Solution / Vista Lacks A Real Search Engine

flamestar

Solution / Vista Lacks A Real Search Engine
XP had a great desktop search engine and Apple a bad search engine.
Vista copied Apples joke of a search engine and now you can only find
things that are not lost. I tried to make Vista's search engine work
every way I could but its impossible. So I went out and bought
Copernic Desktop Search.http://www.copernic.com/ (I do not wsork for
them nor get anything from them) and not only does their search engine
work better then Vista's it works better then XPs.
pacinitaly

Re: Solution / Vista Lacks A Real Search Engine

flamestar;1015975 Wrote:
> XP had a great desktop search engine and Apple a bad search engine.
> Vista copied Apples joke of a search engine and now you can only find
> things that are not lost. I tried to make Vista's search engine work
> every way I could but its impossible. So I went out and bought
> Copernic Desktop Search.'Copernic - Software to Search, Find, and
> Manage Information' (http://www.copernic.com/) (I do not wsork for
> them nor get anything from them) and not only does their search engine
> work better then Vista's it works better then XPs.

I too loved the search in XP.

I have been using the below links, not bad at all.

'Download Super Finder 1.5.3.2 - A powerful replacement for Windows XP
built-in search - Softpedia'
(http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...r-Finder.shtml)

'Locate32 Web Site - Home' (http://www.locate32.net/)

locate 32 is real close
superfinder allows to search by time too

--
pacinitaly

ASCII stupid question, Get A Stupid ANSI
H Brown

Re: Solution / Vista Lacks A Real Search Engine
I just had to give you some information.
If your an average computer user and find search in Vista not working
for you, you need to set your search options through "Folder Options"
in how to search. Check the box next to "Use natural language search".
You can find Folder Options by clicking Start button and typing in
the"Start Search" box ,"Folder Options" at the top of your start menu
(left side) you will see under "Programs": "Folder Options" click on
that and the folders Options dialog box opens ,under the "Search Tab"
you can make the change described above. This will work faster than
"Copernic Desktop Search" and still retain finger tip acvanced search
capabiltys.
This option was provided for those users that do not understand how to
do advanced searches. Vistas advanced search capabilities for you
system are very similar to the way search works when using Google.
I suggest, if you want to really learn how to use search in Vista, for
get about XP. The Search in XP compared to Vista is a tortoise. But
use natural language search until you learn how to use advanced search
methods. Microsoft should have set Natural Language Search as the
default, but I guess they figured this is 2009 and most people already
know how to do use some advanced search capabilities in search
engines.
Just set Use natural language search and you will be OK. The advanced
search in Vista will come to you in time through learning how to use
the advanced search syntax. But even the natural language search will
get it done faster than XP. And by the way when you set the Natural
language option you still retain all the advanced search capabilities
when you want them with out having to reset anything. They are at your
finger tips.

H Brown
"flamestar" <agnifire@gmail.com> wrote in message
> XP had a great desktop search engine and Apple a bad search engine.
> Vista copied Apples joke of a search engine and now you can only
> find
> things that are not lost. I tried to make Vista's search engine work
> every way I could but its impossible. So I went out and bought
> Copernic Desktop Search.http://www.copernic.com/ (I do not wsork
> for
> them nor get anything from them) and not only does their search
> engine
> work better then Vista's it works better then XPs.

flamestar

Re: Solution / Vista Lacks A Real Search Engine
Thank you for your answer. I started with dos and I have used setting
like these before but they don't seem to work on my computer.I tried
natural language settings but nothing changed. I tried to find any
file created today so I set the date to after 4/17/08 on the C drive
and nothing came up. I have file named Zahainya on the H drive so I
use H as the location, date any, and name Zahainya and searched and
nothing came up. How can I search under text. I remember in the 70s
when the first text editors came out. If I can't search under text
string and we are talking 40 years ago. I also would like to search
only word files can I do that?

