Cannot delete filenames/paths too long!!

Firecracker

Cannot delete filenames/paths too long!!

Hi! Please can someone help me? I do not know how this happened, but I
have some folders on my pc that have repeatedly copied themselves over
and over again, nested one inside the other.. I cannot delete any of
them as I get an error that the filenames and file paths are too long..

I have tried to delete the folder from cmd using rmdir /s but I get the
same error message..

I thought to try to map the folders to a different path using SUBST,
but I can't seem to map to any folder (not just the problem ones) When I
use SUBST X with the file path, it just creates a virtual drive X but
not with any folders in it.. not sure if I am doing something wrong with
that..

I have tried renaming each folder to "1" to make the name as short as
possible.. but they are still too long.. also when I get to the last 3
or 4 the possibility to rename is not available either. These folders
are packed full of stuff and this is really slowing down the pc..

i really really need to get rid of them.. any suggestions please?

Thank you!!!

--
Firecracker

Re: Cannot delete filenames/paths too long!!
Using \\?\ to prefix filenames

\\?\c:\path\filename

bypasses filename length checks in cmd. Lengths of the total path can be
32k long.

eg:
del \\?\c:\path\path\path\path\path\path\path\path\pat h\path\filename

"Firecracker" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi! Please can someone help me? I do not know how this happened, but I
> have some folders on my pc that have repeatedly copied themselves over
> and over again, nested one inside the other.. I cannot delete any of
> them as I get an error that the filenames and file paths are too long..
>
> I have tried to delete the folder from cmd using rmdir /s but I get the
> same error message..
>
> I thought to try to map the folders to a different path using SUBST,
> but I can't seem to map to any folder (not just the problem ones) When I
> use SUBST X with the file path, it just creates a virtual drive X but
> not with any folders in it.. not sure if I am doing something wrong with
> that..
>
> I have tried renaming each folder to "1" to make the name as short as
> possible.. but they are still too long.. also when I get to the last 3
> or 4 the possibility to rename is not available either. These folders
> are packed full of stuff and this is really slowing down the pc..
>
> i really really need to get rid of them.. any suggestions please?
>
> Thank you!!!
>

> --
> Firecracker

Re: Cannot delete filenames/paths too long!!
But I'd run chkdsk. There is a type of disk error that sounds like what you
have.

"Firecracker" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi! Please can someone help me? I do not know how this happened, but I
> have some folders on my pc that have repeatedly copied themselves over
> and over again, nested one inside the other.. I cannot delete any of
> them as I get an error that the filenames and file paths are too long..
>
> I have tried to delete the folder from cmd using rmdir /s but I get the
> same error message..
>
> I thought to try to map the folders to a different path using SUBST,
> but I can't seem to map to any folder (not just the problem ones) When I
> use SUBST X with the file path, it just creates a virtual drive X but
> not with any folders in it.. not sure if I am doing something wrong with
> that..
>
> I have tried renaming each folder to "1" to make the name as short as
> possible.. but they are still too long.. also when I get to the last 3
> or 4 the possibility to rename is not available either. These folders
> are packed full of stuff and this is really slowing down the pc..
>
> i really really need to get rid of them.. any suggestions please?
>
> Thank you!!!
>

> --
> Firecracker

Firecracker

Re: Cannot delete filenames/paths too long!!

Thank you! This is on my home pc, and I am currently at work, but will
try out both of these ideas when I get home and let you know how I get
on..

--
Firecracker
Firecracker

Re: Cannot delete filenames/paths too long!!

Hi! I am trying to use the "del \\?\" idea but does that only work for
an actual file? The reason I ask is that one of my corrupt folders I
have renamed to "1" and it sits in C\Test so I tried "del \\?\
c:\Test\1\" it asked me if I was sure, so I pressed Y but nothing
happened...

Also, I tried to run chkdsk from cmd but it said I didn't have the
privileges so I have scheduled it to run the next time it boots up..

--
Firecracker

Re: Cannot delete filenames/paths too long!!
You issued the command correctly. \\?\ isn't a fix all but a way to use
32,000 character long filenames. Programs that want to exceed the normal 260
character limit, and not be compatable withother window filenames, prefix
//?/ to the filename.

See what chkdsk does.

> Hi! I am trying to use the "del \\?\" idea but does that only work for
> an actual file? The reason I ask is that one of my corrupt folders I
> have renamed to "1" and it sits in C\Test so I tried "del \\?\
> c:\Test\1\" it asked me if I was sure, so I pressed Y but nothing
> happened...
>
> Also, I tried to run chkdsk from cmd but it said I didn't have the
> privileges so I have scheduled it to run the next time it boots up..
>

> --
> Firecracker

Firecracker

Re: Cannot delete filenames/paths too long!!

Chkdsk didn't reveal anything but I have solved the problem now!!! I was
looking around and found this bit of free software for download:
DelinvFile version 3.03.. from 'DelinvFile - Utility for Deleting
Invalid Files and Folders' (http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/) i am always
v wary of downloading any exe files but this one seemed to be for sale,
so i hoped it would be ok and i downloaded it on a 15 day free trial...
I just directed it to the folders I wanted to delete and it deleted them
by using the DELETE FILE VIA UNC mode. The Delete via Shortname mode
failed.. I had to leave it working overnight, i thought it was crashing,
but when i woke up the next day the pc had logged itself off and when i
logged in again the folders were gone!!!!!! i have 13 days left
on the trial so might see if there is anything else corrupt on the pc i
need to remove too!

Thank you for all your help!

--
Firecracker