The column bar containing Name, Date Modified, Size does not appear in many folders

evfu

The column bar containing Name, Date Modified, Size does not appear in many folders

The column bar which shows Name, Date Modified, Size etc. and allows to
increase or remove columns for other items like duration etc. does not
appear in many folders. I tried to reset to default, apply to all
folders when it does appear but nothing seems to help. How do I get the
same back. I cannot change the width of the column to display the full
name by double clicking on the edge of the name or sort on size or date
modified etc. due to this.
Any help will be appreciated.

--
evfu
Brink

Re: The column bar containing Name, Date Modified, Size does not appear in many folders

Hello Evfu,

Applying METHOD TWO in the tutorial below will reset the folder view
settings and should fix this for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

evfu;1019336 Wrote:
> The column bar which shows Name, Date Modified, Size etc. and allows to
> increase or remove columns for other items like duration etc. does not
> appear in many folders. I tried to reset to default, apply to all
> folders when it does appear but nothing seems to help. How do I get the
> same back. I cannot change the width of the column to display the full
> name by double clicking on the edge of the name or sort on size or date
> modified etc. due to this.
> Any help will be appreciated.

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
evfu

Re: The column bar containing Name, Date Modified, Size does not appear in many folders

Hi Shawn,

I appreciate your help but unfortunately it has not worked. I have
attached a screen image to show what is happening.

When I click on My Computer, I see C and D drive and also the columns
Name, Type, Total Size and Free Space (see attachment
VistaFolderViewCorrect.jpg). When I click on D drive, it shows me the
contents without the above (see attachment VistaFolderViewWrong.jpg).

This is very frustrating as I cannot see full name and I have no way of
double clicking the edge of Name column to display full name (as the
column headers do not display at all).

What else could be wrong.

Thanks in advance

Evfu
Brink;1019376 Wrote:
> Hello Evfu,
>
> Applying METHOD TWO in the tutorial below will reset the folder view
> settings and should fix this for you.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
> > evfu;1019336 Wrote:
> > The column bar which shows Name, Date Modified, Size etc. and allows to
> > increase or remove columns for other items like duration etc. does not
> > appear in many folders. I tried to reset to default, apply to all
> > folders when it does appear but nothing seems to help. How do I get the
> > same back. I cannot change the width of the column to display the full
> > name by double clicking on the edge of the name or sort on size or date
> > modified etc. due to this.
> > Any help will be appreciated.> >

|Filename: VistaFolderViewWrong.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11812|

evfu
Brink

Re: The column bar containing Name, Date Modified, Size does not appear in many folders

Evfu,

Are you able to change the folder template to details for that drive?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/77...templates.html

evfu;1019797 Wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
>
> I appreciate your help but unfortunately it has not worked. I have
> attached a screen image to show what is happening.
>
> When I click on My Computer, I see C and D drive and also the columns
> Name, Type, Total Size and Free Space (see attachment
> VistaFolderViewCorrect.jpg). When I click on D drive, it shows me the
> contents without the above (see attachment VistaFolderViewWrong.jpg).
>
> This is very frustrating as I cannot see full name and I have no way of
> double clicking the edge of Name column to display full name (as the
> column headers do not display at all).
>
> What else could be wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Evfu
> > Brink;1019376 Wrote:
> > Hello Evfu,
> >
> > Applying METHOD TWO in the tutorial below will reset the folder view
> > settings and should fix this for you.
> >
> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Shawn

> > > The column bar which shows Name, Date Modified, Size etc. and allows to
> > > increase or remove columns for other items like duration etc. does not
> > > appear in many folders. I tried to reset to default, apply to all
> > > folders when it does appear but nothing seems to help. How do I get the
> > > same back. I cannot change the width of the column to display the full
> > > name by double clicking on the edge of the name or sort on size or date
> > > modified etc. due to this.
> > > Any help will be appreciated.> > > > > >

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
evfu

Re: The column bar containing Name, Date Modified, Size does not appear in many folders

Hi Brink,

I can apply the folder type templates to All Items but the problem is I
cannot see the column headers in either My Computer or even in Users.
Even after applying the folder template to Details for that drive it
does not help at all.

Any other pointers on what could be wrong ?

Regards,

Evfu

--
evfu
Brink

Re: The column bar containing Name, Date Modified, Size does not appear in many folders

Evfu,

As a test, do both steps 2 and 4 in OPTION TWO of the tutorial below.
When you first open the D: drive see if there is a "desktop.ini" file
there. If there is, then delete that file to see if it helps. If there
was one to delete, then you may need to restart to apply.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/86...s-folders.html

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
evfu

Re: The column bar containing Name, Date Modified, Size does not appear in many folders

Hi Brink,

I did try the steps 2 and 4 of OPTION TWO. In fact, that is how I
always have my folder view settings. The changes that I normally do to
folder options are as follows and that was ON from the time I got Vista
two years ago.

- Always show operating system files
- Always show hidden files
- Always show extensions for all files
- Launch folder process in a different window

I also do not see desktop.ini in C:\, D:\. But I do see it C:\Users.
Should I delete the one in the C:\Users

Regards,

Evfu

--
evfu
Brink

Re: The column bar containing Name, Date Modified, Size does not appear in many folders

No, you wouldn't want to delete that one. The steps were just to be able
to see the desktop.ini file though.

I must admit that I'm stumped as to why you can see the columns in C:
but not in D: .

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
evfu

Re: The column bar containing Name, Date Modified, Size does not appear in many folders

I apologize if my statement was confusing.

I cannot see column headers in C
I cannot see column headers in D
I cannot see column headers in C:\Users
I also cannot see the column headers in many other folders. Cannot
figure any trend.

I can see the column headers in My Computer
I can see column headers for many folders. Cannot figure any trend yet.

Thinking of a file manager now.

--
evfu
Brink

Re: The column bar containing Name, Date Modified, Size does not appear in many folders

The only other way to fix this is most likely by doing a clean reinstall
of Vista though.