sults

How to get the Vista Search to find something?
I have noticed several times, that search under Vista is not functioning
properly.
For instance, searching all hard drives for *.jpg files did not found any
pictures from Users/username/Pictures folder. The search itself has limited
functionality: it is not possible to search files created from date to date,
I can not find any options how to set search pane to be always with advanced
search options, etc.
Why Microsoft releases such crap? New versions are supposed to be better
than older ones, but Vista has several degraded functions compared to XP.
Dave T.

Re: How to get the Vista Search to find something?
Sults wrote:
> I have noticed several times, that search under Vista is not functioning
> properly.
> For instance, searching all hard drives for *.jpg files did not found any
> pictures from Users/username/Pictures folder. The search itself has limited
> functionality: it is not possible to search files created from date to date,
> I can not find any options how to set search pane to be always with advanced
> search options, etc.
> Why Microsoft releases such crap? New versions are supposed to be better
> than older ones, but Vista has several degraded functions compared to XP.

Please do your homework. If you decide to go rattlesnake hunting, first
get a book about snakes.

Try this snake book, for starters; >

First, don't bother with the search box in the start menu, unless you
are looking for a system file or program file.

On your keyboard press windows start + F. On the tool bar you will click
what type of file you are looking for, e.g. "pictures". On the same tool
bar you will click the down arrow to give you advanced options where you
will make use of the proper syntax that you studied in the snake book.

I have found that Vista search is superior to XP search in great
measure, once I admitted to myself that the two are not the same. It is
new, and therefore it is different.

Dave T.
Sults

Re: How to get the Vista Search to find something?
My english is maybe too poor for you to understand, but your suggestion to do
my homework is pretty useless.
1. For some strange reason Vista Search does not find any files from
users/.../pictures folder if I search all my local hard drives. I can not
understand how your suggestion would help there?

2. I want, that every time when I start searching some files,
I know the (Microsoft key+F) trick, but I can not undestand why I should
always press advanced button before I have reasonable form where I can set
multiple search criteria? It would be much better, if one could set advanced
search form to be default search form. I understand, that Microsoft tries to
adapt their software to morons and is trying to simplfy everything, but why
those who are not morons and can use some more advanced functions should
suffer? Ok, I accept if I get some simplified form with no advanced functions
when I run it first time. But if I switch to advanced search, then why it
switches back to the morons interface again, when I run the search next time?

3. I have millions of files on my hard disks. I often remember about when I
created the file that I am searching for. But usually no more specific
information about the file. It would be nice if I could set serch from and to
dates or even exact date. But I can not.

XP search is definitely superior and Vistas crap is barely usable.
Especially because the first reason.

"Dave T." wrote:

> Sults wrote:
> > I have noticed several times, that search under Vista is not functioning
> > properly.
> > For instance, searching all hard drives for *.jpg files did not found any
> > pictures from Users/username/Pictures folder. The search itself has limited
> > functionality: it is not possible to search files created from date to date,
> > I can not find any options how to set search pane to be always with advanced
> > search options, etc.
> > Why Microsoft releases such crap? New versions are supposed to be better
> > than older ones, but Vista has several degraded functions compared to XP.

> Please do your homework. If you decide to go rattlesnake hunting, first
> get a book about snakes.
>
> Try this snake book, for starters; >
>

> First, don't bother with the search box in the start menu, unless you
> are looking for a system file or program file.
>
> On your keyboard press windows start + F. On the tool bar you will click
> what type of file you are looking for, e.g. "pictures". On the same tool
> bar you will click the down arrow to give you advanced options where you
> will make use of the proper syntax that you studied in the snake book.
>
> I have found that Vista search is superior to XP search in great
> measure, once I admitted to myself that the two are not the same. It is
> new, and therefore it is different.
>
> Dave T.

Retroman

Re: Re: How to get the Vista Search to find something?
On Fri, 1 May 2009 12:08:01 -0700, Sults <eesnimi.perenimi@mail.ee> wrote:

>2. I want, that every time when I start searching some files,
>I know the (Microsoft key+F) trick, but I can not undestand why I should
>always press advanced button before I have reasonable form where I can set
>multiple search criteria?

You don't have to use Advanced at all! You can type or paste multiple
criteria in any search window. The new search syntax allows both simple
and very complex queries, which can be saved for reuse if needed via a
tool bar button in Explorer.

>3. I have millions of files on my hard disks. I often remember about when I
>created the file that I am searching for. But usually no more specific
>information about the file. It would be nice if I could set serch from and to
>dates or even exact date. But I can not.

Of course you can do that, and much more, once you learn the syntax. For
example, this query:

created:12/01/08 .. 01/01/09

will return files created in December, 2008 (assuming that your Windows
short date format follows the mm/dd/yy format).

Dave T has given you excellent advice, please take it. Here's another
reference page on creating queries:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../advquery.mspx

Doug M. in NJ

Sults

"Retroman" wrote:
> You don't have to use Advanced at all! You can type or paste multiple
> criteria in any search window. The new search syntax allows both simple
> and very complex queries, which can be saved for reuse if needed via a
> tool bar button in Explorer.
>
> >3. I have millions of files on my hard disks. I often remember about when I
> >created the file that I am searching for. But usually no more specific
> >information about the file. It would be nice if I could set serch from and to
> >dates or even exact date. But I can not.

> Of course you can do that, and much more, once you learn the syntax. For
> example, this query:
>
> created:12/01/08 .. 01/01/09
>
> will return files created in December, 2008 (assuming that your Windows
> short date format follows the mm/dd/yy format).
>
> Dave T has given you excellent advice, please take it. Here's another
> reference page on creating queries:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../advquery.mspx
>
> Doug M. in NJ

Ok, I see!
I have to learn some syntax and if I have very careful and do not do any
mistakes (I wonder if German date format, like 20.12.98 .. 31.01.09, is
allowed?) , then maybe the Search finds some results for me even without
entering advanced mode. But if it does not search every folder even if all
hard driver are listed as target, then it is still waste of time to use it. I
found, that search does not search Users\..\Pictures\ folder. I have not
found any explanation why it behaves thi way. Is there some documentation
explaining what folders are not supposed to be searched using Vistas Search?
Retroman

Re: Re: Re: How to get the Vista Search to find something?
On Fri, 1 May 2009 13:55:01 -0700, Sults <eesnimi.perenimi@mail.ee> wrote:

>Ok, I see!
>I have to learn some syntax and if I have very careful and do not do any
>mistakes (I wonder if German date format, like 20.12.98 .. 31.01.09, is
>allowed?) , then maybe the Search finds some results for me even without
>entering advanced mode. But if it does not search every folder even if all
>hard driver are listed as target, then it is still waste of time to use it. I
>found, that search does not search Users\..\Pictures\ folder. I have not
>found any explanation why it behaves thi way. Is there some documentation
>explaining what folders are not supposed to be searched using Vistas Search?

You have full control over what folders are indexed. Use the Indexed
Locations dialog, reached via the Modify button on the Indexing Options
dialog (from Control Panel). After clicking the button, click the
Advanced button to see the folder selection tree.

Of course, you can search non-indexed folders at any time by choosing the
"include non-indexed, hidden, and system files" option, but that is slow
if there are many files.

One other tip: if files that you know exist in an indexed folder do not
show in results, they may be marked "hidden" or "system". An indexed
search will never return files with these attributes, and you may be
surprised at how many ordinary files are so marked (or mismarked). Either
remove the offending attributes or do a non-indexed search to find such
files. Of course, even then the files will only appear in search results
if Win Explorer has been told to "show hidden and system files".

As for date formats in queries, I believe that you can use whatever format
Windows shows for short dates in your Regional & Language Options settings
in Control Panel. However, I have not tried the format that you
mentioned.

Good luck!

Doug M. in NJ
TheJudge

Re: How to get the Vista Search to find something?

OK, let me say that I too can't see how I can make the search function
search files in my folders, I just couldn't find zip; well that is b4 I
discovered I had to checkmark the *hidden* item "also searsch in
non-indexed ...".