On the other hand maybe the thing is broken because so farf all I have
gotten is 'No Items match your search.'

On Apr 10, 11:15*pm, "H Brown" <H.Br...@Invalid.com> wrote:
> I just had to give you some information.
> If your an average computer user and find search in Vista not working
> for you, you need to set your search options through "Folder Options"
> in how to search. Check the box next to "Use natural language search".
> You can find Folder Options by clicking Start button and typing in
> the"Start Search" box ,"Folder Options" at the top of your start menu
> (left side) you will see under "Programs": *"Folder Options" click on
> that and the folders Options dialog box opens ,under the "Search Tab"
> you can make the change described above. *This will work faster than
> "Copernic Desktop Search" and still retain finger tip acvanced search
> capabiltys.
> This option was provided for those users that do not understand how to
> do advanced searches. *Vistas advanced search capabilities for you
> system are very similar to the way search works when using Google.
> I suggest, if you want to really learn how to use search in Vista, for
> get about XP. *The Search in XP compared to Vista is a tortoise. *But
> use natural language search until you learn how to use advanced search
> methods. Microsoft should have set Natural Language Search as *the
> default, but I guess they figured this is 2009 and most people already
> know how to do use some advanced search capabilities in search
> engines.
> Just set Use natural language search and you will be OK. The advanced
> search in Vista will come to you in time through learning how to use
> the advanced search syntax. *But even the natural language search will
> get it done faster than XP. *And by the way when you set the Natural
> language option you still retain all the advanced search capabilities
> when you want them with out having to reset anything. They are at your
> finger tips.
>
> H Brown"flamestar" <agnif...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > XP had a great desktop search engine and Apple a bad search engine.
> > Vista copied Apples joke of a search engine and now you can only
> > find
> > things that are not lost. I tried to make Vista's search engine work
> > every way I could but its impossible. So I went out and bought
> > Copernic Desktop Search.http://www.copernic.com/* (I do not wsork
> > for
> > them nor get anything from them) and not only does their search
> > engine
> > work better then Vista's it works better then XPs.

H Brown

Re: Solution / Vista Lacks A Real Search Engine
Is Copernic Desktop Search working for you? If not index the drives and
such you want to perform searches on.
Past that you need to learn the how search works in Vista and the syntax
for advanced search in windows Vista. It is very good/fast compared to
anything I've seen.

> [...]

> language option you still retain all the advanced search capabilities
> when you want them with out having to reset anything. They are at your
> finger tips.
>
> H Brown"flamestar" <agnif...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > XP had a great desktop search engine and Apple a bad search engine.
> > Vista copied Apples joke of a search engine and now you can only
> > find
> > things that are not lost. I tried to make Vista's search engine work
> > every way I could but its impossible. So I went out and bought
> > Copernic Desktop Search.http://www.copernic.com/ (I do not wsork
> > for
> > them nor get anything from them) and not only does their search
> > engine
> > work better then Vista's it works better then XPs.

flamestar

Re: Solution / Vista Lacks A Real Search Engine
Copernic doesn't work either and I don't know how to index my
drives. Also can one search by text string?

On Apr 17, 5:05*pm, "H Brown" <H.Br...@Invalid.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > get it done faster than XP. And by the way when you set the Natural
> > language option you still retain all the advanced search capabilities
> > when you want them with out having to reset anything. They are at your
> > finger tips.

> > H Brown"flamestar" <agnif...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > XP had a great desktop search engine and Apple a bad search engine.
> > > Vista copied Apples joke of a search engine and now you can only
> > > find
> > > things that are not lost. I tried to make Vista's search engine work
> > > every way I could but its impossible. So I went out and bought
> > > Copernic Desktop Search.http://www.copernic.com/(I do not wsork
> > > for
> > > them nor get anything from them) and not only does their search
> > > engine
> > > work better then Vista's it works better then XPs.

Manny Weisbord

pacinitaly <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>check my post above

There IS no "above" on Usenet, doofus.