how to open a cmd prompt?

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hbmRh?=

how to open a cmd prompt?
A while back on this forum I found out how to delete some troublesome files
by using a command prompt. The large files were making explorer hang, and use
100% CPU. The forum told me to find the folder and right click on it, and
choose open command prompt from the context menu. Then I could use DOS style
commands. That worked beautifully for my purpose, but today when I tried it
again, the command prompt option does not show up when I right click. Long
story, but how do I find the command prompt in Windows Vista Ultimate?
Thanks
Amanda
--
Amanda B
dean-dean

Re: how to open a cmd prompt?
Select the folder, hold down the shift key, right-click.

"Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A while back on this forum I found out how to delete some troublesome files
> by using a command prompt. The large files were making explorer hang, and
> use
> 100% CPU. The forum told me to find the folder and right click on it, and
> choose open command prompt from the context menu. Then I could use DOS
> style
> commands. That worked beautifully for my purpose, but today when I tried
> it
> again, the command prompt option does not show up when I right click. Long
> story, but how do I find the command prompt in Windows Vista Ultimate?
> Thanks
> Amanda
> --
> Amanda B

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hbmRh?=

RE: how to open a cmd prompt?
Well, this is sort of a "never mind...."
I found another way to open the command prompt. (But I still don't know why
it did not show up on the right click. )
Since I discovered this forum, I have been SO happy, I have found so many
helpful answers. Ususally I find the "help" inside Windows to be confusing &
incomplete, so now that I can post my questions here or seach for similar
problems, I sometimes forget to check help on my own system!
Thanks anyway! But if you have any thoughts on why the right click menu
didn't work, please let me know.
Amanda
--
Amanda B

"Amanda" wrote:

> A while back on this forum I found out how to delete some troublesome files
> by using a command prompt. The large files were making explorer hang, and use
> 100% CPU. The forum told me to find the folder and right click on it, and
> choose open command prompt from the context menu. Then I could use DOS style
> commands. That worked beautifully for my purpose, but today when I tried it
> again, the command prompt option does not show up when I right click. Long
> story, but how do I find the command prompt in Windows Vista Ultimate?
> Thanks
> Amanda
> --
> Amanda B

Daniel Noll

Re: how to open a cmd prompt?
dean-dean wrote:
> Select the folder, hold down the shift key, right-click.

Actually you don't need to select the folder, just hold shift and
right-click. Or select the folder, hold shift and press menu, for
people who are on the keyboard at the time and don't feel it's worth
wasting time moving back to the mouse.

Daniel

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hbmRh?=

Re: how to open a cmd prompt?
Good grief, I had forgotten the Shift key! Thanks! (So simple, when you know,
isn't it?)
--
Amanda B

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Select the folder, hold down the shift key, right-click.
>
> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A while back on this forum I found out how to delete some troublesome files
> > by using a command prompt. The large files were making explorer hang, and
> > use
> > 100% CPU. The forum told me to find the folder and right click on it, and
> > choose open command prompt from the context menu. Then I could use DOS
> > style
> > commands. That worked beautifully for my purpose, but today when I tried
> > it
> > again, the command prompt option does not show up when I right click. Long
> > story, but how do I find the command prompt in Windows Vista Ultimate?
> > Thanks
> > Amanda
> > --
> > Amanda B

R. C. White, MVP

Re: how to open a cmd prompt?
Hi, Amanda.

As an old fogy who started using PCs when they were still called
microcomputers (in 1977), I still find the Command Prompt useful many times
every day. Lots of jobs are still done better and faster the old-fashioned
way. So I have several ways to get to what I often still call a "DOS"
window (with "DOS" in quotes to remind me that it's not really MS-DOS, but a
program that looks and acts a lot like it).

1. Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt. Or right-click
Command Prompt, then click Run as Administrator from the drop-down menu.

2. Enter cmd.exe - or just cmd - in the Run or Search box. (Win+R is one
way to open the Run box.)

3. Pin Command Prompt to the Start menu.

4. Add Command Prompt to Quick Launch.

5. Create a Shortcut for Command Prompt on the Desktop.

6. Shift+Right-click - I didn't even know about this one! Thanks!

Whichever method you choose, you can use Properties to customize it to fit
YOU. You can set colors, size of the window, font, etc. And you can set it
to always Run as Administrator; once you are in this window, almost any
program you start will run elevated, without the UAC prompt.

I'm sure there are still other ways to open a Command Prompt. Explore!
Enjoy! ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA