How to create Comments property for various file types?

Axel07

How to create Comments property for various file types?
I find it useful to type a value into the Comments field within the property
sheet for MS Word files and configure my Windows Explorer folder view to
display this Comments field. I can do this for some files, including MS
Office files and JPGs, but not for others such as TXT and AVI.

Is it possible to customize Vista so that other file types can have custom
Comments fields attached to them which would be displayable in Windows
Explorer?

Are there third-party programs that would make this possible?

Donald Lessau

Re: How to create Comments property for various file types?
"Axel07" <Axel07@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Are there third-party programs that would make this possible?

Yep, XYplorer file manager has its own comment column and handling.

http://www.xyplorer.com/release_7.90.htm#0100

Don

mazorj

Re: How to create Comments property for various file types?
For many, many years I've been using PowerDesk as my file manager. It
lacks a few Explorer convenience features but has many not found in
Explorer and works on XP and Vista. One of these is a column labeled
Notes where you create your own comments. It works on any file type.
There also is a File Information column that displays the first line
of text on on most file types that you create if they have an
identifiable first line of text. It even has a contents display pane
that works with most formats so you can see what's in the file without
opening it, and plays audio files without having to fire up another
player.

Of course, you have to be in PowerDesk to access this information (it
won't show in Explorer) but since PD is my primary file manager, it
works for me. See

http://www.avanquest.com/USA/pc-util...esk_Pro_7.html

(If you use PD, the create/edit Notes function is in the Files
drop-down menu and a small icon in the PD toolbar. You'll also want
to configure your desktop link's properties so that it runs with
Administrator privileges, or use Run as Administrator if you activate
it from the Start menu.)