Now that's typical Microsoft.

Normally because it uses some resources it is recommended in my many
forums to switch the auto-indexing off. I did this already a long time
ago, and am aware I would take the disadvantage of a slow search for
granted. This simply means after a while you will rarely any files if
you do a search and if by chance you didn't checkmark the abovementioned
item.

But why if you do a search and you haven't checmarked to also search
for non-indexed items does the normal search in indexed items not
continue the search in non-indexed items ?

--
TheJudge
TheJudge

Retroman;1033229 Wrote:
> [...]

continue the search in non-indexed items ?

--
TheJudge
Dave T.

Re: How to get the Vista Search to find something?

>> Ok, I see!
>> I have to learn some syntax and if I have very careful and do not do any
>> mistakes (I wonder if German date format, like 20.12.98 .. 31.01.09, is
>> allowed?) , then maybe the Search finds some results for me even without
>> entering advanced mode. But if it does not search every folder even if all
>> hard driver are listed as target, then it is still waste of time to use it. I
>> found, that search does not search Users\..\Pictures\ folder. I have not
>> found any explanation why it behaves thi way. Is there some documentation
>> explaining what folders are not supposed to be searched using Vistas Search?

Your question about the date format is answered in one of the links
already served to you which you haven't read, namely

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../advquery.mspx

Here is what I surmise that MS was thinking when they devised Vista Search;

In XP, if you enter a search syntax and tell it to search for all
instances of a query, it would search the entire computer which would
very often take a very long time. In Vista, they have indexed the
system, or much of it. You can find out what is indexed, as you have
already been advised, by looking at Indexing Options in the control
panel. Anything that is not indexed can be added to the index, but keep
in mind that if you index the whole computer, then you have created more
very long searches because the index becomes quite large.

When I am going to search for a file that I created, such as a picture,
the quick search without bothering with advanced syntax is to go to the
Documents folder and use the search box there. The idea is that a search
box in a folder searches only that folder, and sub-folders, making it
quite quick. The search box in the start menu searches the indexed
locations only. As Doug M. said, you can plug advanced syntax in the
regular search box, if you take the trouble to learn it. I tag most
documents I create, which makes it really easy to find what I'm looking
for. Best advice? Take the time to learn Vista search. It really is
better that XP, IMHO.

Dave T.
Sults

"Dave T." wrote:

> Your question about the date format is answered in one of the links
> already served to you which you haven't read, namely
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../advquery.mspx
>
> Here is what I surmise that MS was thinking when they devised Vista Search;
>
> In XP, if you enter a search syntax and tell it to search for all
> instances of a query, it would search the entire computer which would
> very often take a very long time. In Vista, they have indexed the
> system, or much of it. You can find out what is indexed, as you have
> already been advised, by looking at Indexing Options in the control
> panel. Anything that is not indexed can be added to the index, but keep
> in mind that if you index the whole computer, then you have created more
> very long searches because the index becomes quite large.
>
> When I am going to search for a file that I created, such as a picture,
> the quick search without bothering with advanced syntax is to go to the
> Documents folder and use the search box there. The idea is that a search
> box in a folder searches only that folder, and sub-folders, making it
> quite quick. The search box in the start menu searches the indexed
> locations only. As Doug M. said, you can plug advanced syntax in the
> regular search box, if you take the trouble to learn it. I tag most
> documents I create, which makes it really easy to find what I'm looking
> for. Best advice? Take the time to learn Vista search. It really is
> better that XP, IMHO.
>
> Dave T.

I have switched completely off indexing since the very beginning of using
Vista.
I have the "Search the non indexed... , and might be slow" checkbox checked.
But the search does not find my pictures from users\..\pictures folders.
Maybe it will find those files if I set searching folder to the
users\..\pictures, but then, what is the point of searching if I already know
where my filea are?
I have found, that the pictures folder is not the only exeption for the
search. Every now and then I meet the problem, that Vistas Search does not
find some files that I know for sure are located somewhere in my system.
Usually I set "Search all local hard drives" on. But this would not help.