Can't copy or move files. Explorer stops responding.

=?Utf-8?B?RFFT?=

Can't copy or move files. Explorer stops responding.
Suddenly found that when I tried to move files or folders from one drive to
another in Vista that explorer would stop responding then restart - without
the move being carried out. I have reluctantly turned off User Account
Control and after restart of the PC can now move files and folders. Any
ideas what the original problem could be would be appreciated.
J M Vincent

RE: Can't copy or move files. Explorer stops responding.
I have the same problem. Its seems to me that you would have had a reply from
microsoft with a solution by now. Disappointing.

"DQS" wrote:

> Suddenly found that when I tried to move files or folders from one drive to
> another in Vista that explorer would stop responding then restart - without
> the move being carried out. I have reluctantly turned off User Account
> Control and after restart of the PC can now move files and folders. Any
> ideas what the original problem could be would be appreciated.

DQS

RE: Can't copy or move files. Explorer stops responding.
I have since completely reformatted my drives and set up a dual boot with XP
on the first partition of my IDE drive and Vista on the second partition. I
have also given the computer a different name in Vista to that used in XP
after some strange messages in the previous installation about another
computer with the same name on the network (I used the same name for the
computer in XP and Vista).
selection of system to use was done by selecting which drive to boot from
using the BIOS settings.
Now using "normal" dual boot method and so far so good.
Hope this helps

"J M Vincent" wrote:

> I have the same problem. Its seems to me that you would have had a reply from
> microsoft with a solution by now. Disappointing.
>
> "DQS" wrote:
>
> > Suddenly found that when I tried to move files or folders from one drive to
> > another in Vista that explorer would stop responding then restart - without
> > the move being carried out. I have reluctantly turned off User Account
> > Control and after restart of the PC can now move files and folders. Any
> > ideas what the original problem could be would be appreciated.

Burkhardt

RE: Can't copy or move files. Explorer stops responding.
I have the same problem, especially working with Netdrives. Everytime I copy
or move a file from a netdrive to my own harddisk the explorer "stops
working". Surprisingly everything works fine if I copy the file first on my
desktop and then into the respective folder.

Unfortunately I can't install a dual boot on my laptop. I really consider to
throw away my Vista business and do a roll back on XP.

Would like to hear from anyone who found a solution for this explorer problem.

"DQS" wrote:

> I have since completely reformatted my drives and set up a dual boot with XP
> on the first partition of my IDE drive and Vista on the second partition. I
> have also given the computer a different name in Vista to that used in XP
> after some strange messages in the previous installation about another
> computer with the same name on the network (I used the same name for the
> computer in XP and Vista).
> selection of system to use was done by selecting which drive to boot from
> using the BIOS settings.
> Now using "normal" dual boot method and so far so good.
> Hope this helps
>
> "J M Vincent" wrote:
>
> > I have the same problem. Its seems to me that you would have had a reply from
> > microsoft with a solution by now. Disappointing.
> >
> > "DQS" wrote:
> >
> > > Suddenly found that when I tried to move files or folders from one drive to
> > > another in Vista that explorer would stop responding then restart - without
> > > the move being carried out. I have reluctantly turned off User Account
> > > Control and after restart of the PC can now move files and folders. Any
> > > ideas what the original problem could be would be appreciated.

Neil Harley

Burkhardt wrote:
> I have the same problem, especially working with Netdrives. Everytime I copy
> or move a file from a netdrive to my own harddisk the explorer "stops
> working". Surprisingly everything works fine if I copy the file first on my
> desktop and then into the respective folder.
>
> Unfortunately I can't install a dual boot on my laptop. I really consider to
> throw away my Vista business and do a roll back on XP.
>
> Would like to hear from anyone who found a solution for this explorer problem.

Burkhardt
I had similar issues copying to and from a 2003 server so I altered some
settings on my NIC which appears to have resolved it for me.

If you do change any of the settings I have you might want to make a
note of their default settings first in case you need to reset them.

1. Network and Sharing Centre
2. Manage Network Connections
3. Right click your NIC and select Properties
4. Click on the Configure button
5. Uncheck or Disable all 'Large Send Offload' and 'TCP Checksum
Offload' and 'IP Checksum Offload' settings.
6. Click 'Okay'

You might need to go back from step 3 and uncheck IPv6

After doing those steps I haven't had any problems copying files from
and to the server using an on-board NIC on an MSI K9 Neo.