Copy files with folders

Jacques Latoison

Copy files with folders
Does anyone know if there is a way to copy files with their respective
folder locations?

I'm looking to do a Windows Search, and copy and paste the files found to
another location
but
I need the folder structure of the original file to be copied with the file,
so that its original location is intact.

i.e. if Windows Search finds someting in C:\Users\User1\Documents\File.docx
then we want it to copy and paste to
D:\SearchResults\Users\User1\Documents\File.docx

Is this possible?

Thanks beforehand,

Jacques

Pavel A.

Re: Copy files with folders
If you manually select the files to copy, you can write
a simple cmd script, and drag the file onto it.
Something like this:

md d:\searchresults\%~p1 && copy %1 d:\searchresults\%~p1

Or, write a shell extension (right click handler or SendTo
target - a bit more complicated)

-- pa

Jacques Latoison wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a way to copy files with their respective
> folder locations?
>
> I'm looking to do a Windows Search, and copy and paste the files found
> to another location
> but
> I need the folder structure of the original file to be copied with the
> file, so that its original location is intact.
>

> i.e. if Windows Search finds someting in C:\Users\User1\Documents\File.docx
> then we want it to copy and paste to
> D:\SearchResults\Users\User1\Documents\File.docx
>

> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks beforehand,
>
> Jacques

Jacques Latoison

Re: Copy files with folders
Are you saying that I have to do this for each file, seperately?

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOfastmailNO.fm> wrote in message
> If you manually select the files to copy, you can write
> a simple cmd script, and drag the file onto it.
> Something like this:
>
> md d:\searchresults\%~p1 && copy %1 d:\searchresults\%~p1
>
> Or, write a shell extension (right click handler or SendTo
> target - a bit more complicated)
>
> -- pa
>

> Jacques Latoison wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there is a way to copy files with their respective
>> folder locations?
>>
>> I'm looking to do a Windows Search, and copy and paste the files found to
>> another location
>> but
>> I need the folder structure of the original file to be copied with the
>> file, so that its original location is intact.
>>

>> i.e. if Windows Search finds someting in
>> C:\Users\User1\Documents\File.docx
>> then we want it to copy and paste to
>> D:\SearchResults\Users\User1\Documents\File.docx
>>

>> Is this possible?
>>
>> Thanks beforehand,
>>
>> Jacques

Pavel A.

Re: Copy files with folders
Jacques Latoison wrote:
> Are you saying that I have to do this for each file, seperately?

I'm asking how you want it to be: manually or as automated/unattended job.
If manually, the example below can be easily adapted to handle several
files passed to it in the command line.

--pa

> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOfastmailNO.fm> wrote in message
>> If you manually select the files to copy, you can write
>> a simple cmd script, and drag the file onto it.
>> Something like this:
>>
>> md d:\searchresults\%~p1 && copy %1 d:\searchresults\%~p1
>>
>> Or, write a shell extension (right click handler or SendTo
>> target - a bit more complicated)
>>
>> -- pa
>>

>> Jacques Latoison wrote:
>>> Does anyone know if there is a way to copy files with their
>>> respective folder locations?
>>>
>>> I'm looking to do a Windows Search, and copy and paste the files
>>> found to another location
>>> but
>>> I need the folder structure of the original file to be copied with
>>> the file, so that its original location is intact.
>>>

>>> i.e. if Windows Search finds someting in
>>> C:\Users\User1\Documents\File.docx
>>> then we want it to copy and paste to
>>> D:\SearchResults\Users\User1\Documents\File.docx
>>>

>>> Is this possible?
>>>
>>> Thanks beforehand,
>>>
>>> Jacques

Jacques Latoison

Re: Copy files with folders
I want it to get its info from the Windows Search itself,
meaning,
it runs a search (which would include a content search) and copies the
files, with folder structure, to another location.